Running Bear’s November 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Willie: I have a few pieces of sectional track in the layout. I have them on the ends of the layout at the bridges. It made where the bridges attach and get power easier and more stable for running the trains. I got some new 1/3 sections of straight in the last auction I got. I found them handy for this job. The bridges themselves have flex.
About 90% of my trackage is flex. The stuff I peeled off the full layout I got in 2012, was all soaked in warm soapy water and then scrubbed with a soft brush to get the glue and ballast off the track. After this long, it's long dry and still works fine.

Good Morning Everyone....Snowy here in Wisconsin with maybe five inches before it ends later today.

Waiting for the blood draw lady and I hope with the changes made in my meds the blood test will be positive for a change.

Today this afternoon the nurse visits, Then I plan on going down to the layout and do a little layout room cleaning. I want to test the truck power pick ups on a Proto 2K that I purchased as a basket case several years ago. The last time I worked on it for a brief time for some reason the motor didn't run so it could be a bad motor and I do have a spare. The loco is a good looking C&NW SW1200. I'll run a train while I work at the bench and listen to a new radio station that is called "Party 92" plays music you would hear at a party from the 60's to present.

Still undecided about going to TrainFest this weekend. The wife would have to push me in a transport chair and with the crowds that could be a hassle for her. I can't walk distances to far. If I don't go on Saturday, I'll go to Walthers instead.

Garry: Great photograph and the locomotives in a realistic city scene. Hurray and get over than cold sooner than later.

Still have to find the problem with my spell check. It changes the spelling of words after I have typed them and usually te spelling is incorrect. I should check the auto-correct feature on Foxfire and see if the problem isn't there somewhere.

I read my posts after I have typed them and find so many misspelled words.

Later.....

Greg

###########################

Good morning! presently 48 degrees going to 82 for a predicted high and sunny!
It got to 86 for a high yesterday.

Awaiting to hear from the daughter this morning. She has surgery set up for Friday - I have not been brought up to speed as to the extent of her injury and the damage?

Good morning

Johnny, WIllie, Greg, and anyone I missed ........ Thanks for commenting on my photo. ... Also, thanks to all who "liked" it.

Thanks everybody for the well wishes. "You may think it funny but it snot"

WIllie .... I did not take many pictures of trains in AZ this trip.

Have a nice day.

Good Afternoon All,

Today I cleaned the upper driveway and walkway to the front door. Of course after I put everything away I realized I missed a large section that I had rolled the trash cans onto, so round 2 tomorrow. Last night I ordered Pennsy wrecker decals from Mount Vernon Shops. Years ago I just put some generic Pennsy decals on it.

Greg- Nice looking SOO caboose.

Garry- Nice layout shot.

Sherman- That's always a pleasant surprise.

Milw113- Great pictures.

Johnny- I'll be watching. Kind of reminds me of small western towns.

Willie- Great details for the scene.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon. Weird weather. Yesterday we got up to 58 degrees with sunny skies and this morning we had freezing rain and 26. Still not above freezing. Tomorrow we should be in the upper 40's. Spent the morning making perogies again. My wife opened her pie hole and blabbed it all over that I had made some and she gave most of them away to friends. None going out of this batch. They're just too much of a pain to make.

I will have to agree with Willie. Bikinis probably aren't a good idea.

Greg - Love that caboose. Looks like it has been around for a while. Hope your vampire shows up.

Garry
- Like that photo. As far as flying goes. If I can drive instead of fly, I will. We have made a number of trips to the east coast. Even spent a week down in the Florida Keys when I got the '59 Impala completed. I not only hate to fly (commercially) but enjoy seeing the country. That trip we made to Hawaii cured me. Unfortunately, it we want to go there again, Flying might be a necessity.

- Like those WM photos. Don't be such a stranger.

Johnny
- That's a nice photo.

Willie - Outstanding is the only word that comes to mind when I look at that old barn. Well done.

Patrick
- If you got that track from sales, you'll have a lot to choose from. Stay with nickle silver.

Sherrel - Hope the surgery went well for your daughter.

Been busy and haven't been in the train room for a few days so here's another photo from the LV archives. Here's a southbound headed to West Yellowstone with a GC&W SD-9 at the point.

20180512_141102.jpg

Later

Haven't posted for a while as life has beaten me down a bit. On going medical problems of MOH as well as mine and now some new things cropping up for me. On going crap with SIL [ SON-IN-LA ] does not help and two visits from MURPHY in eight days was the topper. Really not in mood to be a NICE guy. Been peeking in and enjoying the pix's posted.
Still including y'all in my prayers. Nice to see new folks on the forum
Prayers and Blessings,
Phil

Good Afternoon Everyone....still overcast and some more light snow coming later.

Spend most of the early afternoon working on that Bachmann 70 Ton locomotive to reduce noise when it moves mainly in reverse. I did a number of items like soldered the leads to the circuit board which replaced the slip rubber fasteners (thinking that the rubber fastners were rubbing on the shell), checked the alignment of the motor, installed some insulation between the motor housing and the frame (motor was slightly crooked) and finally checked the lubrication of the gear towers. The noise is gone in forward, but still I have some in reverse. The noise increases when the chassis is in place. Sort of thinking that the cab maybe loose and is acting as a sounding board or problems may laid within the drive chain.

From what I read about other 70 ton owners and from what Montanan's experiences were with a Bachmann's 70 Ton GE Locomotives they all seem to be noisy.

I maybe dumb, but I ordered a replacement 70 ton locomotive from Model Train Stuff and if it also makes the same noise it will go back to Bachmann for repairs.

I sure like the looks of the little critters.

Chet: I like the color scheme of your GP-9 Gallatin locomotive.

Willie: Don't let anyone talk you in discarding your thong in place of a bikini! The barn scene looks great.

Flip: Hang in there and maybe some modeling will help you forgot your woes at least for a time.

That's about all there is for now....

Greg

####################################

1548 Actual Loco.jpg
This is the actual "real" life locomotive that the Athearn HO model was modeled after several years ago. The model is a mainstay of the CM&N and sees a lot of run time.-Greg

Last edited:
Howdy ....

Phil ..... Good to see, but sorry to hear things are challenging now. Praying for you. The Monty Python video is a good one.

Chet ...... (Watch out for weird guys in this forum posting their desire to see you in a bikini. Very strange.) .... I like your SD9..... Flying saves time, and thats why we do it. I still hate flying however. Our AZ trip was a total of 7 1/2 days in eluding travel. We had 6 1/2 days with our daughter and her husband in AZ during the trip. Time with the daughter was worth flying pains.

I think I said in past months one reason I dislike flying was a very bad experience. When I was a teenager a plane crashed very near our house at night. The explosion woke me up and lighted up my bedroom. It was awful. 78 people died. I avoid flying if I have time to drive.

I wish railroads still offered good passenger service. Amtrak does not provide good service except for East Coast locations.

Greg ..... I don't have a Bachmann GE 70T, but I have a GE 44T. Bachmann quality in that engine is not the best, but I had fun painting it. On the other hand, installing a decoder was no fun at all.

35542764203_587a46c73a_b.jpg

Patrick-Garry and all others Thanks. Beady you are one of a kind. What kind we still don't know. Thank you for your post and appreciated sense of humor. Thankfully everything still works as intended. Not quite as well but after 83 years that is reason enough for wear and tear.
Hope you all have a good nights sleep.
Prayers and Blessings,
Phil

I didnt get to stop in yesterday like I had hoped. Then again I didnt get to work on my layout either. However I recieved my camp houses in the mail today! Now to find a decent company store and that will complete my camp scene. Well atlesst most of it anyways. I have a three day weekend coming up. I finally get to take veterans day off. Something I haven't been able to do since I was on active duty. So hopefully I can get these built. This is a complicated kit. At least for me it is.
20191106_215555.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back