Running Bear's Coffee Shop June 2018

Good Morning All. Happy Father's Day to all fathers and your fathers etc. Here it is 75° going up to 92° today. At least that's about 2° cooler than it has been, we're still above normal as we have been since April. Headed out later today for a Father's Day brunch with my daughter and SIL and grandkids. Whew! Spent over an hour mowing the east and north sides of the estate yesterday, about 1.5 acres total with lots of trees to dodge.
The wildlife saga continues on the SFW estate, with another young critter showing up yesterday.
06-15-18 002.001.JPG

That's the best picture that I could get since it was retreating very rapidly. A very small white-tailed deer. This critter probably didn't weigh any more than 7-8 lbs. My wife saw a mature doe about 25 yards to the right across the road earlier in the week. Here's a blurred image when it was closer.
06-15-18 001.JPG

To add to that, I spotted a wild turkey two days in a row strutting across the southwest part of the yard. Wife says it's a peacock, but it isn't. While rare, I have seen turkeys while out walking around dusk before but never this close to home. It was too fast yesterday for a picture.
I had a better day out in the train shed than I did Friday. I painted more windows and completed the concrete trim on the DPM court house. I also painted and attached most of the roof details. I still need to paint the "swamp cooler" and the A/C unit. Trying to decide on the best colors and Google pics are not helping. Seems like I remember most coolers were either a beige or buff color with some rust on top and along the lower vents. Installed another backdrop sheet yesterday, behind the scene that I am working on. This area is backwards, I usually but not always, get the backdrop up and painted right after the benchwork in front is completed.

Curt - Happy 40th Anniversary. Kind of neat being able to celebrate it on Father's Day. Continued prayers for your SIL.
Phil - Hope that your wife recovers soon.
Ken (D&J) - Fascinating story regarding your uncle.

Everybody have a great Father's Day.

Good morning all. Happy Fathers Day to all and your Dads. Already hot and muggy and will get hotter and muggier. Gee, it must be summer.
Best wishes to all. Enjoy the day and again, CURT and KATHY , happy anniversary.

Phil

That wouldn't have been Cliff Power's MA&G would it? I've followed his layout for years.
Willy- you win the cigar for the right answer!
Cliff wants to build another layout with a coal mining theme and sold the current layout to a man who bought a home near Cliff. After the move and re-assembly, Cliff will have visitation rights.
Cliff had visitors from Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana and Mississippi for the final showing.

Happy Father;s Day to all!

Yeah, happy Father's Day to all who it applies to.
I have to fix the ramp going into my yard shed. The cutter blades on my yard tractor keep catching on the floor edge when I try to drive it in there. Something has shifted over the past few weeks when we had all that rain.
Happy Day to You as well, KEN!
As far as the lawn tractor - You might consider adding more air pressure to the tires? LOL

Willy- you win the cigar for the right answer!
Cliff wants to build another layout with a coal mining theme and sold the current layout to a man who bought a home near Cliff. After the move and re-assembly, Cliff will have visitation rights.
Cliff had visitors from Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana and Mississippi for the final showing.

Happy Father;s Day to all!
I wonder if the "final showing" was anytime during our "drive-a-thon"? If I had known - I might have tried to stop!

Good morning. It's partly cloudy and 73. Air quality alert remains in effect.
The Post-Club Culling continues. When it's all over, the newest thing on my layout, era-wise, is going to be a Rapido Dash-8--and that mainly because the guy that owns the company gave it to me. In regular service, the newest thing is a B30-7, and the biggest thing is an SD40-2. Focusing on smaller, older stuff, and not worrying about operating it in a club environment is a great thing.
TERRY -- That can be a good thing. I think that the older, smaller locos have much more personality than the "look-alike" monsters on the rails today. To me - you cannot beat a string of F Units, or Alco's pulling a freight ... or a string of passenger cars.

Happy Fathers Day to all you bums!
It was near 50 degrees last evening and will only reach another 70 today. Something about a tropical storm down Mexico way, but still does not want to rain around here.

This will be short -- Wife had to go to the ER last night. Her potassium levels had dropped so that when her doctor reviewed her blood work, she called her yesterday afternoon and told her to go straight to the ER for a drip. We left a barbeque (family type) and headed to the hospital - finally got home around 2 this morning. They wound up giving her two bags of solution. Both of us are moving sort of half speed - slower than our normal "slow" speed.

Curt - Happy Anniversary to you and the Ms.!

Happy Fathers Day

Not a very nice day outside. 50 derees with rain and wind. No race today so I will be down in the train room running trains..

Willie - For us up here in Montana, deer are pests. More deer are killed by motor vehicles than by hunters. A few years back I nailed three deer in 5 weeks. The guy at the body shop said that he moved the target to the back bumper and I haven't got any since. In the fall we do have some come into the yard to eat any remaining apples that we haven't picked.

Curt - Happy Anniversary.

It was a busy night at the club last night. Lots of visitors and a couple of the members were running two trains at one time. That does make things interesting as the layout is in three rooms. Really had to be on your toes.

Here's my RS-1 pulling into the station at Gardiner ro drop off mail, pick up passengers and also pick up a couple of empty box cars.

20180616_195759.jpg

One of the members was whining because there were no passengers in the train and it was not making any revenue. I still have a bunch of unpainted figures on my work bench so if I can figure out how to get inside the combine, I'll take care of that.

Time to get some train projects done now that I finallty have some time.

Later

Looks like Detroit's old Michigan Central terminal has been saved. Hope the lobby is open to the public after the renovation.
Ford to remake Detroit's most famous ruin

http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/17/news/companies/ford-michigan-central-station/index.html
BEADY -- I certainly hope that he is successful in revamping this structure. Whoo - a lot of work, time, and bucks!
Would be nice if they leave room for the possibility of a commuter rail line later on - if the need arises?
If the Interstate had not gobbled up most of the old right of way, it would be nice if rail service was restored back here now that the MetroLink has come as far south as South Perris/Sun City about 25 miles north of me.

I wonder if the "final showing" was anytime during our "drive-a-thon"? If I had known - I might have tried to stop!
Sherrill-
Yesterday was the last showing. I heard them say that the helix is already gone and the rest of the layout starts coming down on Monday.
However, if you had been around, you would have been welcome. Cliff is that kind of guy.

Sherrill-
Yesterday was the last showing. I heard them say that the helix is already gone and the rest of the layout starts coming down on Monday.
However, if you had been around, you would have been welcome. Cliff is that kind of guy.

Damn -- we went through there in Last week of April! He could have added CA to the list!
Thanks

Afternoon All,

Just a quick note. Thank you all for the Anniversary well wishes.

Sherrel- I hope your wife is doing better.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Afternoon everyone.....back from the cabin and its HOT out!

"Years ago I was on I-90 in Wisconsin near Tomah when a group of A-10 Warthogs came right over the tree tops, That will grab your attention."

................................ Chet

Chet: Living in Wisconsin, I been to the Tomah area many times and seen the A-10's flying overhead. Several years ago, they flew at tree top level over our cabin. I hear the government wants to end the A-10 program.

Tomorrow, train layout day....for sure.

The Waupaca area structures need to be placed in their locations, gravel roadway installed and lighting wired to power. Work planned on the junk yard. I have two NIB engines that I would like to break in.

That's all for now.

Greg

###############################################################

Good afternoon and happy Father's Day.

Chet .... I like the shot of the RS1 at the Gardiner depot. Sounds like a rivet counter was not happy with lack of passengers in the coach. Maybe that was prototypical before service was abandoned. .... LOL

I remember seeing A-10's at Selfridge Air Base in Michigan.

We had trees removed on Friday. They were big trees too close to the house. We did not want to take a chance on having a storm blow one onto the house.

42863241431_bca5eeb24d_b.jpg

]
41960866855_36f005a238_b.jpg

That wouldn't have been Cliff Power's MA&G would it? I've followed his layout for years.
I am stunned to now know that that layout has been dismantled, I followed that from just before he started on the upper level. 11 years of existence, unbelievable, to be now not whole anymore. It was only last week I referred a club member to look it up, because he is in the early stages of a multi level layout build.

I am stunned to now know that that layout has been dismantled, I followed that from just before he started on the upper level. 11 years of existence, unbelievable, to be now not whole anymore. It was only last week I referred a club member to look it up, because he is in the early stages of a multi level layout build.

I just read the bit that it has been sold for re-assembly, thank goodness for that. But what a task, Wow!

Added some air to the rear tires of the tractor and elevated the ramp a little and all is good.
I'm going to head out about 4am tomorrow to go up to Altoona, PA to watch trains for the day. I'll probably check out Cresson, Galitzen as well as the pedestrian bridge in Altoona, PA. This is the last time I'll ever go there if its another dude. I've made quite a few trips there only to be very dissapointed by the scant two or three trains I would see in a day of rail fanning.

Hope a Happy Father's Day was enjoyed by all. It was hot here in Central Wisconsin, with some strong storms pushing through from late afternoon into the over night hours. Noob here in the forum, but will try to stay active.

Back