Running Bear’s September 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sherrel - We're going to be on the outer toll road traveling against the rush hour flow at 5:45 am; there usually isn't any issues. Daughter with the umbrella is only a ten minute side trip from there.
Which procedure for Kate? Assume that the Bariatric is first.
That is correct -- I believe that the knee work will be two-three months distant - maybe after Christmas?
Kate said that she did not want to be cripple at Christmas time - I replied, " Hell, you are already cripple?"

That is correct -- I believe that the knee work will be two-three months distant - maybe after Christmas?
Kate said that she did not want to be cripple at Christmas time - I replied, " Hell, you are already cripple?"

And that's when you woke up 2 hours later......lol

Looking at you guys photos of your roundhouses, I have a turntable that I'm not sure where I can use it. It does work (or did when I tested it 7 years ago). The E-7 locos I have just fit. I may even have a roundhouse in one of the train boxes I still haven't unpacked. I should get some time on the layout tomorrow as I have the day off and may not be able to mow due to rain......sad isn't it????

Afternoon All,

My visit this morning with Jon and Phil didn't happen since Jon had to cancel. Based on that I did a bunch of chores that I was going to do tomorrow. I did forget to paint the weights I glued on to the flat car yesterday.

Louis- Great pictures.

Johnny- Nice looking barn.

Terry- That's funny.

Willie- Nice scenes.

Sherrel- That's like driving around Atlanta, it never seems to end.

Chet- Nice pictures. It sounds like winter is knocking on your door.

I hope everyone has a good night.

I don't know whether I should be honored or what? I just got my very first invitation to Ashley Madison. Not sure how it got through the spam filter? I think that I'll send them Beady's name and address.
:D

I guess I've missed a birthday or two, as well as some medical procedures. Sorry, gang. We got my mother settled into Assisted Living then, within 36 hours, 96 yo MIL did a face plant as she fell out of bed. She's now in rehab. The weird thing is, this is actually good news; for the first time in years, if anything happens with either mother, there's a whole team of professionals on site. BIL, who lives 4 miles from her and was on call 24/7, is now on vacation thru the weekend. We're going down to see her again tomorrow.

Umm, bariatric and knee replacement: My wife has had both. After hearing about the problems others have had, I'm almost embarrassed to say that Mrs Beady's nr was almost trouble-free. I guess that's the advantage of living in a city with a major university and two teaching hospitals. She had her bariatric when we were still in Vermont, but still at a teaching hospital with an attached medical school. The only real problem she had was in learning how much she could eat (the "full" feeling had gone away); she kept tring to eat the same sized portions, which caused her to throw up. Once she learned the proper portion size, the problem went away.

Last edited:
Willie- I really like the action in your scenes. Nothing too flashy, but you know it is an evolving scene.
Like the Wholesale Meats dock. Will you add another pickup truck with a deer in the back being brought in for processing?
Welcome to the Alabama Gulf coast.
Help keep Alabama green! $$$$$$$$
Enjoy yourself.

Good evening. It’s sort of clear, and 68.
I’ve discovered that, while the cost of new HO stuff has gone through the roof, the price of N scale has remained almost flat.
That's probably because of the higher amount of fine detail being built into HO these days e.g. Scale Trains and others, that is forcing other brands to match, e.g. Genesis, reworking their chassis' to add weight and the increasing amount of functions on the decoders, dual speakers and in some cases, even rear ditchlights. In those cases, that is an Athearn special order, extra 2 functions, that weren't offered before, not available as yet from Soundtraxx in their boards.
The N scale market doesn't appear to have caught up to that yet, but then, when I've compared prices between the two in the past, N has always seemed out of balance (high) with HO. Volumetrically, it is only a 1/4 the size.

I’ve discovered that, while the cost of new HO stuff has gone through the roof, the price of N scale has remained almost flat.
Terry, for you, that's good news.

I have been a bit preoccupied of late, and find it difficult to follow recent posts. meanwhile, time is passing by. On the bright side I just received notice, that we are getting a second Homestead Benefit this year, meaning my 4th Quarter property taxes due November 1, will be reduced by $321.83. :cool:. Of course the new assessments come out October 1, so maybe this is just to grease the skids :eek:.

Speaking of cooler weather, this morning's low was 47° and it didn't get out of the 60s today. Went to cut the lawn, and the mower wouldn't start.
No big deal, I have some time tomorrow to get it running again. Probably needs a new spark plug, the old one looked kinda carbonized. Forget when I bought it, but I have had this one the longest. Like to squeeze a few more years out of it.

Chet: Speaking of Polack Johnny's, nothing better than a Muffinski (better than an Egg McMuffin), on the boardwalk at Ocean City, MD to start the day. Not even Vinnie's Polka Dot Lunch Truck on Delancy St, in Newark could top that. BTW, nice "vintage" photos of the Logan valley!

Willie: Safe trip, watch out for the rains. As usual, I'm a fan of your towns.

Johnny: Great Barn!

Garry:
Glad you're feeling better!

Louis: What can I say, nothing is better than that photo of Polack Johnny's on the 'block". That just screams Baltimore, hon! The NYC, Art Deco Hudsons were cool also. Would have been nice to see one up close and personal. Good to hear you're feeling better also.

Beady: Sorry to hear about you're mom's fall. Best wishes.

Medford Meats 9-18-19.jpeg

Packing plant and powerhouse mounted on Gatorboard, awaiting final touches and cattle pen. This is the visible side that is adjacent to the siding.
When taken, it was still on the work bench. Cattle pen is something of a challenge. The instructions are lost, and the downloaded replacement is clipped...

Have a nice evenng.

Boris

Good evening Shop Dwellers, it's 64*F, clear and calm in my neighborhood 10 miles west of Baltimore. I figured I better check in since [I think?] it's been ~two weeks since my previous post.

This photo editing software I've been playing with is totally addictive. I typically start with a 35mm-shot photo of one of my larger structures and paint-out the background eyesores. The time-consuming part is editing the edges of the buildings that were previously obscured by things like brick chimneys and garage-door guide tracks - I need to fuzz them just a teensy bit to make them look as 'natural' as the other objects. I've found myself staying up way beyond my bedtime from being so hyper-focused on beautifying these images o_O.

I'm sure some of you will say "C'mon, Ken, post some of those photos!" I don't want to do that just yet because I'm trying to build a portfolio of layout scenes, similar to if I was preparing a layout article for one of the magazines. Once I've accumulated another dozen or so, then I'll start sharing them. [I've already searched thru my collection of existing cell-phone photos and none of them - nada one - is of a finished scene.]

Garry - glad to see you're recovering, hope you can get home by this weekend!

Curt - great to see you posting on here again.

Louis - been enjoying all the vintage prototype photos you've been sharing. Hope you feel better soon. I never made it to Polock Johnny's, but I do remember getting subs from Harley's while hanging out at the BSME...ahh those were The Days, when I was still young and blissfully ignorant!:)

Ray, of course those MRL tank cars have diamonds on them - they're every bit as visible as the Emperor's clothes.

Sherrell - hope Kate's bariatric surgery goes well, adding her to my prayer list!

Willie - those layout structures keep popping up like flowers in a garden, sure wish I could turn 'em out as fast as you do...

Chet - always enjoy seeing your layout pics! Mine all look like your "before" shots at the moment [lol]...

I know I missed a few of you, sorry about that - but hopefully I left at least one "like" for each of you going back to Tuesday. Hafta run now...

P.S. Joe, I just now saw your photo of the meat packing plant right after I posted - nice job!

Yes, they're half the size, but a quarter of the mass.
It would be interesting as an experiment, to actually stack similar model N scale alongside their HO counterparts, 'cause if we're comparing linear N dimensions i.e. L-H-W against the same in HO and N is approx 1/2, then it would take 4 N to be equivalent to the H-W end rectangle of HO and double that to match the length?? Anybody want to try?

Good Morning All. 73° and mostly cloudy. Getting ready to leave out at around 0500 CDT. Looks like I might hit showers from Dallas to Shreveport to start with. I don't know if they'll make it this far north before I leave. I'm about 60 miles north of Dallas.
I am composing most of this Thursday evening since the wife won't appreciate me getting on the forum (too much) in the morning!:mad: This morning it looks like the showers are mostly around Shreveport only.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments; Sherrel, Chet, Garry, Clint, Patrick, Jerome, Chad, Louis, Curt, Z, Ken, Joe, Justin.

Mikey - That's a possibility; I like your suggestions. Although it can't be seen in the particular picture that I posted, there are several beef carcasses hanging inside that open door. I'll try to post a better picture when I get back.
I enjoy visiting your wonderful state. We go to Gulf Shores every year in the fall, a bit earlier this year due to commitments that our companions from Tennessee have this year. I always include a visit to the railroad museum in Foley, a bit north of GS. They have a superb O scale layout that was bequeathed to them as well as some full scale equipment.
Sherrel - There you go again with a politically incorrect description, it should be "invalid", "disabled", or "handicapped"!
Beady - Best wishes for your MIL.
Joe - Nice work on the packing plant.

Everybody have a great day and an awesome weekend. Fall is late this year, starting Monday 9-23, so enjoy this last summer weekend. See you later.

Sherrel, Polock Johnny is an interesting story. He began selling shoe strings on the street corner. At one time he had Polock Johnny's franchises all over Baltimore. The family still operates an outlet and they are sold in some local stores. The popularity of Polish sausage suffered during the diet/fitness crazy beginning in the 80s and 90s.

On one level I agree with you about the political correctness, but the fact is deep down many of us are bigots and misogynists. Maybe if we come to terms with who we really are we can get past political correctness. Personally, I'm still trying, but from time to time those old engrained phrases still come out in anger.

Chet, I'm like you, I love many kinds sausages! Polock Johnny's was the best I had ever had, until I went to Hungary.

Eastern Europeans have made sausage making an art form. The quality and variety is unsurpassed. You were in the Balkans. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Garry, I'm glad I posted something you like. I hope and I keep praying you are feeling better with each passing day.

Terry, I find that to be very interesting, why do you think that is?

That's probably because of the higher amount of fine detail being built into HO these days e.g. Scale Trains and others, that is forcing other brands to match, e.g. Genesis, reworking their chassis' to add weight and the increasing amount of functions on the decoders, dual speakers and in some cases, even rear ditchlights. In those cases, that is an Athearn special order, extra 2 functions, that weren't offered before, not available as yet from Soundtraxx in their boards.
The N scale market doesn't appear to have caught up to that yet, but then, when I've compared prices between the two in the past, N has always seemed out of balance (high) with HO. Volumetrically, it is only a 1/4 the size.
King Toot, thank you, that makes perfect sense to me.

Boris, the block was an infamous place, but I missed the Block in it's prime. When I was old enough to satisfy my curiosity it was nothing but ugly girls and over priced drinks. I only went once, a midget mooned me, that was enough for me.

Ken, just the other day I was trying to remember Harley's! I think they had some kind of sauce that many people loved, but not me. Mayonnaise is the only sauce for my subs.

If you have a Shop Rite, Giant, Gereshbeck's, Weis and some other grocery stores near you, they use to sell Polock Johnny's. If not they have an outlet 7216 North Point Rd. Baltimore, MD 21219 next to Sparrows Point High School If you like polish sausage, you will love Polock Johnny's! That is if they have not changed the way they made them. I have not had one in a few years.

Beady, where do you come up with this stuff? :)

Good morning Everybody!

It's only 56, under clear skies in southeast Baltimore.

I think these cool nights will be the end of pool season in my back yard. I have not checked the water temperature this morning, but it was teetering between 79-80 the last few days. I did not use the pool due to the ignorant virus, but I was hoping to this weekend. Oh well, we had a lot of fun with it.

I worked yesterday, Amazon sent me to Canton, a revitalized section of Baltimore the young people love. I don't like delivering to Canton, the "porch pirates" love Canton. I only had 25 stops, but It took me a little over 2 hours. I call every customer to be sure they know they have a package. I do my best to keep that packages out of sight, like delivering to the back doors of row homes, that is time consuming, but I don't want the packages I deliver to be stolen. The good news was I finished my route less than 3 miles from my home.

I'll give those young home owners in Canton credit, their neighborhood looks nice. I finished after sundown and I got to see the many string light sets they have put up above the sidewalks, it looked nice. Got me thinking of Christmas! :)

Mark Hinsdale
With six Alco locomotives on the point, a Lake Superior & Ishpeming trainload of taconite has just crossed over Highway US 41/M-28 west of Marquette MI, in this view from June, 1985. The train is destined for the railroad's Presque Isle ore dock where it will be transloaded into a Great Lakes vessel to feed a steel mill somewhere to the south. This mine to ship ritual has gone on for well over a hundred years, and still continues today at Marquette. June, 1985 photo by Mark Hinsdale
1568973327453.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back