Running Bear’s November 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
montanan: At this time a lot of that track is excess inventory:(. In 2012 I bought a rather large layout at an estate sale and ended up stripping it for it's parts as it was just too large to move (I did try though). I had purchased 15 pieces of flex track just before and got a bunch more on the layout I bought. I have a bunch of various sized pieces ranging from 12" to 34" that were cut stored as well. Then I bought the 3-4 auctions and picked up even more Atlas code 100 pieces that I didn't really need but tried to use and will probably store. I also have about 5-6 pounds of Atlas code 100 Brass track along with some Tyco and Bachmann track. At some point I may be able to take more of the basement, but it isn't looking good for a while. My son has a ton of stuff stored (he's still living with us going back to school), as does his sister. They house they live in doesn't have the space for all her and her daughter's stuff and we don't really use the basement for much anyway.

Last edited:
Had a minor(?) setback a couple of days ago when the turntable crapped out, bad enough that I couldn't repair it. Shelled out an unplanned $225 for a new one. It just arrived, so I guess I'll be swapping them out later this afternoon. I'll be stripping the old one of any salvageable parts.

Meanwhile, we're waiting for a technician to come install a new CO2 alarm. I don't know what the big deal is; It just snaps into place on the old one's mounting. I've already done it myself when replacing the batteries. Oh well, it's a free service. We're also waiting on a home inspector to come and approve the installation of our new central ac. It's sort of like waiting for the cable guy.

There's a major annual train show this weekend at Michigan State. It's always held in the Agriculture Dept's Horse Pavilion, and it always smells like, err, "horses," if you get my drift. I need some more turnouts and should be able to find some there. Next year I might rent a table and sell off some of my excess train gear.

View attachment 41286
That wouldn't happen to have been a Walther's/Heljan N scale 130 foot turntable. I am looking for the pit casting for the N scale turntable to make into a shallow pit for an HO 70' foot turntable. Contact me if it is the object of my desire.....thx

I guess this is some kind of Safety poster.
FB_IMG_1572985723742.jpg

And, just 'cause:
FB_IMG_1572984672290.jpg

Afternoon All,

Did errands and chores first and then attached a front truck on Phil's loco that seems to work well. Tomorrow I need to do a 50/50 mix of chlorine and water on the top end of the driveway where it's starting to turn green again.

Beady- I haven't been on a airplane since 1995 when I retired from the Navy.

Mike- Not sure what a IDK box is, but all his electronics have been taken.

Willie- Nice looking buildings. One reason this episode is so frustrating is that it's just the last in a long string of stupid things he has done. He has almost zero self control and is seeing a MD for it.

Sherrel- I hope your daughter will be OK and there is no loss of ROM due to her elbow.

Johnny- Great videos. I saw a show years ago where the snow was packed down and the plow and loco derailed because of it.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Afternoon Everyone....sunny and 32 degrees with 2-4 inches of snow over night and tomorrow. Checked the oil in the snow blower and since it's relatively mild outside I changed the snow blower's engine oil. Better now than when its 10 degrees in the garage and a major snow storm brewing. I dislike the oil dip sticks and dip tubes on the Tecumseh Snow King engines. The dip stick is hard to read and the dip tube will come loose when unscrewing the dip stick cap. Glad that job is done! Maybe some year I'll clean and change oil on the snow blower in summer when the weather is warmer.

When for a needed hair cut this morning at a true men's "Classic Barber Shop". Good music in the background, plenty of men's magazines, true barbers and not hair stylists, a free open honor bar in the rear for a cocktail of your choice if you wish to have a drink or two and the decor of a turn of the century barber shop of the past. $17 for seniors for a regular hair cut.

Then I treated the Mrs. to lunch at a local burger joint.

No trains today, but my latest issues of Model Railroader and Trains arrived today. The MR looks like a good issue. I have to reimburse the family checking account some funds for some purchases I made for the CM&N railroad. The wife read an shipping confirmation email that came to her account about an order I placed and the equipment will arrive soon. She caught me!!!

That's all for now....

Greg

##########################

DSCN6100.JPG
This old weathered SOO caboose is ready for shoving platform duty.-Greg

Last edited:
Good morning everyone. 40 and sunny here. Couple of rain days coming up, but a nice weekend. Then Sunday and Monday lows in the teens and twenties. Chet - I'm telling you - I'm going to plug in all my box fans and blow that cold air back to Montana! :D

Looking good
Tom, IBKen, Garry, Lee, Wheeler, Sherrel, Patrick, CCoffran, Chessie, Willie, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes and comments on my north area photos yesterday.
Mike in Hub City - Yeah, that is a great video on men's and women's brains.
Terry - Prayers for your wife's knee surgery.

From the train room and the modeling workbench - Ran trains for a little while last night. Pretty much decided that the next area to work on updating is the south end of town - I'll post a photo tomorrow. Right now, here's a couple of photos of that Walther's ranch tract house - I'll put the roof on tonight, any last construction details, and add some people to the scene.

View attachment 41301View attachment 41299View attachment 41300

That's it for now. Have a good day everyone.

Just a note on that UV plastic repair. So far is holding well on attaching SMD's to the ends of Optic Fiber (0805 to 1.5mm in my case) and as a bonus, also seems to make excellent light lens on the external ends of the fiber. This is the product I used, gave it a bit more than 5 seconds, but that may be because it's been sitting in a drawer for a couple of years and the little batteries might be run down. The filler medium is sort of between liquid and gel in consistency and tacky, easy to form a droplet. The applicator is at the bottom, under a cover and small rubber cap.

1573004634215.png

Morning all,

Did 30 minutes last night starting the yard side, but nothing set yet. I have a 3-day weekend (the nice part about working for municipal government) for Veterans Day. This is the first job I actually get to use most federal holidays. We don't do the celebrate Columbus for showing up 500 years late day. Hopefully I'll spend some time laying out the rest of the yard. I always dummy up the track, layout and glue the cork and after the cork is set I set the rail. Right now the yard size will depend on how many left switches I have on hand. due to the way I laid it out, I don't think I can use and right hand switches going the opposite direction.

I gotta find the post on where X4014 will be as I discussed with the wife taking the grandson and my son to see it as it passes about 90 miles from here in Northern Kansas. I can do Abilene through to Salina without being gone all day depending on its route.

Good morning everyone. 47 and raining out there.

IBKen, Lee, Chessie, Chad, Tom, Patrick, Wheeler, CCoffran, Sherrel, Willie, Chet, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes and comments on my posts yesterday.
Lee - We Ozarkians gotta get Chet to close Montana's south door!!
Chet - Hope your bowling team takes it all!
Tom - Buy lots at the train show!
Garry - Nice layout photo - very realistic.

Regarding my post of the train plow videos yesterday - those of you who have been in the train business a long time or on this forum way longer than I have - I know you have seen lots of train snow plow videos over the years. But you know how you get to binge-watching YouTube videos- - that's what happened to me yesterday - got fascinated by watching trains plow through - or not - big drifts. Interesting stuff.

Well, I've identified my next layout section to work on - the area just south of town. It's partly done, but needs to be finished. Here's a "Before" photo. I'll post progress photos when I make any :D

Mostly the righthand side of the road, and some details on the left side. Looks like I need some vehicles in the depot parking lot, huh? Also, am waiting for a structure kit to arrive and will make it a bait and tackle shop. It will replace one of the buildings on the right side since this is just outside the lake area, which you can just barely see at the top left of the photo
SouthArea_Before_1.jpg

That's it for now. Time for more coffee! Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning Everyone. 60° and quite foggy, Weather Bureau is posting a 4 mile visibility, but I cannot see the passing cars (I can hear them) 250' from the porch. Misted all day yesterday but no rain. Weather geeks are also moving that 100% rain chance further and further back, from daybreak yesterday to daybreak tomorrow! There's some scattered rain about 200 miles west moving in this direction that could affect us about mid-afternoon today. That's our weather according to Willie.

Eggs over easy with Canadian Bacon this morning Francine.

Thanks once again for all of the likes and comments regarding yesterday's pictures from the archives; Patrick, Johnny, Justin, Sherrel, Chet, Clint, Jerome, Tom, Curt, Chad, Lee, Garry, Chad.

OK, got some modeling time in the train shed yesterday. I resumed the scenery on the north side of the barn.
11-06-19 007.JPG

11-06-19 009.JPG

And a parting shot of Callie the resident cat.
11-06-19 013.JPG

Am I done here? Maybe. I always end up going back and tweaking stuff after a while. I'll move over to the other side of the track now and do those backdrop structures. One hesitation is that I have not fully tested all of the spur tracks yet, so I am not ready to ballast them yet.

Johnny - Nice progress on the ranch house.
Patrick - While there isn't anything wrong with using sectional track, I use much more flex track to avoid having a lot of joints to deal with. In some cases it's a moot point anyway. Dang! I miss those three day weekends now that I am retired!
Sherrel - Good luck with the washer. Don't you just hate it when a simple one hour task ends up taking 3-4 hours? Continued prayers for your daughter.
Curt - I hope that your family can get your grandson under control before an "agency" steps in. My wife has a nephew about 50 years old who has spent almost all of his adult years incarcerated for stupid stuff. Nothing violent, just stupid and mostly involving parole/probation violations. Originally went in for vandalism and is currently in for check forgery and related stuff.
Garry - Get well soon. I meant Arizona pictures! :cool: Although that one yesterday was new to me and is quite a good one.
Ray - I was skeptical at first with the UV adhesive, but I have grown to like it and use it in place of CA a lot. It helped to get a little practice first.

Everybody have a great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back