Running Bear's Cofee Shop LI

Might be right Terry. I think one is a double-malt and the other a single.

About time to start LII isn't it?
E

Forgot David! Thanks. He likes to run them when he's up. More interested in his bike, we ride together when he visits.

Terry in NW Wisconsin

Say Terry in Wis., No problem, glad he like trains too, it a neat hobby but so are bikes and guns.
Do both of you do some shooting at times? I'm able to on my place, have in years past but slacked off when things became scarce and then money wasn't there either. Powder and primers seem to have become available at times but they go quick too!

Do you mean Glenlivet?
I have a bottle that will probably last me the rest of the year. I seem to have developed an intolerance for alcohol, and get a severe headache if I consume more than a shot every few days. AND I have to sip said shot slowly. Looking at the bright side, I can assure everyone I will never get a DUI...

Aye laddie, THATS the very one! Smo-o-ooooth It t'is!

I'm getting the same way tolerance wise. S'pose it's just as well, eh?

Well now it's afer 2000 hours and no delivery as has been promised all week.
Now I'm fairly PO'ed. I hope the usual mail delivery guy doesn't come by. He's a decent feller and I really have no craw with him.
Someone scanned my item early this morning claiming it was delivered. That's the MF'er that needs an ass chewing and I'll be happy to be first in line. I would say "you're fired!" but many of us know that union gummint employees are practically exempt from that.
Most likely tomorrow morning after I'm good and awake I'll be having some vociferous words with the local post-master. Of course I'll have to sit around a while before they even get into work to answer a phone call.

In the mean time, I'm re-heating some taco meat and just going to eat left-overs and rack-out.
Being single, I make plenty of extra stuff that I can freeze right away just for occasions like this when I don't feel like cooking.
This has put me in a foul mood and I don't like that. I hope the neighbors/leaches stay away tonight. They dam sure won't like it when I answer the door - if I do. Which I probably won't.

See you'ns tomorrow.
E.

Had to tear myself away from that Athern Big Boy! 4-8-8-4+WOW! Should I, should I, DARE I ??? Is it WORTH 600+ dollars, performance wise? Anybody ever heard how they run? That is a bit much for one engine, half the autos I've owned cost far less. I don't know how I could justify it to ME let alone "SHE, who must be obeyed"! LOL

Had to tear myself away from that Athern Big Boy! 4-8-8-4+WOW! Should I, should I, DARE I ??? Is it WORTH 600+ dollars, performance wise? Anybody ever heard how they run? That is a bit much for one engine, half the autos I've owned cost far less. I don't know how I could justify it to ME let alone "SHE, who must be obeyed"! LOL

First, can your radii even handle it?
Next, yeah SWMBO and kids [if you have them]. Take care of them first and foremost. The trains will always be around. It took me nearly 40 years to get back into it. The last few locos I have bought all cost more than the last car I bought. Expect that.
I'd love to have a Big Boy but all my stuff is modern era. It wouldn't fit really. My latest purchase (pre-order) is an SD70MAe who the manufacturer claims can handle my 18" radii. That's all I have. Some claimed my SD40-2 wouldn't handle it but it does just fine.
If you get a chance to buy an engine off Terry, get it. The loco he sent me runs like water running down a glass plate - without a peep of sound.... unless you turn on the sound. It's awesome!!!!
E.

Well now it's afer 2000 hours and no delivery as has been promised all week.
Now I'm fairly PO'ed. I hope the usual mail delivery guy doesn't come by. He's a decent feller and I really have no craw with him.
Someone scanned my item early this morning claiming it was delivered. That's the MF'er that needs an ass chewing and I'll be happy to be first in line. I would say "you're fired!" but many of us know that union gummint employees are practically exempt from that.
Most likely tomorrow morning after I'm good and awake I'll be having some vociferous words with the local post-master. Of course I'll have to sit around a while before they even get into work to answer a phone call.

In the mean time, I'm re-heating some taco meat and just going to eat left-overs and rack-out.
Being single, I make plenty of extra stuff that I can freeze right away just for occasions like this when I don't feel like cooking.
This has put me in a foul mood and I don't like that. I hope the neighbors/leaches stay away tonight. They dam sure won't like it when I answer the door - if I do. Which I probably won't.

See you'ns tomorrow.
E.

Fight the good fight E, got me a love/hate thing with the union! All of em!

Oh, I'm with em for the most part but I caught a raw deal off one, atsa'way it goes.

G'Night All. BIG doins tomorrow, metal out to the road for the Shanty Man, get that dumpster ordered up and the last little bit up outa the basement. Going so far as to buy some primer. (and some sky blue!) LOL Reject zone of the paint department here I come, I heard they will sell the miss-mix for 3-4 bucks off what is on the shelf, I hope somebody was extra picky with the earth tones!

Do you have a layout? Do you have a DCC system?
It would probably be a better idea to get you started with something a tad smaller (and cheaper)...
I have a nice switch engine with DCC and sound for a lot less. It has the advantage of being able to take some pretty tight turns, and hasn't stalled on a turnout yet. Chet (Montanan) has one like it that he runs on straight DC, and he says it's great. So, it will run on either digital or the old-school transformer. After you decide on what and how big a layout you want to end up with, you can expand.
And $75 gives you less chance of getting walloped by SWMBO...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkoMY0f0thk

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have a layout? Do you have a DCC system?
It would probably be a better idea to get you started with something a tad smaller (and cheaper)...
I have a nice switch engine with DCC and sound for a lot less. It has the advantage of being able to take some pretty tight turns, and hasn't stalled on a turnout yet. Chet (Montanan) has one like it that he runs on straight DC, and he says it's great. So, it will run on either digital or the old-school transformer. After you decide on what and how big a layout you want to end up with, you can expand.
And $75 gives you less chance of getting walloped by SWMBO...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkoMY0f0thk

I am now just running a loop with a passing siding, two tables worth, temp type, 2 engines and 15 cars to keep the shakes at bay. I have much track(hundreds of feet) and am building big, DCC all the way. I will have a line it could run and the look is blazing sweet. I know, I got what I think is a good loco for $118 Sounds good runs...eh, a little jumpy off the mark but smooth enough going along, I could probably get it down a bit but I'm not into JMRI yet. It's just, dang $600+ YIKES!!! (it SAYS it can take 22" turns but I dunno) Gotta sleep on this one.

(it SAYS it can take 22" turns but I dunno) Gotta sleep on this one.

Better sleep long & hard. They might be able to handle 22 inch turns, but I can tell you from experience, they look silly on anything less than 36!

$600.00 bucks! :eek: You are into brass territory now! There is a lot of other good plastic steam out there with DCC and Sound for less than 600 bucks. Or go to train shows and look around at brass (yes brass) . I nabbed this brass loco for $275.00 with DCC & Sound a few months back. SWMBO was happy!

20150411_224116.jpg

So was my bank account!:cool:

Better sleep long & hard. They might be able to handle 22 inch turns, but I can tell you from experience, they look silly on anything less than 36!

$600.00 bucks! :eek: You are into brass territory now! There is a lot of other good plastic steam out there with DCC and Sound for less than 600 bucks. Or go to train shows and look around at brass (yes brass) . I nabbed this brass loco for $275.00 with DCC & Sound a few months back. SWMBO was happy!

View attachment 51228

So was my bank account!:cool:

I'm off the ledge back, back, ok. I don't know what I was thinking! I was wondering WHY it was so pricey. The Rivarossi one looks sweet and is 200 less than that Athern! Unless the thing can pull 200 cars alone, why $600, the detailing, cause its brass? Cause some dummy like me might actually PAY that much? That's probably why.
I must be patient, the show is in Nov. I got nothing for outlets around here, a few coupler washer packs and some couplers, maybe 10 boxcars and NO engines is all that was left at the so-called hobby shop. Imma have to go buy those 10, if any are left.

Shopping online and ALL is Bachman. I,m ok with the ones I have but there is more out there than Bachman and their customer service did NOT impress me. The Proto I got I had to LOOK for. Manufacturer sites are not always clear to novice types like me. I don't know the engine types by number yet. I know the nomenclature of almost ALL WW2 vehicles, weapons and aircraft of almost all the nations involved. Trains I'm just learning. I like the way SD-40's look. LOL How about the Kato?

On benches. I see many vids of people building their benches as if they were high-way 'spaggetii bowls', long sweeping curves of 8" wide plywood going all over the place! I'm not that confident. I am going 'old school' with a giant flat table for a base. The 'fishplate films' guy 'Lord Stan' on u tube. LOL He's got a pretty wild layout! And some good tips, I like his programing video. Somebody, Please talk me out of building a helix!

On benches. I see many vids of people building their benches as if they were high-way 'spaggetii bowls', long sweeping curves of 8" wide plywood going all over the place! I'm not that confident. I am going 'old school' with a giant flat table for a base. The 'fishplate films' guy 'Lord Stan' on u tube. LOL He's got a pretty wild layout! And some good tips, I like his programing video. Somebody, Please talk me out of building a helix!

Don't build a helix!! You don't "really" need it - especially right now.
Only reason I would even consider building one would be if I was to build a staging area under the table.
Since I already have a few miles of wiring - all active - no way I'm building anything under the table. It's already cramped up enough getting under there to work on wiring as it is. (and, I'm a little guy)
For now I have absolutely no problem simply picking cars and engines up and putting others back down on the track.

There! You've been talked out it.
Remember to jump on over to the new coffee shop. Terry just started a new one this morning.

As for those guys that model in brass - they are way out of your's and mine leagues. (more like the other way around). I might be brave enough to try things I've never done before in modelling but messing with brass is not one of them. My pockets are far too shallow to even think about that league. Compare it to being a bat-boy on the farm-team to being a starter in the "big show".
E.

E.

Back