Running Bear's Coffee Shop August 2018

I hope some of your fears are allayed once your wife has some treatment Terry, but wise to take stock of your possible situation.

Terry, it's good to hear things are moving in the right direction. We pray it keeps going in the right direction.

May God be with you both.

Good morning everyone. 73 and rainy out there - a thunder storm moved through just before dawn - scared the daylights out of us and interrupted power for a second a couple of times.

Terry - Our thoughts and prayers continue for you and your wife. We'll pray things work out so that your worries about the future will be relieved.

From the modeling workbench: I was going to paint that DPM structure's trim last night. Got out a bottle of PolyScale Vermont Green, one of those bottles I bought from my LHS's stash of old PolyScale paint. Well, this bottle's never been opened, and it would not open no matter what I did: hot water bath, tapping the cap with a screwdriver, rubber grip on the cap. Nothing worked. I twisted that thing til my hands hurt. So I tried a technique that has worked before - I got a pair of locking pliers gently on the cap and twisted the bottle with my free hand - - yup - the bottle broke open in my hand. My first thought was, "What a mess - green paint everywhere, including all over my hands, shirt, even a few drops splashed onto the DPM walls. My next thought was, "I hope I'm not bleeding" 'cause there were pieces of glass scattered and half a broken bottle still in my hand. But I escaped without a single scratch. Took 15 minutes to get the paint off me, another 15 minutes to sort of clean up the mess. My poor workbench will forever have a large splotch of green paint on it. Never too old to learn, I guess. Anybody got other ideas about opening really tough paint bottles?

Coffee's calling. Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 77° and clear and dry. The weather people have inserted a chance of rain into their forecast, for three days beginning Monday; it wasn't there yesterday. My wife has decided that there are issues with the newly remodeled bathroom. Funny thing is that I told her of these issues long before we started, but she didn't acknowledge that. Chief among them is the lack of towel racks. We had three in the old bathroom, we now have one plus a towel ring. Another is the height of the new vanity. It looks good but it is 39" tall, old one was 32", allowing plenty of bending over room since it was waist-high. We now have to stand back further and bending over to spit toothpaste is becoming an art, like using a spittoon. I told her to walk over and spit in the shower, but she didn't appreciate that suggestion. Life goes on!
Gave the mower a much needed break yesterday, even though I haven't completed the "back 40" yet. Instead, I gathered up piles of grass clippings and moved them to the garden to use as next years mulch and for composting.
Moving on to the train shed, I started the day by re-staging a few unit through freights and changing up the motive power. I am not really ready to implement my switching program at this point in life. While I have all industries, car types, capacities, frequencies and freight cars entered into the program, I have not input the locations of any of the 800 freight cars. I put together the track cleaning train and promptly shorted everything out. Seems that the cleaning wrap on my Centerline car had worn through in just the right spots to allow the brass roller to contact both rails. It took a while to locate the supply of new ones since I didn't have any "Handi-Wipes" in the house that I could use. My cleaning train consists of a masonite car to clean any loose debris, pushed by an engine and followed by the Centerline car with its alcohol soaked roller, followed by an old Bachmann cleaning caboose with a dry felt pad to wipe off any residue.

Chet - You're making progress on that RIP track I see. I have hundreds of those springs, and it's one of the few things that I remember where they are stashed. I made all of my staging yards open so I wouldn't lose track of anything in them. They do take up some real estate but they also impress visitors. Nice night time scenes.
Greg - I would love to see some of your rain here, but it unfortunately doesn't come from there to here, ever! Thankful enough for the 8'.5" we got recently, even though it all fell in two days, it was the first real rain since April. Rot is not a problem here fortunately.
Louis -
If you lived near me I would ask if we could carve out a couple of baseball fields, football field and a basketball court. For the kids to play ball.
I purposely didn't plant trees in a 60' x 220' area in the front yard so my kids and now grandkids could use it as various ball fields. It's the easiest part to mow.
I didn't notice they regulated the volume of the shows.
By the time of governmental intervention, many bands didn't approach the upper limits to begin with. I was once at a concert at the State Fair Music Hall in Dallas (1969 or 1970), where the plaster and other debris began falling from the ceiling at an early Chicago (Transit Authority) concert. Terry Kath's guitar was screaming that night, Peter Cetera's bass was absolutely booming and the horns were amped up pretty loud. While they weren't really known as a "loud" band, this was a relatively small arena, 3500 seats. I had just seen the original Allman Brothers there about two weeks before (same tour that their Fillmore album was recorded on) and my ears were still ringing from that one. Soon afterward, they remodeled the hall.
Terry - Sounds like your wife is making positive progress. Thoughts and prayers continue. While it is a smart idea to plan as you are, as I posted yesterday, many people live relatively normal lives with both dialysis and diabetes. They do have to take care to follow the correct regimens and not miss any prescribed procedures or medications.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie:
By the time of governmental intervention, many bands didn't approach the upper limits to begin with. I was once at a concert at the State Fair Music Hall in Dallas (1969 or 1970), where the plaster and other debris began falling from the ceiling at an early Chicago (Transit Authority) concert. Terry Kath's guitar was screaming that night, Peter Cetera's bass was absolutely booming and the horns were amped up pretty loud. While they weren't really known as a "loud" band, this was a relatively small arena, 3500 seats. I had just seen the original Allman Brothers there about two weeks before (same tour that their Fillmore album was recorded on) and my ears were still ringing from that one. Soon afterward, they remodeled the hall.

I never saw Chicago live, but I was a big fan of their music. The Allman Brothers were another of my favorites. That "Live at Fillmore East" 1970 album was and still is one of my favorites. I listen to In Memory of Elizabeth Reed and Whipping Post often. So sad that Berry Oakley and Duane Allman died so young.

Good Morning Everyone....the over night finally ended this morning. Record rainfalls and bad storms in Central Wisconsin yesterday afternoon.

MikeInHubCity: Did your part of Wisconsin escape the storms?

Speaking of bands in the 1960's...I saw CTA (Chicago) live and Blood, Sweat and Tears in concert. At the Blood, Sweat and tTears concert, being maybe 1968, approximately half of the audience was openly smoking marijuana, including my date. I didn't smoke pot, but I lit a Marlboro cigarette and a police office told me to out it out. Blood played for 90 minutes and then came back out and repeated the first 90 minutes. Tickets I think were under $10.00.

Off to the cabin and i hope there isn't any damage form yesterday's storms.

Short and to the point.

Greg

################################

Good morning. A cup of black coffe please with a sweet roll. 41 degrees to start off the day with an expected high in the mid 70's.

Terry - Hoping the best for your wife. Like Willie mentioned, people can live a fairly normal life with both dialysis and diabetes. We have a friend who seems to have a relatively similar situation and has been getting along fine for years.

Willie and Greg - Thanks for the comments on the photo.

Toot - I did have fun working with the fiber optics. No need for much of that today with what manufacturers are now putting on the marker. What I did was really old school. Not much use of LED's 25 years ago. Fiber optic material comes in different diameters. To make a "lens" all I did was to get the tip of a hot soldering iron close the the end and the heat will create a nice lens. It only took a few tries to figure out what was needed. A lens is needed at both ends of the fiber optics. One to pick up the light to carry it through to the lens on the other end. I used 1.5 volt grain of rice bulbs. I made my own diode bridges to drop the voltage for the 1.5 volt bulbs. I also used a short piece of brass tubing inside the shell super glued to the inside of the light housing. This keeps the bulb from lighting the inside of the shell. Here is another example of fiber optics.

20180829_063213.jpg

I needed a smaller diameter fiber optic material to fit through the smaller holes in the dual headlight. The upper lens has a "mars light bulb" that doesn't come on until the unit has a bit over 3 volts to get it operating, which it works out to be the same voltage that is needed to get it moving. This was high tech stuff 25 years ago. Today, it comes right out of the box.

Greg - Have a good stay at the cabin. Hope nothing has floated away.

Here's a rail picture for today.

tracks and sunset_osage city_023.jpg

Later

Good morning everybody ...

F-Units are the best! Did the Burlington have any ALCO F-Units?

Sherrel ..... Burlington owned none of them. The only Alco's owned by CB&Q were some switchers acquired during WWII. After WWII, CB&Q bought 100% EMD until the mid-1960's when they purchased some GE U-boats in addition to EMD units.

Chet .... Your F-unit looks fantastic.

We might be considered "old farts" now, but we were pretty cool at one time.

I always thought this song would be great for a metal bad to remake. To be honest, it would be hard to surpass the original.

I always thought this song would be great for a metal bad to remake. To be honest, it would be hard to surpass the original.

Maybe Disturbed? After all, they did a great remake of Genesis's "Land of confusion" and Simon & Garfunkel's "Sound of Silence"

Early afternoon fellers. My score I received in the mail yesterday. I have been well short on the paint lately. Purchased this mostly because of my fuel service facility. It's a cast metal woodland scenics kit. Figure I need to get ready to put it together and find a home for it on the layout. As for my sidewalks well I painted them with what rattle cans I have available in a close color.
Terry I do hope your wife improves.
IMG_20180829_095048222.jpg

Maybe Disturbed? After all, they did a great remake of Genesis's "Land of confusion" and Simon & Garfunkel's "Sound of Silence"

You are correct sir!

Land of Confussion has to be one of the all-time best cover songs. That's pretty much already established with the Sound of Silence, but not one of my favorites.

I agree Karl, Disturbed could pull it off!

Louis -

I purposely didn't plant trees in a 60' x 220' area in the front yard so my kids and now grandkids could use it as various ball fields. It's the easiest part to mow.

I nominate you for "Pop of the Year"!

Now if we can only get the kids to go outside!

Good evening.
I'm currently home, after a fast trip to the hospital, where my wife is now in ICU. She didn't recover from anesthesia, and is currently on a vent. The hospital will try removing the vent tomorrow.

Good evening.
I'm currently home, after a fast trip to the hospital, where my wife is now in ICU. She didn't recover from anesthesia, and is currently on a vent. The hospital will try removing the vent tomorrow.

Double prayers tonight!

Back