Running Bear's Coffee Shop June 2018

She has the nerve to ask for my opinion in the store when she has ignored everything I have suggested for the last month regarding this renovation. Not that I was expecting anything different.
As long as you remembered to say "Yes dear", "No dear", in the appropriate places whilst preparing mentally to be accused of not really wanting to help her make a decision.

That clump of grass serves four functions; Surrounds a dismantled satellite dish that hasn't made it to the recycling center yet, shows the wife how well I maintain the rest of the place, is a wildlife refuge for our resident snakes and provides a view block from the road to the pool ladder.
Least I was close on one of them.

Good morning. 50 degrees to start off the day with a high expected to only be in the 60's.

Talked to Phil last night wondering if he was alright as he hasn't posted for a while. He has had problems logging in to the forum since it was updated. Also talked with Ken in MD. He said that he has just been extremely busy. He's been weathering rolling stock getting ready for an op session and just hasn't had much spare time. I was a bit concerned as they both haven't posted for a while.

Mikey - Nice to see that you are finally settled in enough and found room to put up a layout. Nice to see you in here again. I can see why you want to have your layout at a lower level for the grand kids. The lower level might make it a bit more difficult to work underneath. Mine averages around 48 inches. When the grand sons want to run the trains, I have a couple of old chairs for them to stand on. I am at the age where thing don't bend as easy as they used to. Having a hight level did pay off when I was installing the Woodland Scenics LED lighting. You'll have to post some photos of your progress. I can understand your sticker shock on the fasteners. Holy crap! Years ago I was looking for some fasteners in my favorite local hardware store and saw a bucket of all sorts of nuts, bolts and other fasteners. I asked the clerk what that was all about. He said that they were what customers had left out on the counter instead of putting them back where they came from. He made me a heck of a deal. 25 cents a pound because it would have taken so much time to try to locate where each belonged. Couldn't pass that one up. I have made a lot of use for them over the years and still have quite a lot of really good ones left.

Sherrel - Enjoyed the video. When was working at the FBO at out local airport, we had the government contract for fueling military aircraft and it was always interesting to see what came in. We had f-18's in on a regular basis for pilots flying out of Miramar for their cross country training. The national guard was also in on a regular basis also. We had to put in an extra tank in the fuel farm for JP-8 just for the military aircraft. We also hosted a few air shows while I was working there hosting the Blue Angels once. I did manage to get a ride in a B-17 when we had a number of war birds visit. That was a real hoot. The best seat was in the nose blister.

collings-02.jpg

It sure is nice to see these aircraft preserved.

Willie - I pretty well did the same thing when it came to painting all of those windows. I would do around 8 to 10 and then move on to something else to give the peepers a rest. On the renovation subject, been there and done that. Besides the kitchen where everything but the cabinets were replaced and the gutting of two bathrooms, I can say that I feel your pain. Thankfully the wife hates granite counter tops and she went for solid surface. Once they were in, I went to our local hardware store and picked up what I thought would work. Lucky for me she really liked the choice. We were able to agree on the bathroom fixtures also. Lucked out there.

Johnny - A lake? Waiting to see how it comes out. I want to put a small pond in but have procrastinated ordering the "water". I used Woodland Scenics water effects for a river and am happy with the results.

Beady - Couldn't watch the near misses. I don't have anything to do with facebook.

Rain is in the forecast for tomorrow and won't get the outdoor projects planned done so I am hoping to get some work done on the layout, or projects for it. A trip to the club in Livingston is also on the menu.

Here's a rail picture for today.

3483f67a-cfb9-4395-8c73-f59f559aed71.JPG

Later

Afternoon All,

For some reason it feels like it should be Saturday or Sunday. We're watching the grandkids overnight and tomorrow until supper when we're all getting together to take Dad out for Fathers Day. Sunday is my 40th wedding anniversary, not bad for only dating 3 months before getting married.:cool:. SIL started her treatment for PML today.

Sherrel- Was the B36 the one with jets and props?

Willie- Maybe you can do something with magnets.

Johnny- What kind of school is it?

I hope everyone has a good night.

Thanks to those who asked about me . I'm alright- just putting up with life and MURPHEY . A lot of family problems hitting at the same time.. Wife not feeling well-One of my meds giving me problems. That about sums it up.
And to make it worse, to darn hot and muggy in the garage to run a train or two. Also the fact that my pike is such a nothing when compared to what gets posted here.
Came across this quote that sort of explains my feeling- " Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example ."
Congratulations CURT. Many more happy ones to you and KATHY .
Phil

Today was a research day.
I searched for my Shopvac in the wood shop and found it when I researched the pile of empty cardboard boxes stacked in front of my pickup.
The vac was full and after emptying it, I searched and researched for anew filter.
Same silly game searching for the right size drill bit, then the cordless drill , the battery charger and the electric drill while the battery was charging.
By the time I got everything located, I was hot and tired. I decided to go take a short nap and that was a success!
I'll try again tomorrow after visiting a layout in Brandon, Miss.

Good morning guys. Ops session at the club today. I'll meet with a few other guys for breakfast at 7AM then go on up to Quantico for the 9:30 play time.
My brother was in town this past week with his daughter. We had some time to tour the Fredericksburg Civil War battlefield. I have an uncle (GG Grandmother's brother) who served with the 44th NY Volunteers and was wounded during battle in December of 1862. He was in the thickest of the fighting just a hundred yards from the wall on the sunken road for those who know of the battle. He convalesced and was returned to his unit in time for the battle of the Wilderness were he was shot through the head. He lived but was mostly blind the rest of his life. Died at age 93.

Good Morning All. 77° and clear here in North Central Texas. Humidity seems a little high at 76%. Been picking tomatoes and squash in the garden. No peppers yet, it may have gotten too hot too quickly for them. Spread grass clippings and compost on the defunct onion/lettuce/spinach/beet patch prior to tilling it all in for some fall use. I also added additional hay as mulch around the tomato rows. Mulch shades the ground keeping it cooler, keeps weeds from sprouting, conserves moisture, keeps your shoes from getting muddy and decomposes on the bottom to provide nutrients to the soil.
Out in the train shed yesterday, I had a lousy day. Started painting more windows on the courthouse and the paintbrush slipped three different times getting unwanted paint on some surrounding brickwork. I set that aside. I then started to attach cyclists to their bicycles and broke a bicycle. glued it back together and went on to a second one, partially broke it as well. Repaired it and set them aside. I then ran a train over the recent grade crossing that I had installed and a number of cars derailed. This didn't happen when I tested it with many different engines earlier in the week. Discovered that the outer board had a rise in the middle that was lifting the wheel overhang up enough to cause the derailment. Didn't happen to the heavier engines when I ran them alone. Removed it with very careful prying and found a piece of stray plaster had gotten beneath it. Successfully cleaned everything out and reinstalled the board. At this point I decided that the day wasn't meant for modeling, so I installed without incident, several 8' sheets of backdrop sheathing over the 2" x 2" framing.

Beady - I don't do Facebook so it didn't work for me.
Phil - There are no pikes that are "nothing".
Mikey - If you have the chance when in Brandon, go another 14 miles west and visit the layouts at the Mississippi Agriculture & Forestry Museum, in Jackson. They have four layouts in there and the HO scale is really nicely done.

Everybody have a great day and weekend.

SAM & WILLIE- My DNA is lacking the ARTISTIC gene. That's why I named my pike The BAREBONES R.R.

I don't NEED more cars, but what hurts is SCALE and Walthears have come out with Tropicana and FEC cars that I would dearly love to have. M&M is more important. [Thats mortgage and meds, not to forget food.
Wish y'all a great weekend,
Phil

Well -- After 100.8 two days ago and a drop to 83 yesterday - today is forecast to be a high of 70? Yes, that's what it says! I'll take it, Thank you.

Curt - Yes, the B36 had six rear facing recip engines and four jet engines - two on each wing. Also -- Sorry I forgot to say, but CA wildfires have mostly been up on the North of LA. We had one next door town in Murrieta, but it was more localized and quickly snuffed out.

Willie/Mikey - Sometimes it just happens like that -- mostly everyday around here.
When it does - I just try and NOT pick up anything sharp!

Phil -- I hear you on the artist ability. Rembrandt, I are not! Sam gave me something to contemplate on though; I just may try and do his "ONE SQUARE FOOT" and see what happens?

Did I miss anyone? Jessie, good to see you back!
Sure wish it would rain?

Good morning, everybody ....

Curt .... Congratulations on your anniversary ...

Phil .... Good seeing you again.... I hope your wife is feeling better and the satiation with on of your meds is coerced soon. Your comments are making me think I should not post layout photos.

Willie ... I'm glad you solved you derailment problem. I use a straight edge such as a steel rule on the rail tops to find problems such as you described. There can also be dips in the track which cause derailments, and a steel rule on the rails will find them too.

Ken D&J ... You have interesting family history regarding the Civil War.

GARRY- Please keep posting photos- PLEASE-PLEASE-PLEASE !!!! Same goes to ALL who post photos. Never ceases to astonish me to view the beauty of works.
FUMBLE FINGERS FLIP aka Phil.

Good morning. 48 degrees and cloudy to start off the day. We have had periods of both rain and sun. I like the rail as it was getting close to the time that the hoses would have to be dragged out for watering the lawn.

UPS and the Post Office. For Fathers day, my wife ordered me a Sirius radio that I could either in my car or in the house with a docking station. When she ordered it, she gave Sirius our post office box number as we do not get mail delivery to the house and receive out mail at the Gallatin Gateway Post Offive. Sirius told her that they needed the physical address because it would be shipped UPS.

A number of years ago, the county did a new GIS survey and we finally got a street address. The purpose was for fire and police. One problem. The GIS address has a Bozeman address even though we live outside the town of Gallatin Gateway.

Yesterday she checked the tracking number and found out that it was undeliverable. UPS instead of delivering it to the house, delivered it to the Post Office in Bozeman. The Bozeman Post Office does not deliver to us. The problem was the zip codes. We have had scores of deliveries to our house from UPS over the years even though at one time when we had no street address. Years ago I know the UPS guy and he always got the packages to us. One time he saw my pickup outside the local saloon and delivered it to me. Their system would reject the Gallatin Gateway address zip code because of the county survey. What a cluster ****. She got a hold of Sirius and they cancelled the first order and processed a new one and will be shipping it to her work address.

Ken D&J - We enjoy visiting teh Civil War battlefield and monuments when we get the opportunity. My wife has been able to trace her family tree back to Europe and the some of her relatives coming to the US on the Mayflower. She also found out that she had relatives fighting on both sides at the battle of Gettysburg. Hope the train show has good attendance and that you are able to take some video.

Phil -
I'm really happy to see you stop by and join us for a cup.

I have managed to get some more figures painted but still have scores more to do. Don't know how many more I'll need as I do model a fairly sparsely populated area. May go down to the train room and run some trains when I go down to get my stuff together to run at the club this evening.

Later

Mikey - If you have the chance when in Brandon, go another 14 miles west and visit the layouts at the Mississippi Agriculture & Forestry Museum, in Jackson. They have four layouts in there and the HO scale is really nicely done.

Willie- I agree that the museum in Jackson is well worth a visit just to see the HO scale layout, which I saw about 3 years ago.

The 240 mile trip over to Brandon was pure pleasure and worth the time and effort. Among the HO scenes there is the Port of New Orleans with ships, warehouses and rail facilities. The Union Station passenger facility is huge and loaded with rolling stock. There are numerous small scenes like a lumber mill, a logging operation, seed and feed facility in the midst of rural businesses. I only got 43 photos before my camera battery died.
I'm certainly glad I got to see the layout before it is disassembled and moved next week. At least his 25' x 50" G scale layout will still be there for him to run while he starts a new regional layout. That I will plan to go see at later date.

Good morning. It's partly cloudy and 73. Air quality alert remains in effect.
The Post-Club Culling continues. When it's all over, the newest thing on my layout, era-wise, is going to be a Rapido Dash-8--and that mainly because the guy that owns the company gave it to me. In regular service, the newest thing is a B30-7, and the biggest thing is an SD40-2. Focusing on smaller, older stuff, and not worrying about operating it in a club environment is a great thing.

Willie- I agree that the museum in Jackson is well worth a visit just to see the HO scale layout, which I saw about 3 years ago.

The 240 mile trip over to Brandon was pure pleasure and worth the time and effort. Among the HO scenes there is the Port of New Orleans with ships, warehouses and rail facilities. The Union Station passenger facility is huge and loaded with rolling stock. There are numerous small scenes like a lumber mill, a logging operation, seed and feed facility in the midst of rural businesses. I only got 43 photos before my camera battery died.
I'm certainly glad I got to see the layout before it is disassembled and moved next week. At least his 25' x 50" G scale layout will still be there for him to run while he starts a new regional layout. That I will plan to go see at later date.
That wouldn't have been Cliff Power's MA&G would it? I've followed his layout for years.

Good all,

Happy Fathers day to all the dads! Going to be a hot one again. looking at mid 90s again with extremely high humidity. Going to brunch later today with my wife, and daughter, looking forward to my big plate of bacon!

Have a great day everyone!

Yeah, happy Father's Day to all who it applies to.
I have to fix the ramp going into my yard shed. The cutter blades on my yard tractor keep catching on the floor edge when I try to drive it in there. Something has shifted over the past few weeks when we had all that rain.

Back