Running Bear’s November 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, CURT, I have had to join the "Cleaning Brigade" as well - I have received my marching orders!

Say, DAVE, that tent have a spare bedroom? I went to the grocery store this morning ... Eeek!

JAZ ... occasionally I have a mental block following some things you say, today was not the case .. downright amusing! BTW - how are the injuries? Better I pray?

Christian - I like the boxcar you pictured - that is a "goodie"!
The cast is gone, I now have a boot/brace with an inflatable inner the other half says it looks like a power ranger boot, so I want two! The dr said the mri taken in the hospital 6 days before he not yet reached his department, he can still see a hair line, but I squeezed out of the cast by a hairs whisker and told if I am lucky in 2 to 3 weeks I might be down to one crutch and to be very careful of the knee which will still be an issue long after the ankle is healed, husband had a boot/brace and was out and a bout no crutch in no time, my knee is an issue,but I have been hobbling around on the crutches gingerly bearing weight,and only used the wheelchair when a home delivery arrived,so fingers crossed in the right direction, I have been told t let 2-3 months before the. Leg stops swelling then unswerving giving me a nice case of pins and needles, poor other half still stuck with all the outside chores and sone of inside,also Now having to move stuff for ne because with the wheelchair I had an easy carry system with the crutches I can barely manage to walk carrying anything is not a skill I have. mastered.
CA73075C-2BA0-4586-8C31-83EE4EB87B55.jpeg

I tried to change the couplers on my new Tyco car. It works but not as well as I would like. Could you help me to find a better solution ? The Kadee are a little bit long but at the moment I have nothing else.

View attachment 135306

View attachment 135307

View attachment 135308
Well your in luck, I have about 50 of these car that are modified, and don't ask. All have metal wheels, weight added, and either body mount or mounted on the truck. The SOS car is body mounted with a #5 kadee box and coupler. The hopper can't get a body mount so it is modified on the truck. A #5 and spring are used and a small spacer with a hole in the center that goes in the center of the #5 and the plastic piece that held the hook and horn goes into the center of that. Kadee makes the kits, some will use a # 212 tango adapter to hold the #5.
IMG_4525.jpg
IMG_4526.jpg
IMG_4527.jpg
IMG_4528.jpg
IMG_4529.jpg

Happy Friday evening, Shop Dwellers!

A quick shout-out to all who either clicked the button and/or commented on my Thursday post: Chad, Guy, Patrick, Rick, Karl, OB Ken, Christian, Tom-C51, Willie, Jaz, Sherrell, Mikey, Hughie, Curt

Ken- How dedicated are you to make the layout reflect prototypical practice? You have already said that you do not have utilities due to possible damage by operators.
People are gullible, lie to them about the underground utilities!
I
t is your railroad so you can control what goes on it.
Appreciate the suggestion Mikey, but I think I'd rather just do the removable pole approach. Poles add a lot of realism to photos.

IBKen - I'm not familiar with the City Classics kit, but I'll look it up for reference. There were some stations like these around where I grew up, and some that used to operate around where I live now. But that's the beauty of model railroading, there is no wrong way to do it! I like this style and my layout is my layout so I can put one on every street corner if I want. LOL!
. . .
Jesse, I posted a photo of the City Classics gas station on my layout in last month's Coffee Shop thread - here's the link to it: https://modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/running-bears-october-2021-coffee-shop.33905/page-46#post-513841

Well, today this appeared in my mailbox:
MER2021_Certificate.jpg

...that's for hosting the October 21 op session in conjunction with the MER 2021 mini-convention.

I made some more progress on the staging view-block this evening, got all the supporting Masonite sections installed:

StagingViewBlockMasoniteSupports.jpg

All that's left to do with it is paint the Evergreen corrugated sheet pieces in a bluish-green color (Teal) and place them over the Masonite, then this will look vaguely like a rolling mill...

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

Last edited:
Good evening .

it is good to see your interesting posts of recent days. I’m glad it looks like most of you had a good veteran’s day .

I am generally pleased with what my cardiologist said in my Wednesday appointment. However, my recovery remains prolonged . I sleep a lot, and still can’t contribute much here.

good night.

Good evening .

it is good to see your interesting posts of recent days. I’m glad it looks like most of you had a good veteran’s day .

I am generally pleased with what my cardiologist said in my Wednesday appointment. However, my recovery remains prolonged . I sleep a lot, and still can’t contribute much here.

good night.
We don’t care about your contribution as long as we know your recovery is in sight, however long the tunnel,you look in and say hi when you feel like it, pictures are/were always a bonus but the coffee shop just needs a person to come, get flo to give them their coffee and a metaphorical breakfast - she can offer a forbidden bacon sarnie, and people enjoy your company if you cannot ‘contribute’ new work, if you have the energy you can discuss old work,all is o f interest, even your treatment and health as many of us will in turn have similar issues, age is unavoidable, and if all you can manage is the occasional Hi, or just a look then that’s fine, you often see the group asking after the whereabouts and well-being of coffee shop visitors, the commeraderie here is what it is about.
You take it easy,go at your pace, and when you feel up to it,speak up, just a Hi will let us know your here - if you have the will and the energy.
The important thing is to put yourself first, we are just a mental crutch, if you need us. Take care, go safe.

these metal sheep have great shaggy coats paint black then grey and a little white
C355395A-D0C6-435B-A8F2-85D7D00E9B13.jpeg
6DA52B54-1AC4-4458-88F2-5A481EBE5A4A.jpeg
20A27DB2-044C-4CDA-9D76-F7C6AE85A248.jpeg
E11C5E86-1433-4029-8B3D-72B2BABAEB62.jpeg

do not paint sheep a clean brilliant white even freshly steered they are more a dirty white, and dirt under the belly, there are lots of breeds so lots of markings, black feet usually look good and a black face, and farmers in the uk usually spray paint for markings lasts a season,
7D4203E8-5F0C-4930-8047-1CD4A27A66EE.jpeg

a fine felt tip if you want dots is easier than a paint brush. I look at real photos of sheep when painting the real thing is always better than memory

Well your in luck, I have about 50 of these car that are modified, and don't ask. All have metal wheels, weight added, and either body mount or mounted on the truck. The SOS car is body mounted with a #5 kadee box and coupler. The hopper can't get a body mount so it is modified on the truck. A #5 and spring are used and a small spacer with a hole in the center that goes in the center of the #5 and the plastic piece that held the hook and horn goes into the center of that. Kadee makes the kits, some will use a # 212 tango adapter to hold the #5.
View attachment 135325View attachment 135326View attachment 135327View attachment 135328View attachment 135329
index.php

While reviewing the pictures I took of the layout on Thursday, I found someone else had added more wildlife near the outhouse.
These armadillos are listed on the menu of the ROADKILL CAFE as "opossum on the half shell", tasty with Ranch dressing.
I have also heard them described as the TEXAS state mascot?

Attachments

• 11.11.21 3.jpg
    11.11.21 3.jpg
    488.3 KB · Views: 57
Good Morning!
Wow! We are having a heatwave pass through with the temps holding at 33F. No snow here yet, but, I'm hearing there is 30cm on the ground in the less fortunate parts of the country. Some snow must have fallen across the border, as well. Probably in the Dakotas and Montana. That's Chet's neck-of-the-woods, isn't it.
Here's a photo of the log from yesterday:
BeaverCreek_11-12-2021 (3).JPG

I'm taking a whole series of log scene photos, everyday until the snow comes. Right now, I don't even have to wear gloves.

Not going to be on the computer a whole lot today. The layout room reno is coming along slowly, and I want to work on it while the wife is at work. Perhaps by days end, I can take a photo of the 'space' where trains will run.

For now, here's a couple of photos of trains comin at you. Both were taken while I was walking the dog on track adventures in different areas:
CN 3053_ET44AC_08-18-2021 (2).jpg

CN 5272_SD40-2W BluRdg_07-17-2021 (1).jpg

Bye the way, the dog has to be leashed, as she's afraid of trains and starts acting up. I use a belt clip for the leash, so I can be hands-free when taking the photos.

Thanks for the likes on these simple posts, and thanks for posting your own thoughts and experiences.
Have a great day.

Good Morning All. Clear and 34° with a frost on all exposed metal objects this morning. Still going up to the mid-60's today with mild weather for the next ten days at least.
Resumed mowing yesterday after a day off due to the rain Wednesday night. I generally have to mow until mid-December most years, but it's easier than removing snow! I am still shredding small branches and leaves from the oak branches that I removed a few weeks ago. I'll start pruning a few other trees later in the month. I have a few branches already earmarked.

Thanks to all for those likes and comments yesterday; Sherrel, Steve J, Guy, Christian, Hughie, Tom O, Karl, Tom, Rick, IB Ken, Patrick.

Bacon and a pair of sunny side up eggs with a buttered whole wheat English Muffin for me this morning Flo.

I made some progress out in the train shed yesterday on two projects. I completed painting 17 figures and dull coated them.
IMG_8251.JPG

The one in the lower left is actually a pre-painted Woodland Scenics figure that I just touched up a bit. All of the rest are Presier figures or the cheap Chinese ones that I received as a Christmas gift in 2019. Not all are intended for the current requirements; some were just close to finishing and I was using the right combination of colors to complete them. I should get a few more finished up in the next few days.
I also lightly weathered that P2K covered hopper that I assembled last week. I only used weathering powders and I need to use paint to complete the trucks. I generally only lightly weather my equipment and only include graffiti on about 10% of the freight cars.
IMG_8249.JPG

It doesn't seem like much, but slow progress is better than no progress.
So speaking of progress, we all know the difference between pro and con, so does it also carry over into progress and congress?

OB Ken -
wishing I had the skills to do what you guys do. I need time, money and materials to practice on.
We all had zero skills when we started. As far as time, the best thing that I did was to turn off the TV. Then I practiced on some really cheapo Tyco and Lifelike freight cars and structures.
Steve J -
If the coupler shank is lower than the gage, then do I need underset or overset?
Underset shank raises the coupler head up.
Jaz - What is it about telephone wire causing fires? I use some because I salvaged over 1000' from work. I currently use it for my control system, from the plug-in jacks back to the power supply; and I am also using some for my lighting busses.
Garry - Keep on plugging away at recovery. We're all behind your efforts.

Watch out all of you young or single men. Today is Sadie Hawkins Day. If you need to ask, then don't worry.
Have a great day and an awesome weekend. Stay safe and warm.

Morning all,

Spent a couple hours working on the transfer station yesterday. Still not finished.

Glass installed:

20211112_113707.jpg

Walls up:

20211112_113719.jpg

20211112_113743.jpg

20211112_113820.jpg

I'm actually getting better at gluing up, as there's erronious glue spots and the corners are tight. Windows have been installed, but no photos yet. Surprised how easily the load directly from the phone.

Couple more odd jobs around the house and then trains!!!

BBL

So speaking of progress, we all know the difference between pro and con, so does it also carry over into progress and congress?
Willie: Therein lies the problem...Congress is a congregation of folks that disagree on the definition of progress, therefore not much actually happens. That's the pro and con on the subject :rolleyes:
BTW: The Covered hopper looks nice weathered.

Well, The chickens err pups allowed me to make it until 5 am this morn (that 1.5 hrs back) before they insisted that it was time to wake me up! I felt them stirring ahead of that, but just lay there as still as I could to see how long it would take for them to say, "wake-up". After catching up on this day's posting and those from yesterday afternoon and evening - I am sleepy again? Not that you all are boring, or anything like that.

It hit the advertised 90F yesterday and the folks are clamoring for 91F today with Santa Anna winds and low humidity. Later on the Spousal Unit and I will go to the #1 G-son's band competition in Huntington Beach an hour or so away - better allow for two hours - never know how the traffic will be.

FLO - Time for some of Mel's hearty biscuits and gravy today with a Diet DP to drink, please?

JAZ - You beat me to the punch talking about GARRY. I was thinking along the same lines, only I would never have been able to say those things as eloquent as you put them.
I am pleased on the recovery for the both of you - keep up the good work and be careful!

I love your modeling although I do not comment much on it. When I was younger, I would always go to a large rotunda near my Aunt's and Uncle's home in Shreveport at the State Fair Grounds there which was maybe 1/2 mile from their house. I would spend hours looking at the very fine diorama's there. These were constructed during the 40's and 50's and were large displays - I guess that I am looking for a term to describe they as they were "slanted" so that it appeared like you are looking into the distance? All wonderfully executed and with materials nothing like we have today to work with! Your work and attention to detail reminds me of them. http://laexhibitmuseum.org

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back