Running Bear's Coffee Shop June 2018

Good afternoon .

David Trussrod .... I see you posted today in last month's coffee shop thread... I hope you see this comment.

Bob .... Perhaps, you can move David's posts of today to here.
I moved David's posts here, and closed the other thread to prevent misposting again.

Bob:. Nice job on the loco,. Is it HO and did you have to order the boiler plate special?

Also, is that a Roundhouse loco?

Regards,
David

The locomotive is O scale and HO gauge. No, that's not a contradiction. It runs on HO track, but the scale is O scale, and the track scales out to be 30 inch gauge, rather than 56-1/2. The scale was popular for a while, as it runs on normal HO truck but the equipment is larger. I forget who made it, pretty sure it's a Bachmann though. It's a stock On30 model, nothing special at all done to it, in fact I think I may still need to add handrails or something, can't recall.

MRL SD45 out and about in helper service today. There are still 5 of these on the roster and they've been needed of late. Something for Chet to keep an eye out for when he's over that way. A fairly late build this one. 1971. Although it's not showing it on the walkway front edge, it's listed in the roster as an SD45-2M, meaning it's had it's electronics updated to -2 standards. Maybe to avoid confusion with the long hood -2s.
1528624786143.png

Good Sunday Morning All. 73° and clear. Looks like our temperatures are going to remain in the 73° - 95° range for the next ten days with no rain in the forecast. Still above normal for this time of year. Heading out to one of my brother's house in Dallas later today, for a cookout/swimming/birthday party. My sister and her husband from Ohio are in Dallas for a wedding held yesterday, her birthday was Thursday. My nephew and his wife and their one year old son from Virginia are here as well and it's his wife's birthday and also his son's first. Our family likes to roll events together since there are so many of us, 57 at last count. Wish that I could remember all of their names!:rolleyes: Let's see, all 11 of the first generation, 26 of the 29 second generation, but only my three grandkids out of the 17 third generation!
Out in the train shed yesterday, I painted figures and made and installed traffic signs in several towns. Did some ground cover along the ROW in my current project area and ran a few switching runs. Won't get out there today.

Mike - Stay dry and don't float away. I do understand missing those mowing opportunities.
Terry - It's not just you and me, I believe that most women are that way. At least the married ones are.
Curt - Continued best wishes and prayers for your SIL. I disagree with you regarding the pool. As much maintenance and expense as it is (maybe $400/season), we have thoroughly enjoyed ours for 23 years. Of course being that it is above-ground makes many maintenance chores much easier.
Dave in PV - Always liked the "Bloody Nose" paint scheme on SP locos.

Gotta go now, I haven't taken my walk yet and need to get it done before Mass. Busy day today.
Everyone have a great day.

Just been looking through Cannon&Co's list of roof top fans to see if they had one to suit the SD80MAC. None of theirs go past the earlier EMD models. Haven't been able to find a proto size for them, or any decent roof views. The scale size of the model's is exactly 15mm diam or .58-.59". The way Kato has built that section is in 4 pieces additional to the main shell, everything a press fit. The fans themselves are molded onto the top of an inverted U section that pushes up into the shell from the bottom, on top of that is a flat plate with holes that the fans fit through, the shell has a rectangular hole that this assembly fits up into (a narrow edge and side notches prevent it exiting out) and the side radiator extensions plug into the sides by 4 short pegs. Seems very complicated.

The fact that there are holes already in this flat plate would possibly make it easier to fit custom fans, the only proviso being that the holes are formed so as to pass up over the edges of the fan assembly flanges. It would mean also the deletion of the inverted U bracing and gluing everything together, which would have the benefit of allowing more width within the shell for either the decoder or an additional speaker.

By eliminating the DC board and modifying (removing it's mountings on the motor carrier) the ESU decoder, or a speaker could be fitted in it's place with room to spare also. Shortening the lighting "pipes", as I mentioned before will add to that, so what was a loco that, from what I have seen elsewhere, was a challenge space wise for speakers, should have much better features.

I have written to Cannon's to see if they can suggest one of their fans, the 48" is probably the most likely. 15 x 87 = 1305mm or 53.26", could be workable. If the 48" is an outside dimension of the ring, then 1220mm divided by 87 =14.02mm. Hopefully the 48" is the fan blades size, sounds more logical.

Good morning. A chang in weather for today. Yesterday we got up to 92 degrees and today we may get into the mid 60's. No outdoor projects as I will be watching the NASCAR race this afternoon.

Justin - Sweet photos. Thanks for posting.

Toot - It's hard to keep up with what MRL is doing. I believe that I may have seen one of these in service. I can remember back in the 70's and 80's with a string of locomotives lined up ready to go into their rebuild shops. Have a picture somewhere of a number of ex CNW units lined up.

It was nice to get over to the club last night. Saw a lot of action over Bozeman pass on the way over. Kept up all evening. Passed 2 westbound trains on the way back. No photos though as I prefer to keep my eyes on the road at 80 mph.

Here are some photos taken last night. One of our members does a really nice job on flat car loads. Here are some of them. It was a bust night with 8 trains running and you had to keep on your toes.

20180609_192652.jpg

20180609_192704.jpg

20180609_192710.jpg

Here are a few very easy scrap loads I found in different locations around the layout.

20180609_192555.jpg

20180609_192603.jpg

Here is the largest yard on the layout, Still too short for the Empire Buil;der to park on one track.

20180609_192839.jpg

Here's a shot of the engine facilities.

20180609_194038.jpg

The last photo is of my little RS=1 passing through the Gardiner loop. This scratch built station and town are just outstanding. Visitors never stop commenting on it. No only did the Northern Pacific ring passengers to tour Yellowstone PArk, but brough all sorts of supplies, food and important things such as BEER to the town. The regular passenger service was discontinued in 1955 with an occasional special train for the next couple of years until the line from Livingston was discontinued as the improved roads made it easier for trucks to supple the town and visitors to the park to use their own vehicles.

20180609_202830.jpg

Later

Ray, I installed a board-replacement decoder in a Kato SD90 (same engine) by replacing the board with a Loksound 6 aux board replacement decoder, and cutting off the light bar to the rear headlight, and installing an iPhone speaker in the space where the light bar was.
Here's a link to a video of the end effect, after all was said and done:

Somehow, the post went from "I'd put a Loksound aux 6 in the SD80, to "I put that in the SD90". The one in the SD90 is a Soundtraxx Econami.

Last edited:
Good afternoon everyone....cool and rainy here in Wisconsin.

When to the cabin yesterday and got a call from the Mrs. that she forgot to pack my pills. I only had Saturday's pills. She tried to catch up to me but gave up after chasing after me 32 miles. I drove back home this morning.....! Some rain at 75 mph.

After lunch today at least I did the gas line hookup to the range and move the range it back into place. Plumber comes Tuesday morning at 8:00 AM.

Tomorrow all trains....I I hope.

Chet: Nice photos of gon loads. You're lucky to have a club like yours to attend and run trains. Do they have work "nights".

BNSF:
Sweet sounding SD90. Nice work.

That's all for now.

Greg

###################

I just may have the chance to get down to the train room unnoticed by the Mrs. Just may see what hand rails I need for my NP Business Car.

Greg

Greg -- Don't try and be too sneaky .. she may think you are trying to hide something?

Willie -- You are just a busy guy. I had a pool a while back. Wife and I thought the girls would love it?
I think I used it more than the rest of the family added together. Was very glad to sell that property and get out from under it. Couldn't keep the water balanced, and couldn't keep the neighbors leaves from my yard and the pool - I needed one of those fences they put up at driving ranges - he kept telling me that his trees did not shed leaves - I told him that was because they were all in my yard! The problem was the prevailing wind!

Nice loco sound Terry!

Great photos from the club there, Chet! The flatcar loads are top-notch!

Beautiful day at 81 degrees today -- going to go and enjoy it!

Happy Friday everyone!

I got to take pictures of a cute train someone brought in yesterday to be fixed up. A Bachmann HO Locomotive.

The buyer doesn't see any hope in it, but I think our guys can get her working again!

How is everyone else doing so far?

View attachment 28226
Well, I was OK 'til I saw the backwards tender !! Or, Is the tender correct but the engine is on the wrong end of the tender, and itself backwards ? !!....... I will say this: Though it's obviously not a Spectrum series model and not DCC, it certainly has nice flanges for a lower end product..Probably runs smooth, too. MH

Ray, I installed a board-replacement decoder in a Kato SD90 (same engine) by replacing the board with a Loksound 6 aux board replacement decoder, and cutting off the light bar to the rear headlight, and installing an iPhone speaker in the space where the light bar was.
Here's a link to a video of the end effect, after all was said and done:

Somehow, the post went from "I'd put a Loksound aux 6 in the SD80, to "I put that in the SD90". The one in the SD90 is a Soundtraxx Econami.
Great sound coming out of that combination. The decoder I'm going to use is a Loksound Select with SD70MAC soundfile. A couple of the guys in the club have the Locprogrammer and I understand the file can be changed to the one for the "80", although I doubt there would be much discernable difference. The speaker I hope to use is an iPhone 6, but it may be a just too wide for the shell. I have seen some iP6 earpiece speakers that appear much smaller, other than that I had marked improvement with the iP4s ones, replacing the Athearn supplied in their SD40's. I want to get the ditch lights on independent control too, which is not an option with the Kato setup, having the 1 LED suits all arrangement. Whether replacing the fans will work out is another thing also.
Interestingly, all of these NS 80MAC's are up for rebuilding into 80ACU designation. Up from 5000HP to 5500HP, Mitsubishi inverters and SD70ACe type isolated cabs. As other rebuilds of NS's have featured their distinctive cab styling, I guess that will continue with that modification. The 90MACS have been brought up to 4500HP and had the ACU replace the MAC letters.

I'm just gonna throw this one out there?
Back in the late 40's - early 50's ... what size grab irons were on the 8-10k tank cars and the 40 foot box and gons? Were they 18, or 22 inch? Or something else?

Good morning everyone. 72 and sunny here - - TOO sunny - - we need rain!! If any of you have extra, bottle it and send it over this way!! Won't be long and they'll declare a drought for this part of the state. And I get tired of dragging hoses around to water the garden, grass, landscaping, etc. Too cheap to put in an automatic sprinkler system.

As you know, I've been off the forum for a week or so. My wife and I represented our university at a conference in Texas last week. I had my iPad with me but it would not let me post to this forum. Weird. I'll email Bob separately although I don't know anything can be done about it.

As Willie posted last Thursday, we met up at a local hobby shop near him, Discount Model Trains in Addison, TX (north of Dallas). We were on our way back to Springfield. I made a deal with my wife: we stop at the train store to meet Willie and to buy a few things for the layout, and then we'll go to Sam Moon (discount purses, jewelry, belts, etc.). She spent about twice as much as I did, but it was worth it.

Here's a photo of Willie and me at the train store. Two guesses who is who:
WillieAndJohnnyAtDiscountModelTrainsJune2018.jpg

Great to meet a fellow model railroader. And, yes,, I picked up a NYC flatcar, some automobiles, and a few other items.

Took last Friday off work (after the conference and the long drive) so had a long weekend to catch up on yardwork and the layout. Finished a DPM structure - I have a place on the layout for it but not sure what business it will be. I also made room in the town for another Merchants Row IV so I got started on that. Ballasted a section of track, glued down some roadway and some parking lots, and did some other landscaping. The town is starting to look like a lively place now..

Got a pot of coffee on and it's calling my name. Have a good day everyone.

Good morning .... Currently, it is 74. High will be 90.

Chet ... Your photos of the Livingston club are very impressive. I would like to see that.

Toot .... The clean MRL SD45 looks better than the dirty SP SD45 posted here the day before.

Terry .... The SD90 sounds very good.

Johnny .... Great photo of you and Willie .... Glad you guys could get together.

Good Morning All. 78° (Ugggh!) and mostly cloudy to start the week. Burgers and beer were the order of the day yesterday at the "mini family reunion" held at my brothers house. Probably the first time in ten years that all six of my parents kids were together at the same time. As the oldest child of my parents, I am considered the patriarch of the family which now numbers 58 (one more than I posted yesterday, missed one of my nieces kids). 45 of us managed to make it yesterday. Still didn't learn any more third generation names!
Actually got home in time to spend a few minutes in the train shed, where I unpacked and inspected a DPM structure kit, one of their newer offerings called "County Courthouse". I have an old Model Power courthouse kit that I assembled over twenty years ago, but it seemed to grandiose for this particular location. I still have another location that it will fit though. Back to the DPM kit, it is one of their more advanced kits, containing nine wall sections and three sprues of add-on detail parts. Still has molded in windows which will have to be painted individually, a task that I don't particularly mind although it will take several days.

Chet - Absolutely great series of pictures yesterday from the club. I was especially interested in both the flatcar loads and the gondola loads. I'll have to get some more pictures of some of mine in addition to the ones that I posted last month. I still have some more of both that I could load.
Greg - I appreciate your story regarding the pills. It seems that the older I get, the more I take, both prescription and supplements. Not nearly as many as my wife, but more than I want. Heaven forbid if they get rearranged on the shelf! I would spend half a day reading labels and putting them back in place. Most of mine are for BP.
Sherrel - Fortunately my trees don't normally shed leaves during the pool season. The cover and prevailing wind takes care of the rest during fall.
Mark - Good to see you post in the Coffee Shop. I think that the tender is just turned backwards in the picture, as the connector to the engine (vertical post) is in back.
Johnny - Good to see you posting again. I thoroughly enjoyed or get-together last week and it was a pleasure meeting the young lady who tolerates you and your hobby addiction. I'll see if I have any pictures of my MR IV build that might give you some inspiration or ideas.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning fellers. Rainy start to the week. Nothing new to report. Well atleast from the train room. I've held off on building on it due to a good possibility of a move in my future. I started my build prior to the news of an addition to the family. So damage control dictates to go no further than where I'm at. I'm ok with my plywood central for the moment. Broken turnouts aside I'm content. Trying to find a location to move to however is stressful!!!! Hopefully everything comes together. Found this online this morning. A GP18 I think?

Attachments

• 33081637_1945456145465114_1488114650900856832_o.jpg
    33081637_1945456145465114_1488114650900856832_o.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 147

Back