Running Bear’s November 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Afternoon Everyone.....Mostly sunny here in this part of Wisconsin.

Worked in the room where my computer desk is located and decided to shed old documents. Fun job found my Father's discharge papers from 1944. Also found old photos of my layout when it was under construction. Fun looking back on what was the beginnings of the CM&N. I did find a hidden pack of Plastruct red brick sheets that I've been looking for a long time. Ended up with enough shredded paper documents to fill three large garbage bags.

Some of the photos show my open grid construction and some of the wiring that I installed before the scenery. I learned that I should of installed the wiring from the bottom up since much of the done because I installed it early in the construction progress it's hard to reach or see what I did 15 years ago since I installed it from the top looking down and now cookie cutter plywood and scenery hides some of the wiring. I miss the early construction stages of a layout when building it out of 1x4's and plywood.

Tomorrow afternoon I'll work on the layout after a long needed haircut in the morning. The layout room needs a minor cleaning job since some of the "Stuff" is laying on the carpeted floor since before I became ill and needs to put back into its place. There a box load of shipping boxes and packing material that needs to be put away. Several years ago I finally labeled the drawers of the work bench organizer where I store my small modeling tools. I started a practice of returning each tool to its proper storage bin when I'm done using the tool. I was so bad in mis-placing Exacto knifes I finally ordered some extra Exacto handles and now have four Exacto knifes and I know where they are kept.

Willie: I like the interiors of the buildings. Sure adds some realism to the structures. Red Owl brings back many memories of the old time grocery stores. I remember when our Village had only one medium sized A&P store an it was closed at night and on Sundays. Now with over 33,000 people living here there are a bunch of chain grocers. Gone are the small independents businesses. When I first started in the shopping center management business the malls were closed on Tuesday nights and all day on Sunday and had even limited evening hours.

On my layout I have a bunch of mainly kit bashed Walther's Background buildings in the Saxeville Interchange area that I would like to add some additional details to and a good dusting job. I will add more exterior lighting and signage where possible.

Better careful out there.....

Greg

################################

BNSF Engines.jpg
This photo was taken on the CN main line near Du Plainville, WI by I believe Forum member Areojet.-Greg

I feel that I am on a Merry-go-round here! Spousal Unit is in N.C. all week to watch the grandsons there while daughter goes to a three day conference off somewhere (husband is overseas deployed) -- just found out that the youngest daughter here locally had an over the top handlebar accident on some type of motorcycle in San Diego yesterday afternoon and was taken to ER with a screwed up shoulder, head abrasions, and a broken-in three places elbow. I do not have all the complete details at this time?
Better see if she needs help with the G-son here - then have to work in a trip to Newport this week. Seems that one of the G-son's there has picked me to do some kind of a school project?

Curt : Believe me - Just because it's there! :eek::p:D
As long as the school project isn’t along the lines of show-n-tell with you as the world’s oldest living dinosaur...

Good afternoon ....

We returned home from AZ. It was a great trip. However, I apparently caught a cold from other travelers. Too many people are packed into airplanes.

I have not had time to carefully read all of your comments yet, but I did "like" ones I saw with photos.

Terry ..... Best wishes and prayers for your wife who will be having knee surgery.

Chet .... I read your comment about taking pictures of Union Pacific trains while you were driving 80 MPH. I know they have a busy main line out there. On our trip we stayed in Las Grande, AZ which is on UP' former SP Sunset Route. It is a double track main line with trains running continuously.

Cheers.

Good afternoon ....

We returned home from AZ. It was a great trip. However, I apparently caught a cold from other travelers. Too many people are packed into airplanes.
I think our most recent flight was more than a decade ago. I swore then that I would never fly again. There's always someone spreading the plague, virtually all amenities have disappeared, virtually all legroom has disappeared, I've got better ways to spend my money than on being treated like a head of cattle, and when you arrive you're still not where you want to be.

I think our most recent flight was more than a decade ago. I swore then that I would never fly again. There's always someone spreading the plague, virtually all amenities have disappeared, virtually all legroom has disappeared, I've got better ways to spend my money than on being treated like a head of cattle, and when you arrive you're still not where you want to be.
The last short flight I took was like that. Sitting bolt upright and the guy in front of me reclines his seat back (not by much, couldn't have) sort of made the seat belt obsolescent.

Afternoon All,

Got all the stuff back on the pool deck, which let me set the dining room back to normal. During hurricane season we store stuff in the dining room. We still have until 11/30 to Florida's other season (not hurricane season) but we host the family for Thanksgiving so it needed cleared out.

I found out this morning that our youngest grandson (12) while riding the school bus opened the rear door twice while the bus was in motion:mad:. When asked why he did it he gave the typical kid response...I don't know. Now Daughter has to drop him off here on her way to work, we drive him to school and she picks him up after work. This is until the 19th. I swear he does stupid shit just to do stupid shit.

Tex- Nice layout bridge and scene.

Lee- That will be an interesting project.

Justin- It's going to look great when it's done.

Patrick- Great bridges and layout progress shots. I listen to 60's music in the layout room.

Terry- Looks awesome. N scale lets you do a lot in a smaller area.

Johnny- Nice scenes.

Willie- Nice looking buildings. I like the Red Owl best.

Sherrel- That reminds me of our cross country trip on the way to HI. We drove from Charleston to Long Beach to ship the truck. The morning of our flight (very early) we had to drive to the LA Airport (in rental car) and the traffic was as bad as I had ever seen up to that point. I couldn't believe it, and that was in 1981. Of course the rental company tried to screw us about bogus damage, but we beat them on it.

I hope everyone has a good night.
PRR- maybe gs needs to have his IDK box upgraded to a Nothing Box. Maybe that will get him into less trouble.

I feel that I am on a Merry-go-round here! Spousal Unit is in N.C. all week to watch the grandsons there while daughter goes to a three day conference off somewhere (husband is overseas deployed) -- just found out that the youngest daughter here locally had an over the top handlebar accident on some type of motorcycle in San Diego yesterday afternoon and was taken to ER with a screwed up shoulder, head abrasions, and a broken-in three places elbow. I do not have all the complete details at this time?
Better see if she needs help with the G-son here - then have to work in a trip to Newport this week. Seems that one of the G-son's there has picked me to do some kind of a school project?

Curt : Believe me - Just because it's there! :eek::p:D
Seems like when it rains it pours. (Life is not about avoiding the storm, but learning to dance in the rain. Annon/I don't know)

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 54°. There's a chance of rain in the forecast for the next three days, but there is nothing on the radar right now for over 500 miles in any direction. Temperatures will be moderate until Thursday night. That's the current forecast. Yesterday didn't turn out as planned, not necessarily in a bad way. Took my wife to a dental appointment and hit the post office, dollar store and hardware store while she was there. Then my neighbor asked me to drive him to his VA appointment at the clinic in Denton, (25 miles away), as he wasn't feeling well enough to drive himself. He's 77 years of age and his son who usually is available if needed was out of town. Neighbor is OK, just needed some vitamin shots to get going again. That wasn't why he was going in the first place, but they took care of him. Later my wife and I sat in the backyard with 1/2 bottle of wine and enjoyed the day. 75°, calm, sun setting behind us, no insects (unusual), and strangely, no overhead airplanes yesterday. Apparently they were using a different flight path yesterday. I am directly under a S-N departure pattern from DFW airport although they are generally high enough that they are not always heard. More distracting is the W-E landing path to Dallas Love Field which is much closer to earth. Then a trip back to Denton to enjoy a night out with another couple. All except the dental visit which I wasn't originally going on, were unscheduled events. It's tough being retired!

Blueberry waffles with a handful of bacon this morning Flo. And as usual, a tall glass of ice-cold OJ.

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday; Johnny, Jerome, Sherrel, Patrick, Justin, Clint, Lee, Curt, Garry, Greg, Ken, Tom.

Another day of no activity in the train shed yesterday, unfortunately. That might change with the impending but not yet visible rain.
So in lieu of any progress pictures, I went to the archive to get another example of the same kit used in two different settings. This is Walther's Vic's Barber Shop.
06-18-15 159.JPG

Here I am using it as a clock shop in another town. I recessed the doors for variety.
01-30-15 003.JPG

Patrick - Nice to see some more progress. For additional noise in the train shed, I listen to 60-80's classic rock on the IPod/speakers. Current playback only includes 11,000 songs.
Doesn't unused benchwork make for a wonderful place to store and work on stuff? ;)
Terry - Lotta foam there. Good to see your current progress. Nice view out the window. Good luck with the knee replacement for your wife. At fourteen weeks since my wife's surgery, she still has pain some days. Mostly right now it's disappointment that she isn't over it yet; but the doctor told us in advance that it could take up to a year in some folks for a complete recovery. She participates in a knee replacement discussion forum on the net, and there are some folks at the same time frame that are doing better and some doing worse. Some of that is subjective as well.
Mikey - Don't sell yourself short. Those pipe loads were quite well done. And an ingenious use of materials. Lumber and humidity don't mix well.
Beady - Sounds like a nice show coming up.
Curt - Not a good situation with the grandson. Very fortunate that no one went overboard as a result of his thoughtless actions. I am sure though that we all have some of those skeletons in our own closets.
Sherrel - Best wishes on your daughter's recovery.
Greg - Thanks for the comments on the interiors.
Garry - Glad that you made it back home safely. Now post some more pictures.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning everyone. 40 and sunny here. Couple of rain days coming up, but a nice weekend. Then Sunday and Monday lows in the teens and twenties. Chet - I'm telling you - I'm going to plug in all my box fans and blow that cold air back to Montana! :D

Tom, IBKen, Garry, Lee, Wheeler, Sherrel, Patrick, CCoffran, Chessie, Willie, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes and comments on my north area photos yesterday.
Mike in Hub City - Yeah, that is a great video on men's and women's brains.
Terry - Prayers for your wife's knee surgery.

From the train room and the modeling workbench - Ran trains for a little while last night. Pretty much decided that the next area to work on updating is the south end of town - I'll post a photo tomorrow. Right now, here's a couple of photos of that Walther's ranch tract house - I'll put the roof on tonight, any last construction details, and add some people to the scene.

RanchHouse1.jpgRanchHouse2.jpgRanchHouse3.jpg

That's it for now. Have a good day everyone.

Morning all,

Sunny and 35* in Doo-Dah with high of 58*.

Snuck a little train time in last night and got the passing\station siding track in place (about 30 minutes while I was doing some laundry). I still need to glue it. I had the ends setup for 22" radius curves, but the non-flex track didn't want to lay correctly, so it was all done in flex. While a pain to cut sometimes it sure is handy stuff. I think I may need to use flex on the curve into the yard if the 22" radius track doesn't lay the way I want it to.

Good afternoon. I'm back home from taking my wife to the orthopedic surgeon appointment. She has knee replacement surgery scheduled for December 27.

Let her know that even after the surgery and recovery, it will still hurt, just a lot less with better mobility. My initial replacement is nearly 11 years, the revision is nearly 10. Yes I didn't listen to what I was told to do and broke the upper appliance off the bone and managed to pop out the nylon spacer. Redo was 1 year after the initial surgery.

Hope the daughter is doing OK and recovers quick.

Starting the day at 46* and expecting the high to be 82* - WAS 86* yesterday with a few very high wispy clouds.

Have the washing machine partly disabled. A very poor design where the detergent receptacle "splashes" onto the lid and has been rusting through the paint. I managed to remove, clean, sand, and repaint the lid yesterday - then discovered that rust was behind the plastic frame around where the tray pulls in and out. I'm going to NOT have fun trying to clean that and find something to slap over it to try and control the rust. I have a product that I used on a roof leak on the RV; it's called "Through the Roof" - it's a bitch to get off anything it touches - trying to formulate a plan to NOT have it all over everything. It will cure before MOH returns next Sunday - I hope!

Well, that is about it from out here this morning, Got to get up the hill and see how the daughter is fairing this morning. I called her hubby yesterday - he said she was resting, in and out of pain. It's going to take a few days to get the necessary surgery set up for her arm.

Everyone - We're beginning to see some chatter on the forum about winter coming, dropping temperatures, expected snow falls, etc. Of course, trains have to keep running even through the snow. So I thought I'd find a couple of train snow plow videos on Youtube:

There are dozens of these kinds of videos out there, as I'm sure you all know. I never did get to see one of these snow plows in action for real, so I'm fascinated by the work they do in these videos.

Enjoy the videos. And enjoy winter, if you can ;)

Good,morning. 37 degrees with clear skies. We should get into the upper 40's or even the lower 50's today Johnny. Don't blame me for the cold temps. We get that from our friends north of our border. Just be thankful that we wear it out a but before sending it your way.

Justin
- Nice to see you back. You have the makin's of a nice town there.

Patrick
- Nice to see you making progress on your layout.

Terry - The layout is looking interesting. One question, are you getting tired of seeing little white beads all over the place ??? Also hope that things go well for your wife.

Willie - Again, extremely good looking buildings. Nice.

Mikey - Loved the video.

Johnny
- Nice photos. The scenery is coming along nicely. Keep the photos coming. It was nice to get back bowling. I was off for a few weeks for a pulled muscle in the right arm, not having anything to do with the shoulder replacement. Got back to it a couple of weeks ago and we're doing good. Last week we had to work out butts off having to make up 176 pins every game. The last game was a squeaker having us taking the game by 2 pins. We're in first place for the second quarter. Liked the snow plow videos. I have seen quite a few of them.

Clint - Thanks for the old video on NASCAR. Those were the days. The stock cars were stock. Living in Florida until 1977, I got to attend many races in the southern states. We were working ten hour days so having any extra day off each week was great. I was off Saturday, Sunday and Monday so it was easy to attend the races in person. I was quite the Richard Perry Fan. Also liked DW a lot back then.

Texas Hobo
- Nice photo. I have some old strip wood that is probably at least 30 years old and it is straight.

Lee
- Nice work on the crane and caboose tender. Waiting to see the finished product on the tracks.

Greg - Like that little switcher.

Patrick -
I see an awful lot of track in your photos. Looking forward to see what you do with it.

Garry
- Nice to see you made it back home. I am like Beady, I avoid flying commercial if at al possible. A trip to Hawaii a few years ago cured me of that. Just can't see being pack into the planes that have ever decreasing seat room. I will drive thank you very much. You might try some whiskey for your cold. May not elp the cold, but if you drink enough, you won't care. Grin.gif

Beady - I will agree with you on air travel. Seem to be going the way of rail passenger service. Back in the 60's and 70's, I traveled a lot by air. Decent leg room and real meals, not like the tiny bottle of water and stale peanuts they give out today. I really enjoyed our rail trips back in the 50's and 60's. The service was nothing but outstanding.

ff9bb4d41cc4181b4a79db20772ba8a9.jpg

Later

Good morning all. 68 and sunny. A bunch of guys I worked with for 25 years get together once a month for breakfast. Sorry wasn't here at the diner. Looks like grocery shopping is on today's to-do list, oh boy my favorite thing to do, NOT. Nothing happening on the railroad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back