Running Bear's April 2024 Coffee Shop

Good morning everyone!

Very windy and cool Northern Illinois day. Doesn't appear that it going to be anywhere near as warm as it has been the last few days.

Just spent the morning with a couple of roofing contractors getting bids on a roof replacement. A few friends and I put the roof on 18 years ago. We stripped 2 layers off and re-roofed it. I think I did it for about $2500 in materials, dumpster rental, pizza, and beer. At 53 years old I don't have another roof in me. The estimate we got back then was around $9500. I'm sure the cost is way past that now.

Other than that, not much going on.

Patrick-Thanks for the coffee this morning, I will take another refill to go.

have a safe day all!

Gasoline prices are crazy. $3.99 now at most places though Walmart was $3.59 at one Walmart and upper $3.6x at another on Monday.

January was $2.26 Walmart and $2.42 everywhere else. And back then diesel was $1 or more higher tham gasoline. Around here diesel is below regular gas the last week or two after being about parity for a few weeks.

I do my own stunts, .......... of course, not intentionally.

Good morning, all! A cloudy, muggy day. Humidity at 90%. Forecaster are saying that this is the season farmers in South America and Mexico burn their fields. The stoke eventually drifts this way causing a gray sky. On the plus side it does tend to keep temps down.

Willie - Did I win a prize. Jaz told me I had better pick the prettiest one.

Unfortunately, no trains. I need to find a new building/structure to build. So another archive,
1713371467432.jpeg

Afternoon All,

Started out the day in the high 60's. Tomorrow thru Sat. is supposed to be in the 90's range. After animal chores I headed to the work bench and finished cleaning tower edges, removed all the "glass", and did some touch up on the window frames. I also soldered the overhead lamp for inside where I will have a scene.

Swal- Interesting photo.

Mike- That meme is so true.

Bill- Interesting photo.

Troy- I hope you get some relief soon.

Smudge- Interesting video. I had the utmost respect for the Queen. The current crop of royals not so much (IMO).

Todd- You have too much free time!

Hughie- Nice layout scene.

I hope you have a good night.

Tinnitus update: Getting better, but slowly.

I have to retrain the brain to ignore the fake sound my brain is sending me. I've got it down to about a 5/10 today. But it goes up at night as I sleep.

In other news, the game company I demo for just announced a NEW EDITION of their WWII flagship game: Bolt Action. It premiers late September.

Swal- Interesting photo.
Curt you mean the video that shows the freight before the crash? He's going track speed and just runs into the end of another train. What's going on with that?
When the freight I was working got rear ended it was because the engineer of the passenger train thought the single was malfunctioning because what other train would be on the main line at 5am. The job was a 16 hour day freight job that was running even later. There was an argument between the engineer and conductor whether we were going to stop at North White Plains for coffee. The conductor won the argument, and we stopped on the main. Because we were running so late, we didn't have time to put the caboose on the end of the train leaving the West 72st yard, So the engineer of the passing train didn't see any marker lights on the back of our train just a dark box car. I was a new fireman on the job. They told me not to mention the argument about stopping for coffee at the hearing.
Swal

Curt you mean the video that shows the freight before the crash? He's going track speed and just runs into the end of another train. What's going on with that?
When the freight I was working got rear ended it was because the engineer of the passenger train thought the single was malfunctioning because what other train would be on the main line at 5am. The job was a 16 hour day freight job that was running even later. There was an argument between the engineer and conductor whether we were going to stop at North White Plains for coffee. The conductor won the argument, and we stopped on the main. Because we were running so late, we didn't have time to put the caboose on the end of the train leaving the West 72st yard, So the engineer of the passing train didn't see any marker lights on the back of our train just a dark box car. I was a new fireman on the job. They told me not to mention the argument about stopping for coffee at the hearing.
Swal
I noticed what appeared to be a signal maintainers truck trackside before the crash, did that have something to do with it??

There's a video of the Georgia CSX freight that ran into the end of another CSX freight at the time of the crash. The train was moving at track speed, and you hear the brakes being dumped and then the crash. I watched it last night on TV and can't seem to find it on YouTube. The signal system wasn't working? The engineer dumped the air, so he was awake.? I'm interested in finding out what happen since my first year of working on the railroad a passenger train ran into the back of the freight train I was working on at the time.
Swal
George, as you know, anytime a train rear ends another on a main track, it's probably the fault of the crew on the second train. If the report is correct, and the second train was running at or near track speed at the time of impact, the crew either blew the governing signal, or went beyond the limits of their authority. PTS would only apply if they were in signaled territory, and running under a signal greater than Restricting....Should not have happened.

I noticed what appeared to be a signal maintainers truck trackside before the crash, did that have something to do with it??
That's interesting Karl because one day I was following another train, and the singles were not displaying the right aspect. The singles were green (clear) and the train ahead of me was not tripping the signals. When I approached Woodlawn interlocking there was a single truck there and they had the signal control box open. I stopped the train and told them you must have a few wires crossed because the singles are not showing a train in the block ahead of me,
Swal

Swal
During your time on Penn Central?

Yes, they are!

Many places in Maryland are charging $3.75/gallon. I paid $3.41 in Annapolis at an independent station.

I paid $3.05 and later in the week $3.16 in Delaware at another independent station.

I use on average five gallons/day.

So I drove by our Walmart that is local to us today. It was $3.79, where it had been in the $3.6x on Monday. Luckily I found a Walmart about 12 miles away as we returned from my daughter's music lesson and it was $3.59 Monday. I stopped then as I knew it wouldn't be going down. I filled up my nephews truck today so checked out Walmart before driving to the tile store. The world's largest Costco is about 1/4 mile from the tile store (Floor & Decor) so I stopped at Costco for gas for his truck since I'd been driving all over the last few days. $100! I also got a pizza for our lunch but it was a 30+ minute wait for a whole pizza. The food court was busy. I finally made it back to the house with the tile and the pizza.

He returned to Wyoming this afternoon as he had a "young men" class (church thing) that he was teaching tonight. Something about fire. He'll be back tomorrow. We wanted to grout the bath floor today but there were two tiles that were loose -- he messed up laying them last night so he had to fixe them today and let teh mortar dry. We'll do it tomorrow and get the walls started. Using large 24x48 tiles on the wall.

Pic is from last night. Today he took the spacers off and it looks better. The whole room (both sides -- that mid wall with door is only a 2/3 high wall and does not go to the ceiling) has been water proofed with a couple coats of Semco polkt-urea based waterproof membrane. The far room will have tile up to 8' all around and a shower panel on that far wall where it says GlasRoc. There is a tub for saking behind that wall. The closer half of the room will be painted with a small 4-6" tile "base board" around it.

We used both clear and gray Semco -- whatever we had left over from other parts of the house. Which is why some you can see and others you can't.

IMG_4872.jpeg

Back