Running Bear’s September 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

While still stopped up a bit and sneezes and coughs, I'm feeling a ton better.

Bruette: I actually think I got this from the grand kids who had similar last week. Once school starts back up, everything hits the old people....

I actually wonder why I get sick more now than when I was younger. I never had chicken pocks when my siblings had them (I do test that I had them). I never had the mumps when my siblings had them, I rarely missed school until HS when I started getting migraines due mostly to what the refineries in the town we moved to were spewing at any given time. I have had a lot fewer once I moved out of town. Been exposed by blood tests to many things they now vaccinate against, but never had, but I seem to get every darn cold the kids can bring me....

Willie: I have a couple of those block switches I'm going to use. I think I'm going to make the outer loop 1 block and the inner loop another. Then block the crossings and storage areas. And on further thinking keeping both lines with insulated connects and the tying the common together would give me the same condition without tearing apart already set switches.

Last edited:
Good morning. It’s cloudy and 69.

Has anybody noticed recently sellers on Feebay and other places either “forgetting” to send your stuff, or “forgetting” to provide tracking info, and your stuff never arrives?

Good Morning All. 71° and clear outside, same as inside. Still predicting rain for the time that we leave Friday morning. Always fun. This Imelda thing may possibly affect the trip from Shreveport to Lafayette as well, although it may be over by then. Beginning to pack today, Medications are the hardest, 24 of this, sixteen of that, etc. Remembering which are which while away is also a bitch! At home, they are lined up on a shelf and I know to start the day taking one each when I get up from bottles 1-4, at lunch it's bottles 2-5, at bedtime it's bottles 2 & 3!:( Then there's the vitamins!
Just French Toast and OJ this morning Flo, I overate at supper last night.

Wow! Thanks for all of the likes and comments regarding yesterday's partial picture review of my as yet unnamed rural small town center; Sherrel, Joe, Clint, Patrick, Chad, Chet, Justin, Randy, Jerome, Z, Tom, Dave from PV. That was a fun project to design and scenic and I know that some of you guys were not on the forum at the time.

While I did get some more scenery done in the train shed, it wasn't enough to get a proper progress shot. So I will post a couple more from last spring's small rural town project.
First up is an overview of the small park.
03-23-19 001.JPG

Next is the back of Sud's Bucket, an eating and drinking establishment.
03-08-19 002.JPG

Louis - Get well soon.
Joe - Thank you very much for your kind comment. That is the first scene that can be seen upon entering the layout and even I enjoy gazing at it.
Patrick - Get well soon.
Chad - I agree that it sometimes isn't worth the time and trouble to proceed much further. Law of diminishing returns.
Chet - I still cannot believe that Sherrel didn't start the GoFundMe page. Shame on him.
Justin - Hope that you heal up soon.
Patrick - Even if you eventually go to DCC, you don't have to remove the selectors. Just set everything to the same power supply and hook the DCC to that selection.

All Right Now. Everybody have a great day. Isn't Karl getting married this week?

Good morning everyone. Just back from vacation. Haven't had time to read all the posts and look at all the photos that folks have posted over the last week and a half, but will try to do that this week.

We traveled through Arkansas and East Texas and visited family and friends in four different places. Fell in love with Hot Springs Village, Arkansas (where some relatives live already), and had a real estate agent show us some houses for sale. Actually offered on one, and entered the "offer-counteroffer" process but couldn't come to an agreement with the seller, so we dropped out. No rush anyway, and we'll go back next year or the year after and try again.

Patrick, Louis, Chad, Sherrel, Chet, Willie, Flip, Ken Otis, Chessie, CambriaArea, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes and comments on my last post two weeks ago.

Just before we left on vacation, MOH and I went to the Fall Train Show hosted by the local Model Railroad Club. It was the first time the show (held twice annually) was moved to a larger venue, our local fairgrounds building. It did attract quite a few more vendors, and there was room for a lot more portable layouts - but I was a little disappointed in the prices - they all seemed a bit high (except for a few things I scored).

I bought four freight cars at $4 each!! With Kadee couplers and metal wheels, all in good shape, all pre-weathered (i.e., used), and ready to roll. Not bad! They were all things I want for my layout anyway. I also bought three Matchbox trucks - as you know those are a little larger than 1:87 scale, but at ONE DOLLAR EACH I figured it was too good to pass up, so I bought three of them and put them in places on the layout where their size won't matter - so I have one parked in a gas station, one peeking out from behind a factory, and one coming out of a tunnel: a '47 Chevy pickup, a '55 Ford delivery truck, and a '56 Ford F100 pickup. I model mid-1950's, so they're the right vintage. By the way, I saw a pretty wide generational representation at the show - lots of older folks (like me) and quite a few children - great for the future of the hobby.

So here are a couple of photos from the train show. Me, a wide photo of the crowd, and my loot:

Fall2019TrainShow2.jpg

Fall2019TrainShow1.jpg

Fall2019TrainShow3.jpg

I also finished that Old Barn structure before we went on vacation, and it's in its new home on the layout now. I'll post photos of that later this week.

Have a good day everyone. Great to be back on the forum!!

Good morning. Starting off at 44 degrees and we could make it up to the mid 70's.

Ray -
I did put an offer in for that MRL tank car for $10. It was rejected. That's about all it's worth to me.

Justin - I can relate to the "shop dance". Working on cars that are 50 years old (or older) it can be quite a job to get rusted bolts removed just for instance. If you're interested in some dance moves, let me know. I can also probably help you enhance your vocabulary.

Louis
- Good photos again as usual. Hope you recover soon.

Terry - I don't purchase much on ebay, but I did get the tracking info from the seller on the F-7A. Had a bit of a problem changing my shipping address, but that was with ebay.

Johnny
- It sounds like you really enjoyed your Vacation. Good photos from the train show. What happened to the door on the P&LE box car? The only train show I attend is the one we have at the NP depot in Livingston. The prices are for the most part, a bit high as you mentioned. No real bargains. There is usually one the next day up in Helena, MT, with the same vendors that were in Livingston plus a few locals from the Helena area. All I bought last year was a new Northern Pacific coffee cup to replace the one that had gotten broken. I also model the mid 50's (1957) and have been collecting for years. I have found a few decent prices on Amazon from time to time.

Willie - Like your photos as usual. Really enjoy the variety of businesses you have. Really adds a lot of interest to the layout. You are right about Sherrel falling down on the job with the go fund me page. As hard as it is to find Northern Pacific power, I couldn't pass up the chance to get that F-7A.

Here is another pair of before and after photos.

thumbnail_IMAG0250-20141128-134545280.jpg

20171217_144350.jpg

May head down to the train room. Have to gather a few things up to bring to the club tomorrow. It will be the last Thursday ops session until next year.

Later

Good Morning Fellow Modelers!
We are getting a break in the temperatures ... 55* at the moment - expected to reach 82* - record was 102* in 2016.
I actually had to close the window around 2 AM with the ocean influence it was either close the window, or throw on another comforter. This is the second time of the year that we get the 40*+ swings in H/L temps.

I felt so lousy that I had to take a nap yesterday afternoon - I conked out for over 4 hours. Felt a little "groggy" when I arose - then - guess what ... Took a while to drift off to sleep last night! Short story - I feel good this morning!

JUSTIN: Sorry about the finger. I have found it almost impossible to do anything around a motorized vehicle without a scrape or cut ... usually more than one! Here's something to relate:
dad.jpg

CHET: Sorry I let you down on the Go Fund account. I was too busy trying to cover some HO Frisco models I picked up from a friend who is scaling back. Since I don't even have a display track at the moment - I have no idea why I keep buying stuff? I think I just like opening the packages?
Really wanted to visit you if we had made it to Yellowstone - we would have been there right now!
Maybe the Spousal Unit will have her knee done and in shape to wear her bikini in 6-7 months and we can make the trip before the "schools out" crowd.
Your before/after photos are something to see. More folks should do this for posterity?

Afternoon All,

Haven't accomplished much today other than adding some more weight to a resin flat car. Tomorrow I'm heading up to see Jon and Phil:).

Chet- Thank you. Nice layout shots.

Louis- Thank you. Nice GP shots.

Willie- Really nice scenes. Enjoy your vacation.

Sherrel- Who knows? It's just a generic pipe load. Really nice Frisco steamer.

Joe- I'm modifying a BB Erie flat car including metal hand grips/stirrups, paint, decaling, constructing a wood deck, and making cribbing for 2 Athearn tractors that have steel wheels. I was debating to turn it into a Pennsy FM flat but the side sills are too far off the real thing, so Erie it is.

Patrick- I have the same issues when I'm around kids these days.

Johnny- Nice to see a picture of you and nice haul.

Garry- I hope you are continuing to improve.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Hello, everybody ...

Thanks everybody for the well wishes. ..... My health issue is slowly improving, and I hope to be close to normal by the weekend.

I have out of town model railroaders coming to see my layout Sunday.

I hope all of you are well. Sorry I have not yet caught up on all of your posts.

Have a nice evening.

Last edited:
Those two MRL tank cars I referred to, came up in the ebay items I've looked at with the $AU price conversion. $380.17. Chet asked if they were made out of gold. For me, they must be cut from blue diamonds. :eek:

Good morning. It’s cloudy and 69.

Has anybody noticed recently sellers on Feebay and other places either “forgetting” to send your stuff, or “forgetting” to provide tracking info, and your stuff never arrives?
I had problems with the 'Ace from Trainz, via the global shipping program, couldn't determine where it was. At least it did arrive, and even earlier than usual.

Good morning Everybody!

Thank you for all the get well wishes, I fell much better today. I use this bout with the virus as motivation to get the flu shot.

I'm always glad to hear you guys like the photos, that's why I post them!

Patrick, how are you feeling now?

When I was a kid I got everything, but chicken pox was the only semi-major thing. I never got measles or other things we got vaccinated for, vaccinations really do work. I can't count how many ear infections I had or how many days and nights I spent on my Nanny's couch with a hot water bottle or how much Campbells' chicken noodle soup I ate. After I grew 6 inches one summer I seldom if ever got sick. The few times as an adult when I did get sick it was always something major.

This virus I'm getting over was ignorant, good ridance! I hope you feel better soon too.

Terry, I seldom if ever buy anything on eBay anymore, but I did buy the Lionel "Irene's Dinner" from Trainz through eBay. They marked it shipped the next day and it arrived yesterday, right on time.

From my prior experience with eBay, I use to buy too much stuff, It comes down to the individual seller. For the most part eBay was a reliable source for me. The few problems I did have were always backed up by eBay.

Sherrel, I can relate, I wonder why I keep buying stuff as well. I'm glad to hear you are feeling good!

Garry, thanks for keeping us posted, I'm so glad to hear you are doing better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back