Running Bear's April 2024 Coffee Shop

Good afternoon all. A sunny day. I said it is a sunny day!!!!!
A coffee on the go please, Flo

Dawn hasn't been well for more than a day or so, so playing nursemaid.

I received a new locomotive, A Kerr, Stuart 0.6.0 'Victory' Class. but it hasn't seen the train room yet. Maybe later in the week.

Back later

Morning all,

63° and rainy this morning with a high later of 80°. Some storms may be possible. I did drive through some heavy rain bands on my way in this morning and there was an apparent tornado this morning a few counties over, no word on damage yet, but it is a sparsely populated area.

BBL

It does us no good if the cookie packages are not sent to all members🤣
Yes indeed! Where are the cookies!!
deliveryService

Good morning from So. Central Wisconsin. The 7 day wake up streak of cloudless bright sunny skies is kaput! I can reach up and touch the clouds as they seem that low. 52f degrees now with the guessers saying 67 later. The morning rains predicted on the 10 day forecasts moved on yesterday’s guess to after noon time. This morning the guessers on TV and the WeatherChannel app are saying after 6pm but whenever they get here they should be severe.

During the 2nd intermission of the really good Detroit/Montreal NHL game last night I started pulling out my tree making supplies. During the Stanley Cup playoffs that start this weekend I make trees for my layout and some to sell. Last year I actually made more armatures than I needed so over the next couple days I will check the inventory. I make bushes, 5, 7 and 9” deciduous trees and a few pine trees. Because I don’t have a need for trees on my current shelf modules and I have no orders or requests for trees I may just make enough armatures to use up the wire I have.

With the rains holding off till evening Terry thinks we need a day trip. I told her fine pick a place and we will go. Well, where do you want to go? Smartly I did not say the weathering bench…

Decision made! We are going to the Wisconsin Dells. The outlet mall is there, a top notch candy store that makes superb Salt Water taffy and a dive bar that IMO makes a top 5 on my list of Wisconsin hamburgers. 57 minutes to drive there and it’s out of season so few if any tourists will be around. Plus the Water Park capital of the World will only have the indoor parks open so traffic will be way down

enjoy your day

Good Morning All. Overcast and 69°, looks like light scattered pockets of rain around the area. Warmer than typical for the next three days, upper 80's and mostly cloudy. Very high humidity is here and isn't going away until July. Meanwhile from Friday through Monday, we might not get above 70°??? Who really knows what we'll actually see! Rain activity yesterday was off and on sprinkling all day, rainfall accumulation was less than a tenth of an inch.

I did household tasks yesterday morning with occasional periods in the garden. Lots of laundry to do although my wife did a lot of her vacation stuff herself. I never separate lights from darks with no ill effects, but she was particular about some of yesterday's stuff. I ran the dishwasher last night, so I have that to look forward to this morning. After lunch, it was all gardening with short breaks to the train shed when the drizzle intervened.
As sad as it may sound, we filed an income tax extension yesterday. You would think that having a 20+ year tax preparer in the house that we could be on time! But something wasn't clicking right and then she went on vacation without resolving it. So here we are with our first extension in 54 years!
In the garden itself, I planted the Green Bean crop, a row or rather a patch 8" x 40'. I also planted Squash plants and seeds and a short row of Cilantro. I start with the tomato plants today, once it dries out sightly. I'm about 10 days behind this year, not helped at all by the monsoon last week which has so far just dried out on the surface only. However existing early season crops are looking good. The Broccoli is currently got heads about softball size and while I could pick some now, by the end of this week they will double in size.
IMG_1568.JPG

IMG_1570.JPG

IMG_1571.JPG

Leaves are a bit ragged from the recent high winds tossing them to and fro, and I may have a Cabbage Worm or two in there.
Onions are beginning to bulb out.
IMG_1572.JPG

IMG_1573.JPG

They will mature in about four more weeks towards the end of May.
I posted last week about picking most of the Lettuce plants that I started indoors and transplanted outside. I left one out there just because I couldn't fit all of them in the fridge.
IMG_1569.JPG

Meanwhile over along the east border, I see a few flowers on the Green Peas and that row is looking fine.
IMG_1574.JPG

IMG_1575.JPG

Out in the train shed during breaks, I finished up some female figures that have been awaiting finishing touches. One of these is supposed to represent Jaz. Go ahead and guess. And Jaz, if you see this, tell me which one best represents you!
IMG_1567.JPG

kg - Hope that your stuff makes it to Kansas today, unharmed. Especially that roll-top desk.
David - I always wanted to see Status Quo, but the only time that they were in my area was a Tuesday night and both my wife and I had to work the following day. This was in 1973.
Chris - In that video of the German Police removing protesters, it appears in some shots that there is an officer himself filming the action. Most likely a cover your ass maneuver in case of lawsuits.
Curt - I agree with you about the drivers and protestors. In the case of protestors gluing themselves to the highway, besides leaving them to bake in the sun on the concrete, why not clear one lane and then let a stream of 18-wheelers whiz by at 55 mph in the cleared lane. The "kid gloves" treatment shown in the Golden Gate Bridge incident would never fly here in Texas.
Louis - That motorcycle ride on to the stage by Rob Halford only lasted until he seriously injured himself when running into a drum platform obscured by a fog machine once.

Everyone have a great day.

Decision made! We are going to the Wisconsin Dells. The outlet mall is there, a top notch candy store that makes superb Salt Water taffy and a dive bar that IMO makes a top 5 on my list of Wisconsin hamburgers. 57 minutes to drive there and it’s out of season so few if any tourists will be around. Plus the Water Park capital of the World will only have the indoor parks open so traffic will be way down
Have fun, love the Dells.

Last year we headed up there for a 3 day weekend. The wife got some deal at the Kalahari. We ate at a place called Buffalo Phil's where they deliver food and drinks on a train.

So my PSA level was 13 the last time I visited my urologist, and he wanted a biopsy. I had about 20 large needles stuck in me today, and it was not fun. It lasted about 30 minutes. I chose not to take anything for pain so I could drive myself home. I started counting down from 1000 to take my mind off what was going on.
Swal

Afternoon All,

Started out the day with a walk at 62 F and clear. Today I cleaned the joint seams on the tower. In most cases they weren't as bad as I thought, although in some areas I had to gently use a file. After that I chauffeured MOH to ALDI. Saturday I'll be by the LHS and get new glue in case that was the issue I had. I'll give the build one more attempt.

Yummy, cookies! :)🍪

Bill- Nice photo.

Dave- My thoughts are with you and Dawn. I hope she feels better soon.

TomO- You are indeed a smart man!😉

Willie- Nice garden. My guess is the one with the yellow blouse.

Swal- Good luck with the prostate.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Have fun, love the Dells.

Last year we headed up there for a 3 day weekend. The wife got some deal at the Kalahari. We ate at a place called Buffalo Phil's where they deliver food and drinks on a train.
Terry asked me if “WE” needed to stop at Buffalo Phil’s today. No need…

Monks downtown was a must though
IMG_5396.jpeg

You still have a daughter at home so yes the Dells can still be exciting. They were for us too until the daughter turned 16 with her driver’s license. Before that we always spent time down there as a 3 day mid week treat. Since we moved to So Central Wisconsin in 2014 it had become a couple times a year day trip outside of tourist season. 1st time though since the 2020 Covid mess

The fudge in the Dells is as good or better than Mackinac Island’s homemade stuff

Good Morning All. Overcast and 69°, looks like light scattered pockets of rain around the area. Warmer than typical for the next three days, upper 80's and mostly cloudy. Very high humidity is here and isn't going away until July. Meanwhile from Friday through Monday, we might not get above 70°??? Who really knows what we'll actually see! Rain activity yesterday was off and on sprinkling all day, rainfall accumulation was less than a tenth of an inch.

I did household tasks yesterday morning with occasional periods in the garden. Lots of laundry to do although my wife did a lot of her vacation stuff herself. I never separate lights from darks with no ill effects, but she was particular about some of yesterday's stuff. I ran the dishwasher last night, so I have that to look forward to this morning. After lunch, it was all gardening with short breaks to the train shed when the drizzle intervened.
As sad as it may sound, we filed an income tax extension yesterday. You would think that having a 20+ year tax preparer in the house that we could be on time! But something wasn't clicking right and then she went on vacation without resolving it. So here we are with our first extension in 54 years!
In the garden itself, I planted the Green Bean crop, a row or rather a patch 8" x 40'. I also planted Squash plants and seeds and a short row of Cilantro. I start with the tomato plants today, once it dries out sightly. I'm about 10 days behind this year, not helped at all by the monsoon last week which has so far just dried out on the surface only. However existing early season crops are looking good. The Broccoli is currently got heads about softball size and while I could pick some now, by the end of this week they will double in size.
View attachment 186038
View attachment 186039
View attachment 186040
Leaves are a bit ragged from the recent high winds tossing them to and fro, and I may have a Cabbage Worm or two in there.
View attachment 186041
View attachment 186042
I posted last week about picking most of the Lettuce plants that I started indoors and transplanted outside. I left one out there just because I couldn't fit all of them in the fridge.
View attachment 186043
Meanwhile over along the east border, I see a few flowers on the Green Peas and that row is looking fine.
View attachment 186044
View attachment 186045

Out in the train shed during breaks, I finished up some female figures that have been awaiting finishing touches. One of these is supposed to represent Jaz. Go ahead and guess. And Jaz, if you see this, tell me which one best represents you!
View attachment 186046

kg - Hope that your stuff makes it to Kansas today, unharmed. Especially that roll-top desk.
David - I always wanted to see Status Quo, but the only time that they were in my area was a Tuesday night and both my wife and I had to work the following day. This was in 1973.
Chris - In that video of the German Police removing protesters, it appears in some shots that there is an officer himself filming the action. Most likely a cover your ass maneuver in case of lawsuits.
Curt - I agree with you about the drivers and protestors. In the case of protestors gluing themselves to the highway, besides leaving them to bake in the sun on the concrete, why not clear one lane and then let a stream of 18-wheelers whiz by at 55 mph in the cleared lane. The "kid gloves" treatment shown in the Golden Gate Bridge incident would never fly here in Texas.
Louis - That motorcycle ride on to the stage by Rob Halford only lasted until he seriously injured himself when running into a drum platform obscured by a fog machine once.

You can probably remove the "female" on the left, i'm sure Jaz is slimmer than that😁

I'm not sure how this happened. They report that a CSX freight train ran into the back of another CSX freight. Someone's in trouble. The freight that did the ramming had to be on an approach signal or was running on train orders. In any case When you see an approach signal ahead you get your train down to 30mph preparing to stop at the next signal which may be red. There's either a train in the next block, broken rail etc. You have to be prepared to stop.
Swal

Georgie_Train_Wreck.JPG

I'm not sure how this happened. They report that a CSX freight train ran into the back of another CSX freight. Someone's in trouble. The freight that did the ramming had to be on an approach signal or was running on train orders. In any case When you see an approach signal ahead you get your train down to 30mph preparing to stop at the next signal which may be red. There's either a train in the next block, broken rail etc. You have to be prepared to stop.
Swal

View attachment 186069
Any idea where was that?

View attachment 186038
View attachment 186039
View attachment 186040
View attachment 186041
View attachment 186042
View attachment 186043
View attachment 186044
View attachment 186045

View attachment 186046

View attachment 186038
View attachment 186039
View attachment 186040
View attachment 186041
View attachment 186042
View attachment 186043
View attachment 186044
View attachment 186045

View attachment 186046

Willie I read the best plants for you are baby plants.
Swal

SF_01.JPG

Last edited:

Back