Running Bear's April 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grizzled - Love the idea of 1/87 R/C vehicles. Thought about it, but, think my dexterity in modelling isn't as good as my hearing.
That was my thought also. That and trying to see what the hell I'm doing.

You will likely have a speeding recovery on that surgery. Mine was a decade back-after holding my guts in on a 50 mile backpack trip. That did indeed get old.

Chad I used Durawall cement board and Schluter Ditra for the new tile under the kitchen Cabinets and the whole new bathroom which I don't have a picture for. The already in place kitchen tile is just on Durawall cerement board and has been there for 25 years without any problems.
Swal

View attachment 186156

Looks really nice.

When we do the add on room (I call it a covered porch but its a framed room attached to the back of the house), which will have a concrete subfloor. we'll use that decoupler with the tile. It seems the gypsum based subfloor is less of a problem from what I read as most people seem to tile directly to it. We have normal 3/4" OSB subfloor, 1 inch of dense foam board, and an inch and a half of gypcrete and that is what is tiled. We only have tile in the Ofuro (Japanese style bathing room which is a wet room with shower and a tub for soaking). And the add-on room which is framed but not poured yet as its not vital to getting occupancy though it will get poured when we do the driveway. It lies outside the main house concfrete/foam wall structure.

Last edited:
Good morning!
FAMILY GUY_DOG.png

1713522704755.png

My Great-uncle, A. R. Tidler

Well, howdy there internet peeps, and those with floors.

It's Troy again. FLO: Just Coffee... lots to do today

Tomorrow is the big day. We head south 2+ hours to see the daughter, and assist in installing her new faux hardwood laminate plank flooring. She ordered it, and the subfloor (we'll see if that's installed yet or not). I've warned her that my knees aren't good enough to do the up and downs of installation. She and her live-in boyfriend are supposed to do the grunt work. I'm just there to stupidvise and to cut the angles, and the start/finish boards for each run.

Wife and I are hoping it's a one day install. Or, at least a 1-day needing the parents. I'm going to leave a jigsaw behind for them to use. That means I need to go get the saw from the hardware store. I thought about leaving my spare (cheap) circular saw behind. But daughter never had a shop class in High School. I see fingers on the floor if I leave that for her. Power jigsaw is probably a safer option. I'll leave an extra triangle/square and show her how to guide a cut with it.

On the tinnitus front, I did need the sleep headband last night. Woke at 1:30 with the ringing back up to a 7 volume. Put that on and got a few more hours in. Up at 5am.

I located a pair of bluetooth Earmuff headphones. I currently have Vince Geraldi and his trio playing via a Jazz channel, with pink noise underlying that. The idea is give the brain noise stimulation other than the tinnitus to focus on. I can hear it as I write this. Five minutes from now, I'll be back to ignoring the whine.

Gave the credit card number to our Cruise travel agent last night. Trip from Vancouver BC up to Seward Alaska in Aug is going to be paid for today. That just leaves airfare.

Need to make my list for the hardware store, shower, and head out soon. back at you later.

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 56°, it might only get to 66° later today and 58° tomorrow. Quite a change from the 85° of the last three days! The north wind is blowing about 15 mph, I had to close the north bedroom window last night. The rain initially forecast for yesterday never materialized, so I had to hand-water all of the veggie seed that I planted earlier in the week. Forecast still calls for a 95% chance of thunderstorms all day tomorrow, starting tonight around 0300.

Today's plans include making the weekly grocery trek which was delayed from yesterday. Looks like the vitamin shop and Dollar General are also on the itinerary. I'll most likely do some mowing this afternoon, just haven't decided which area needs it the most. Odds are that it will be the SW section where the septic tank and leach field are located. I just haven't developed a pattern for this season yet!

Our trek to Dallas for our lunch with our old college friends went rather well yesterday, except the trip home during the early afternoon Dallas area rush hour. Since it was between 3:00 and 4:00, there was still the meandering shoppers/travelers intermixed with the hardcore commuters. The commuters are easy to deal with, they make this trip daily and understand lane separation based on speed; and they also know where their exits are. The meanderers drive 65mph in the far left lane and then have to dart across four lanes when they see their exit less than a quarter mile away...if they see it that far away! Speed limit is 70 mph, but that only applies to the center right lane, the center left generally goes 75 and the far left is 80+; even at this stage of rush hour. Thankfully there are also two "pay as you go" express lanes that seemingly don't have a speed limit, they do at 75 mph, but that is generally ignored. Cops don't care, they just want you in and out of their jurisdiction as fast as possible. If you ever visit Texas, be aware that you can't survive if you're a timid driver.

Another day with no train shed time due to other activities. Hopefully I will make up for it if it truly rains tomorrow.
Here are a few more views to keep reminding me that it is still out there.
IMG_6815.JPG

IMG_6814.JPG

IMG_6813.JPG

IMG_6597.JPG

Swal - When we had our bathroom remodeled with a walk-in tiled shower a few years back, the tiler only used the tile decoupler membrane on the floor, but not on the floor to ceiling walls.
Louis - I prepare the Broccoli stems as well, although the thicker ones only get cooked.
Guy - I don't do Tramadol either, but just because I really don't need them. Advil or Tylenol usually takes care of me. Doing one or two Tramadol after surgery is not enough to form an addiction; it's when you don't stop!

Everybody have a fabulous Friday.

Good morning from a bright clear start to a Wisconsin day. Mother Nature seems to be trying to make fools of us as I guess she doesn’t watch trials or read about missiles flying! It’s 36f degrees feeling like 29 this Springtime morning. We might hit 50. The grass out the window in this bright sunshine really is a lush and dark green with 1 dandelion standing proud all by itself in the middle of the yard! Last Friday it was already in the 60’s heading to high 70’s at 7am.

Tweaked my back last weekend and while I could tell it was there it wasn’t too bad. Yesterday morning at a op session just standing there I about keeled over when the pain hit. It was brief and instant but an hour later the back was still tender. So instead of staying for lunch and the afternoon session, I headed home to my chair. After a quick 20 minute nap and 2 Ibuprofen I felt good enough to relax at my bench as I can sit or stand as I feel like there. I did more puttering than accomplishing any work but it felt good!

Today, is a weathering day as I start my push to finish my May deliveries as most of my May will be travel and golf. I still am about 3 weeks ahead of schedule but I still have models to finish for late May.

I spoke with my brother yesterday. He’s pushing gold because of the uncertainty in our world! He’s buying wafers as it’s easier to handle! I about died laughing but he’s serious and I did apologize about laughing which I started doing again later when I was telling Terry about the conversation. He is having packages sent to the kids so they have some, in case of! He and 4 neighbors are in a dispute about solar panels. His condo association will not allow any more panels on the property. He and the neighbors want more panels because recharging EV’s using the current power is not efficient. I agreed and didn’t laugh. Sometimes though…

Heading for the lowering of the ears

Enjoy your day

Good Afternoon, folks!

Thanks for all the well-wishes in regards to my hospital visit.
Depending how I move around, I'm still fairly sore from the surgery. They prescribed some Tramadol pain killers, but, I'm not going to touch them due to the addictive properties of the drug. There's no way anyone will ever find need to call me a crackhead.
Have a great day!
Guy: I suggest that you do use the pain killers when you sleep. Sleeping is the best way for the body to heal itself. If you are sleeping good, this is pretty much moot. When my 3pass happened, they were giving me Fentanyl, both IV and pills. Told them to turn it off. 1st night was toss and turn; wake up, grumble and hurt. Had them give me pills for the 2nd and 3rd night and I slept better. After that, Ibuprofen worked so I went with that for awhile. Here is my old guy in a gurney pix.
0626201605.jpg

Good Luck!

Good Morning!

Guy - I don't do Tramadol either, but just because I really don't need them. Advil or Tylenol usually takes care of me. Doing one or two Tramadol after surgery is not enough to form an addiction; it's when you don't stop!
Yeah! But, what if I'm really, really liking the high! - It's just not worth it to me. I had a tough enough time quitting alcohol and cigarettes. I sleep good. If a pain killer is ever required, I'll just take an Advil.
Everything is going along very well so far, and tomorrow I can even have a shower, according to the nurse. The dog will wait one more day before he gets another forest walk.

Todd - Thankyou for the well-meaning advice. I am not in much pain and I'm sleeping very well. Great looking photo! Funny how wives find it necessary to take a photo when your down.

I'm going to paint some gas station structure today, and then attend my rock hobby while the paint is drying. It's going to be a great day!

Here's some photos taken while I was enjoying another hobby - Walking the Tracks!
Box_GATX 157997_03-14-2024 (1).JPG

Box_GATX 157997_03-14-2024 (2).JPG

Box_GATX 157997_03-14-2024 (3).JPG

Have a great day, folks!

Good morning ALL!!!
God Bless Great Uncle A.J. Tidler!
Good morning Flo!!
I'll have the "Fireball Special" please. What? No, it's item #12 on the breakfast menu.
Two mini fireball shooters, Scrambled eggs, sausage gravy on top of crumpled biscuits, home fries and an extra biscuit on the side.
Coffee too please. Yes. The traditional 3 shots of Irish cream.

Good morning gang!

Overcast and 51° this morning, heading to a high of 62° and rain later. Tomorrow promises to be sunny and 65, but I have to work. :(

Guy, great to hear you are getting better!

Flo, 3 scrambled eggs please, hash browns and sausage and bacon on the side. Oh and please bring me a fresh bottle of Tabasco, the one here is empty.

Where's Sherril at??

BBL

Good morning all!

Another bright sunny Northern Illinois day. Supposed to get windy later.

Not much going on here. A load of laundry, and the Friday vacuuming has been completed.

Have another roofing contractor coming out this afternoon. Looks like its going to be October before we can get this done based on what people are telling me. They are still trying to play catch-up from last years hail storm that took out many roofs around the area. Unfortunately ours wasn't one of them.

Hope everyone enjoys their Friday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back