Running Bear's April 2024 Coffee Shop

Good Afternoon, folks!

After travelling 2hrs one way to get to the Hinton Hospital, I'm back from the successful Hernia surgery.
The surgery when great. My vital signs proved very strong. I'm good to go for another 68 years of modelling.

My wife, supporter, and driver took a photo of me when she was waiting for me to wake-up after the surgery:
Hernia_04-17-2024.jpg

I'm gonna have a hernia more often. It was a fairly painless way to get nursed so well by the wife and a covey of beautiful young ladies. The entire process was enjoyable.

Now, I'm home again and healing up. Time to get modelling during this period that I can't lift heavy objects.

I'm a few pages behing in the forum, but, I'll check them out when I'm not so groggy. Have a great afternoon.

Good Afternoon, folks!

After travelling 2hrs one way to get to the Hinton Hospital, I'm back from the successful Hernia surgery.
The surgery when great. My vital signs proved very strong. I'm good to go for another 68 years of modelling.

My wife, supporter, and driver took a photo of me when she was waiting for me to wake-up after the surgery:
View attachment 186115
I'm gonna have a hernia more often. It was a fairly painless way to get nursed so well by the wife and a covey of beautiful young ladies. The entire process was enjoyable.

Now, I'm home again and healing up. Time to get modelling during this period that I can't lift heavy objects.

I'm a few pages behing in the forum, but, I'll check them out when I'm not so groggy. Have a great afternoon.
Glad to hear it went well, and soon you'll be back at it!!

Good Afternoon, folks!

View attachment 186115

Health care and wives can be pretty damn amazing. Listen to your doctor and your wife and all will be well. Plus, you are getting out of extra gardening projects!

There's a video of the Georgia CSX freight that ran into the end of another CSX freight at the time of the crash. The train was moving at track speed, and you hear the brakes being dumped and then the crash. I watched it last night on TV and can't seem to find it on YouTube. The signal system wasn't working? The engineer dumped the air, so he was awake.? I'm interested in finding out what happen since my first year of working on the railroad a passenger train ran into the back of the freight train I was working on at the time.
Swal
This info comes from another site I am a member of.
1713430640317.png

Well, howdy there internet peeps, and those with sore back from laying on tiles

It's Troy again.

Not much new here to report. Though I did sleep in til 6am.

Tinnitus report: Went to bed with it at a 4. Woke up with it at a 6. about what I'd expect.

I'm using the sound generator next to my side of the bed. Wife can hear it fine on her side. Me, not so much. But, I lay so my good ear is on the pillow, dampening sound. I tried the "Sleep Headband" with speakers again. It's not bad, but not great. For my hearing level I have to have the volume up, since the headphones lay against my ears - If I'm lucky and they don't move during my tossing and turning. I finally took it off around the 2am pee run.

Plan for today is to crank the white noise, and keep converting books into the new format. Not so much format, as rebuilding the master files and getting them backed up three places. And cleaning the formatting as I go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, howdy there internet peeps, and those with sore back from laying on tiles

It's Troy again.

Not much new here to report. Though I did sleep in til 6am.

Tinnitus report: Went to bed with it at a 4. Woke up with it at a 6. about what I'd expect.

I'm using the sound generator next to my side of the bed. Wife can hear it fine on her side. Me, not so much. But, I lay so my good ear is on the pillow, dampening sound. I tried the "Sleep Headband" with speakers again. It's not bad, but not great. For my hearing level I have to have the volume up, since the headphones lay against my ears - If I'm lucky and they don't move during my tossing and turning. I finally took it off around the 2am pee run.

Plan for today is to crank the white noise, and keep converting books into the new format. Not so much format, as rebuilding the master files and getting them backed up three places. And cleaning the formatting as I go.

And, I'll keep watch on social media for more reports about Don Snoreleoné's slumbering. I won't add much more here beyond the sleep reports. But, if you're looking for good coverage of the trial, I like Glenn Kirschner's channel on youtube. He's doing a nightly breakdown of the trial. He's a former Federal Prosecutor (even though this is a state trial), and has an authoritative delivery style. I usually fastforward through his intro due to his staccato delivery of it. After that, its a more friendly speaking tone.

Troy

I’m not able to offer any advice on your “tinnitus” but wish you the best on your search for help

As for the trial… it must be your journalistic background coming through. I understand folks interest but I try to stay as far from it as possible. You and my wife would enjoy meeting. Enjoy it if you can

TomO

Good afternoon all. Not quite time for Afternoon Tea, so I shall have a glass of apple juice please, Flo.
Winter seems to have come back. It was -2c last night and +3c now. With the icy showers it still feels like minus something.

Dawn is putting on a brave face, but times during the morning she has been struggling. Hopefully things turn for the better soon.

Going to the train room and potter about with scenery. Cannot do much train running in case Dawn needs me.

Back later.

Good morning to all those with some sort of ailment or not! That would be a hello to all!

Wisconsin weather is not nice again but at least there is no white stuff in the forecast. It’s 47f degrees now heading to maybe 50 and the rain should be starting up within the hour. Another good day to run some trains.

I have a group of modelers from Tennessee that will be chasing the CPKC steam train this May as it treks through Wisconsin stopping by to pick their weathered freight cars. May 5 and 6 will be fun days around here $$$! Usually one of them will give me a week’s notice every 90 days but this is a nice warning and will only be a 48 day period. Thankfully I only have a few left on the shelf to finish. Now I’ll be searching for a couple layouts to operate on while they are here. With all the operating layouts around the area that shouldn’t be too tough…

That’s it from me, it’s a no weathering and reduced internet day so have a great day

IMG_5278.jpeg

Last edited:
So I drove by our Walmart that is local to us today. It was $3.79, where it had been in the $3.6x on Monday. Luckily I found a Walmart about 12 miles away as we returned from my daughter's music lesson and it was $3.59 Monday. I stopped then as I knew it wouldn't be going down. I filled up my nephews truck today so checked out Walmart before driving to the tile store. The world's largest Costco is about 1/4 mile from the tile store (Floor & Decor) so I stopped at Costco for gas for his truck since I'd been driving all over the last few days. $100! I also got a pizza for our lunch but it was a 30+ minute wait for a whole pizza. The food court was busy. I finally made it back to the house with the tile and the pizza.

He returned to Wyoming this afternoon as he had a "young men" class (church thing) that he was teaching tonight. Something about fire. He'll be back tomorrow. We wanted to grout the bath floor today but there were two tiles that were loose -- he messed up laying them last night so he had to fixe them today and let teh mortar dry. We'll do it tomorrow and get the walls started. Using large 24x48 tiles on the wall.

Pic is from last night. Today he took the spacers off and it looks better. The whole room (both sides -- that mid wall with door is only a 2/3 high wall and does not go to the ceiling) has been water proofed with a couple coats of Semco polkt-urea based waterproof membrane. The far room will have tile up to 8' all around and a shower panel on that far wall where it says GlasRoc. There is a tub for saking behind that wall. The closer half of the room will be painted with a small 4-6" tile "base board" around it.

We used both clear and gray Semco -- whatever we had left over from other parts of the house. Which is why some you can see and others you can't.

View attachment 186114
Chad I see you didn't use any tile decoupler membrane
Swal

Attachments

• Tile_decoupler.JPG
    Tile_decoupler.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 13
Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 69° here. Due for another mid-80's scorcher again today before possible thundershowers this afternoon. Upper 60's tomorrow and upper 50's for the weekend. Spring!

I spent most of the day after the dew and fog went away, in the garden; getting caught up to where I need to be after the deluge last week. Yes, it's taken that long to dry out enough to plant stuff. So 40 Tomato plants and 5 Bell Pepper plants later, I'm set for what I planned this year. I had to get this done in the narrow window between semi-dry conditions and the possible rain this afternoon.
IMG_1584.JPG

Those planting platforms will be removed this morning hopefully. I've already been out this morning to pick the first three Broccoli plants.
IMG_1585.JPG

One will be enjoyed with supper tonight and the others will keep in the fridge for at least a month if needed. There's five more to go, some of which will be cut up and frozen.

Instead of our usual weekly grocery trek today, we're meeting in a Dallas restaurant with what remains of our "Big Chill" group of college friends that have been getting together a couple of times a year for 53 years now. This is actually our second get-together this year, the first being in January. What started in 1971 with 8 couples and a spinster is now 3 couples, 3 surviving spouses and one lady who's husband is bedridden most of the time, and probably won't be there. One couple has sadly both passed away. Another couple has moved away but will join by phone today.

All of the gardening activity segued into preparing Baby Back Ribs and homemade coleslaw for supper last night; so I didn't get out into the train shed at all yesterday. Here are a few shots from the archive to remind me that it's still out there.
IMG_0943.JPG

IMG_0946.JPG

IMG_0944.JPG

Troy - Sorry to keep reading about your troubles with the Tinnitus. Stop thinking about it; that might help. I know that that part is hard, but the damage is done and it will never go away.
I'll continue to count on your courtroom reports since I don't waste any time with the TV.
Karl - Yes, something to look forward to upon retirement, no more hump days. Of course there's no more three-day weekends, no more vacations, and no more office parties. Damn retirement! ;)
Sherrel - Enjoy the break for now. I hate it when I HAVE to be somewhere more than 1 or 2 times a week.
Tom O - Yes, I have a hard time understanding my rain gauge when the rain is sideways.
Grizzled - My gardening season starts early here, and then takes a break during mid-July to early-September. I remember Chet posting that his season near Bozeman ran from Memorial Day to Labor Day.
Mike - I hear you about the roof, I did ours 20 years ago at age 52 with a buddy. This last one just recently set me back about $9700 for 16 squares. At 72, I just couldn't fathom carrying all of those shingles up on the roof, much less all of the ladder trips.
Guy - Good luck with your recovery.
David - Prayers for Dawn and you.

Everyone have a great day.

Troy how did you get this tinnitus? I have some form of it playing Jimi Hendrix music back in the late 60's and walking by a running full throttle EMD diesels while I tried to get the steam heat generator going in my RR days. 5 commutation whistles in the cab was the code to start the steam generator.
Swal

Last edited:
Chad I see you didn't use any tile decoupler membrane
Swal

You're right. Probably an oversight. I'll ask the guy who helped me (who did it) about it though I know he and his partner haven't done it on another job I saw them do (several years ago) which has held up well. We're over a waterproofed layer of gypcrete. Hopefully we don't get adverse movement at all.

Tinnitus, probably caused by Young, Dumb, and Loud.

I really recommend this book:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C9LJLQFY Written by an audiologist, and PhD Neural Physiologist

i've had constant tinnitus since about 2010. A single tone. I got my hearing aids in 2012.

The tinnitus surges and recedes depending on my mental state, my environment, and other factors. I've narrowed the cause of the latest BIG surge down to recent stress issues. Tinnitus going from a 3 to an 8 in one week isn't likely a physical reason when I've not been around loud environments. I work hard to avoid them.

I'm not seeking to remove the tinnitus (that's not a realistic goal), Instead, I am trying to train my brain to get it back down to levels where I don't want to jam pencils into my ears to make it stop. Again, Stress. It can feed into a dangerous loop. Stress causes an increase in the levels, which causes more stress... which increases the levels...

Mornings are the worst time for it, since I've been sleeping in a quiet environment. My subconscious has relaxed and the stimulus of the nerves causing it have reawakened. I can train my brain to ignore it daily, but that takes a few hours. Ignoring it and masking it lowers the effective "volume". I do admit that my blogging about it here is a good way to diary it's levels, which gives me feedback on whether techniques are working.

I've got an audiologist visit for new hearing test for new aids next week. That should help. The current pair don't have the white noise functions, so the phone is generating such, and the bluetooth connection drains the batteries faster. I'm having to recharge before dinner. I used to be able to make it to 8 or 9 pm on one charge.

Talking about steam generators. A EMD engine's water tank holds enough water to create 5 hours of steam. The trip from Grand Central Station to Chatham NY was about 5 hours. 2 engines = 10 hours of steam heat. We have 2 engines with one of the steam generators not working.
The Brewster NY terminal had 2/1/2 inch hoses to fill the tanks in about 30 minutes. The Chatham yard had 1 garden hose. I had a 1 hour turn around to fill the tank at Chatham. It's 20 degrees out. An hour into the trip back to Grand Central had the 5 commutation whistles for steam keep sounding in the cab. I thought the passengers will have to freeze. It would be nice if the company Penn Central put a 2 1/2 inch water hose at Chatham.
Swal

so the phone is generating such, and the bluetooth connection drains the batteries faster. I'm having to recharge before dinner. I used to be able to make it to 8 or 9 pm on one charge.
Wow! Bluetooth or not, my disposable hearing aid batteries last about 100 hours. And the hearing aids themselves give me an audible message every 5 minutes for 35-40 minutes before they actually quit working. I have them turned on for approximately 14 hours a day, so once a week I need to put new batteries in. And that 100 hours is regardless of audio level, filtering or Bluetooth usage. But maybe I am not comparing apples to apples.

Flo, can I get a meat lovers omelet this morning, I'm feeling a bit carnivorous today! 🦖
Good Morning All!!
Prayers of strength, healing, positive vibes and patience for all in need. Myself included.
Glad to see Bill opened the door again.
Thanks to Bob's efforts, we're still here on all 12 cylinders!
Karl, the meat lover's omelet sounds great!
I'm having that also!
Lastly, please refrain from political mentions my friends.
This is the one bastion of safety from a krAzee world. :)

Back