Running Bear's April 2024 Coffee Shop

Willie I read the best plants for you are baby plants.
Baby plants, grown up plants, all plants. I believe that most all are beneficial especially when I grow them organically. I consume a wide variety of veggies and meats which so far in my life has proved to be good for my health. The human body has canine type teeth for carnivorous foods, molars for eating veggies, so we are omnivores. I think that the optimal diet includes a wide variety of both fruits, meats, and vegetables, both cooked and raw. I avoid as much as possible salt and processed sugar, but some is inevitable in certain processed foods. I also have never in my life eaten at a McDonalds, or many similar establishments, which I also believe has contributed to a more or less healthy life. I realized that in my late 40's and now it is a badge of honor! ;)

Baby plants, grown up plants, all plants. I believe that most all are beneficial especially when I grow them organically. I consume a wide variety of veggies and meats which so far in my life has proved to be good for my health. The human body has canine type teeth for carnivorous foods, molars for eating veggies, so we are omnivores. I think that the optimal diet includes a wide variety of both fruits, meats, and vegetables, both cooked and raw. I avoid as much as possible salt and processed sugar, but some is inevitable in certain processed foods. I also have never in my life eaten at a McDonalds, or many similar establishments, which I also believe has contributed to a more or less healthy life. I realized that in my late 40's and now it is a badge of honor! ;)
Willie if you watched the video, they say some plants lose their health benefits as they grow. Sulforaphane being the main compound they lose in example, Broccoli.
Swal

I'm not sure how this happened. They report that a CSX freight train ran into the back of another CSX freight. Someone's in trouble. The freight that did the ramming had to be on an approach signal or was running on train orders. In any case When you see an approach signal ahead you get your train down to 30mph preparing to stop at the next signal which may be red. There's either a train in the next block, broken rail etc. You have to be prepared to stop.
Swal

View attachment 186069

Impact is about the ten minute mark in the video.

Good morning!
FAMILY GUY_DOG.png

1713343285734.png

Walkerton, Indiana (Picture: John Sanderson)

Well, howdy there internet peeps and those living vicariously through a courtroom on the 15th floor somewhere in New York city.

It's Troy again...

and I was going to ask if Sleepy Don was going to nap in the courtroom again, but that trial is in recess on Wednesdays. Dang! have to wait until tomorrow for another Don Snoreleoné update. With OJ gone, this is a new trial of the century. It's fun to dissect it with my journalism hat on, and full newsroom snark filter unplugged. The things journalists joke about that never see print can be epic.

back to the Tinnitus: Getting it knocked down slowly. The book I posted ealier
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C9LJLQFY/
is very helpful. A lot of the treatment regimes have matured since I first acquired tinnitus about 15 years ago. Happy to catch up on the techniques.

Filling my environment with sound has been the first step. Quiet brings tinnitus to the forefront. So extra noise in the form of fans, music, etc is helping to not focus on the 4000 hz whine. Then adding white noise via the hearing aids - at a level just under the perceived volume of the tinnitus - helps as well.

Sound machine with ocean waves next to the bed is helping. Unfortunately I sleep with my good ear lodged in the pillow, so I'm relying on the bad ear to pick up those sounds.

I'm hoping to get to the point that I can concentrate enough to word some words next week. Unfortunately, with a hearing test late Tues afternoon, I expect the tinnitus to be ramped up again from the hearing test.

This might be me if I grow a beard and the ears give out...
hearing.jpg

Morning all,

50° and clear going for a high of 84°. Out this afternoon for a training session and the out tomorrow for a cyber conference. Getting more info that will keep me awake at night.
Then off for a week, followed by working 2 days and then off 3 as I will have to work May 4th for server updates.

Terry: Nice Video. Good to see some of my area in the opening of that video.

Flo: Let the girls know the drinks today are on me, even the "specials" only the regulars know about.

BBL

There's a video of the Georgia CSX freight that ran into the end of another CSX freight at the time of the crash. The train was moving at track speed, and you hear the brakes being dumped and then the crash. I watched it last night on TV and can't seem to find it on YouTube. The signal system wasn't working? The engineer dumped the air, so he was awake.? I'm interested in finding out what happen since my first year of working on the railroad a passenger train ran into the back of the freight train I was working on at the time.
Swal

Good morning gang!

Happy Hump Day!! 🐪🐫🐪🐫🐪🐫

Sunny with some clouds this morning, going to a most pleasant 67°. Never got to the basement last night, hopped on the tractor as soon as I got home last night and mowed til almost dark, but I got it done. By then, I watched TV with the wife while the cat and the little dog put on a wrestling exhibition on the living room floor. It's like watching enmascarados battle. Quite entertaining!

BBL

Good Morning All. Cloudy, quite foggy and 69° out there this morning. Should be 84° again today and tomorrow before cooling off to the low 60's on Friday through the weekend. Thunderstorms expected tomorrow afternoon and again on Saturday.
IMG_1582.JPG

IMG_1583.JPG

I can however see the train shed which sometimes is not visible from the house.

Mostly yesterday, I spent time in the garden preparing the area that I will plant the Tomatoes in today. I planted some Acorn Squash seeds that I saved from one that we ate last fall. It is my first time planting Squash seeds that were saved from something that I bought. I've planted Watermelons and Pumpkins before, but they take up too much space for things that we don't eat a lot of anyway. Nothing but garden today as I took care of all household tasks yesterday.

I did spend a little time out in the train shed yesterday, while on breaks from the garden tasks. I got tired of looking at that bright gondola just sitting on the RIP track waiting for some weathering.
IMG_1527.JPG

So I got out the weathering powders and had a go of it.
IMG_1578.JPG

IMG_1577.JPG

I don't tend to be a "rust bucket" modeler, just enough to give it a used and aged look. I don't aspire to do as well as those fellow modelers over in the weathering thread do, but just enough for that "3-foot rule".
Then I saw this. Oooops!
IMG_1576.JPG

Found it's location and got out the Gorilla Gel and fixed that.
IMG_1579.JPG
IMG_1580.JPG

I consider myself lucky to have found it when and where I did, otherwise it may have gone unnoticed forever! BTW, this is an Athearn/Roundhouse RTR car with all separately applied grabs out of the box. It first appeared on my layout in 2011, but I don't know when I actually bought it. I bought a whole bunch of rolling stock and structure kits between 2005 and 2015 to keep me occupied after I retired.

David - Best wishes and prayers for Dawn.
Patrick - A few years ago, the NWS tracked a tornado that eventually passed about 3 miles south of us. It went 23 miles without damaging anything but a couple of trees. Scared some cows though.
Curt - Good guess, but the one in the yellow blouse might have represented Jaz in her 20's. Hughie nailed it with the one in dark blue, a proper British lady dressed for a more formal occasion.

As Karl posted, Happy Hump Day everyone and be safe out there.

Good morning All!!!
Prayers of strength, healing, positive vibes and patience for all in need. Myself included.
Didn't know Walkerton, Indiana existed Bill. Thank you for showing us that.
Hey Bob!!!
Running on all 12 cylinders today. :)
I'm seeing Flo give me that quizzical look and I agree.
Not sure what I want, but will start off with world peace, two steam locomotives going full speed on the same track, a wild pony tied to a bronco post, going in circles on a short rope, two clowns in a 12 clown car and an "Everything" bagel, toasted with butter and cream cheese.
Oh, and a coffee too.
You know Flo, with your hands on your hips, you look like an hourglass. :)
What? Oh yes. Please reserve that knuckle sandwich for somebody else.
Where's Willie sitting, I'll just be over there......

Well, howdy there!
Finished up with the Radiation on MONDAY!
Was supposed to start Chemo again Tuesday, but the powers to be decided that my head needed more time to heal ... OK, a two week rest is ok with me - I am about worn to a frazzle - and becoming very tired of the whole shebang! I have had something going on everyday for almost the whole month and ai do not see the caboose anywhere in sight.

It is 51 going to 80 with a beautiful sunrise this morning.
Everyone have a glorious day and stay safe!

Good morning. It’s another morning where I feel I can just reach up and touch the clouds. But they are really moving across the sky quickly. 59f degrees now heading to just 61 but it will be windy and dry. All the weather excitement with the tornado watches and warnings was kind of overwhelming the wife so much yesterday evening she came down to my cave and sat of a couple hours. I checked at wake-up this morning, my manual rain catching gauge showed just over 3” of rain. The 2 weather stations on the property showed 3.23” and the other 1.81”. I’m not sure though how anything can measure the rains falling sideways. Our winds per the 2 stations had gusts in the 80mpg range but fairly steady all night in the 20’s per the graph. Oh, just looked up from my seat and noticed a tree I usually can see the tops of, I can’t see the tops of. Getting up and returned from the window. The tree is not missing, it’s bent over sideways but not laying on the ground. Last night from 5:45 to about 11 was nasty but the rain was definitely welcomed.

The crew of 4 start at 7 every morning and by now have a good idea what needs to be done. The 1st is any driving path like my driveway, the stable parking lot, driveways and my SIL’s vineyard roads. Next is the horse trail system. While Terry is no where near as active with the horses as she had been we still have an agreement that the stables can use our trail system for their horses. So those have to be clear. My 3 mile walking trail is always last. Any trees on the ground or dangling will get cut up either into slab for furniture or firewood. Nothing gets wasted and we have lots of kindling which surprising to me is a good seller!

Sometime this afternoon I will check in at the bench.

Enjoy your day

Morning folks

Hard to envision Willie's garden when there are several inches of new snow to greet the morning. Spent a little more time on the No 45 rehab yesterday between scanning a bunch of pen & ink drawings my late mother made. Ended up ordering some M1 screws from Amazon, not my first choice in vendors but sometimes necessary.

Dawn of the Green era.
53651360994_5e428e16ce_b.jpg

Back