Running Bear’s November 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. 39° and clear. Seems like daylight arrived early today. Looking at another really beautiful day today, although winds will be gusty this afternoon. That will help remove those leaves from the trees.
Full house omelet for me today Flo. Everything that you have. Add a handful of bacon and I'll be good.

Thanks for the likes and comments on the barn update yesterday; Sherrel, Justin, Rick, Jerome, Chad, Phil, Tom, Ken, Curt, Greg.

I just didn't feel like doing any scenery work or modeling work yesterday in the train shed. So instead, I took all of my "standby" engines off the storage tracks and ran them for a couple of laps each, both alone and with short trains to keep all of the lube flowing. None of these engines are "off-layout" for any mechanical reasons, they just got rotated off since I can only use so many at once. 48-50 is my max before I start choking things down.
So no progress pictures today. Instead I'll post some of some structures from the past that some might not have seen.
How about another look at Al's Victory Service in downtown Ft Wish.
04-02-15 016.JPG

Al's is a Walther's kit with additional details.
Next in an obscure part of the town of Vernon is the Cut and Curl Beauty Shop. Front view actually mostly facing the backdrop.
03-02-16 005.002.JPG

Aisle side view with boarded up outhouse out back.
03-01-16 001.JPG

This is a structure from a Grandt Line kit known as Reese Street Row Houses.

Sherrel - Tall weeds are dyed hair. Woodland Scenics packages it as "Field Grass" in four different colors. I grab a small amount of two or three colors and mix them together. Then I vary the ends and cut off a "tuft" and use Elmer's White Glue to affix it to the layout.
Greg - Strange how those coupler issues develop. Every freight car and engine that I own gets a thorough inspection when it goes on the layout, including coupler height. I even reinspect on a regular 5 year schedule, but these things still happen!:mad:

Everybody have a great day.

Good Morning everyone
Sorry I’ve been away. All your progress and layouts looking great. Finally turned cold here in the Ozark foothills.

I've been working on some MOW rolling stock here’s a work caboose that I’ve been working on this is what I have so far. I’ll not to stay absent for so long
BA2BD115-F8A4-439F-A70D-1436429B3355.jpeg
11970511-C1C1-412E-9897-55020F24399A.jpeg
89D8B234-63FD-47CE-ABA8-D2B95FEF9282.jpeg
9D6A855B-32CC-400F-83D5-CF3422428DC2.jpeg
4D91EFD3-FB05-4A90-8839-73A5D86AC429.jpeg
AB1476E7-E3E8-428A-AC3C-ED2C1F7B1843.jpeg
54B53FF3-0A18-4C80-AAB2-7F79AA930BAC.jpeg
DF343DDD-A660-44D8-8258-BC8235D78B26.jpeg
80844665-CE89-40CB-BBDD-D0021C2E5A92.jpeg
3AED1805-8146-40DA-82E1-68C7DF5A0A9D.jpeg

Lee: That's a cool project. Those old Mantua, Tyco cabin cars were great fodder for conversion to PRr N8 Cabins back in the day.

Willie: That Gas Station looks great. Also the abandoned barn project turned out well, with the foliage. love the resident kitty.

Chet: I'm going to try some rattle can grey primer. If nothing else, it may provide better adhesion for the "Pavement" colored craft acrylic. Got the rest of the road and crossings cut out, now to paint and install.

Boris

Lee: That's a cool project. Those old Mantua, Tyco cabin cars were great fodder for conversion to PRr N8 Cabins back in the day.

Willie: That Gas Station looks great. Also the abandoned barn project turned out well, with the foliage. love the resident kitty.

Chet: I'm going to try some rattle can grey primer. If nothing else, it may provide better adhesion for the "Pavement" colored craft acrylic. Got the rest of the road and crossings cut out, now to paint and install.

Boris

Thanks for the complement Boris
I’m going to try to build one of those some day

Good Morning Everyone...overcast and seasonal in Wisconsin.

I think that yesterday when I test ran the Bachmann 70 tonner on a test track I ran against a block at the end of the test track at full speed and I believe the brushes can not handle that amount RPM's or electrical input against an immovable object such as the block. If the motor wiring overheated then then motor should not operate. Now just running the locomotive and time will tell if any permanent damage was done to the motor. With a replacement locomotive on order, maybe I'll have two little 70 tonners or at least some spare parts.

Off back downstairs to the train room until the Packer game this afternoon.

Later...

Greg

#####################

Good morning all. Another beautiful day in Houston. They are few and far between here. I did get the truck washed and waxed yesterday.

Thank you for the likes. I still have two major projects to do. I need to complete the river and the mountain and tunnel in the back. With winter coming I should be able to get them done.

Good morning. Thought we could sleep in with the time change, but our little doxie had different plans. It was tie to eat. 37 degrees to start the day and we could get into the mid 40's by afternoon. Still have snow on the ground, but snow or no snow, I will get the mowing deck off of the tractor and the snow plow mounted. My son and his wife come over every Sunday for dinner and he'll come a little early.

Willie - Really like that old barn. It is quite the addition to the layout. Gas station and beauty shop also great additions.

Sherrel
- Those are some chilly temps for this part of the year down there. Two weeks without the other half? I have seen a couple of videos on the UV activated glue. Dentists use it quit often I hear. Maybe that's what Ray should try.

Mickey - You wouldn't know what to do with a straight board. Grin.gif Don't think they have grown any straight trees for decades. Whan was the last time you really saw a straight board???

Greg - Funny that you should mention problems with the Bachmann 70 ton switcher. Mine has been running flawlessly for months and is now acting up again. I'm so pissed off at it I think I'll remove the couplers and s--tcan it. Better label or color code the wiring before you forget what you did. Probably would have happened to me except that I wrote it on the framing for the layout.

Lee - Nice kit back. Waiting to see the finished product.

I did get down to the train room for a while yesterday. Ran a train around that layout for a while with the track cleaning are before doing any switching.

thumbnail_20191102_142936.jpg thumbnail_20191102_141625.jpg thumbnail_20191102_142601.jpg

Cleaned some of the sidings while the trains was running around and then let the little 45 ton switcher pick up a couple of box cars loaded with grain and take them to the mill in Logan.

thumbnail_20191102_144345.jpg

thumbnail_20191102_144710.jpg

Once the grain cars were dropped off, the RDC got to make a few trips around the layout.

thumbnail_20191102_141346.jpg

thumbnail_20191102_141400.jpg

The race today is in Willie's neck of the woods. The NASCAR season is almost over. Three more races.

Later.

Chet: Like I mentioned I ordered another 70 tonner from Bachmann and hope I don't ruin this one.

I did run this morning the one that smoked and it's running just fine and the motor felt cool after the run. I wish I could find a chassis from another manufacture that I could use the 70 tonner's shell and toss the mechanicals or at worst have a non-powered unit.

I did find some information where that the decoders used in these locomotives were less than average quality.

Here's a link to a sound install in a 70 tonner.

https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=8715

Greg - Funny that you should mention problems with the Bachmann 70 ton switcher. Mine has been running flawlessly for months and is now acting up again. I'm so pissed off at it I think I'll remove the couplers and s--tcan it

Could it be a cracked axle gear or universal in the drive chain?

Chet: Nice photos in today's posting.

Thanks.

Greg

Last edited:
The race today is in Willie's neck of the woods. The NASCAR season is almost over. Three more races.
Last evening while going to a birthday party in Denton, in addition to dealing with racetrack traffic along IH-35, we had to deal with the end of UNT's homecoming game on the same road at the same time. Fun! Fun! Fun!

Good morning. Thought we could sleep in with the time change, but our little doxie had different plans. It was tie to eat. 37 degrees to start the day and we could get into the mid 40's by afternoon. Still have snow on the ground, but snow or no snow, I will get the mowing deck off of the tractor and the snow plow mounted. My son and his wife come over every Sunday for dinner and he'll come a little early.

Willie - Really like that old barn. It is quite the addition to the layout. Gas station and beauty shop also great additions.

Sherrel
- Those are some chilly temps for this part of the year down there. Two weeks without the other half? I have seen a couple of videos on the UV activated glue. Dentists use it quit often I hear. Maybe that's what Ray should try.

Mickey - You wouldn't know what to do with a straight board. View attachment 41221 Don't think they have grown any straight trees for decades. Whan was the last time you really saw a straight board???

Greg - Funny that you should mention problems with the Bachmann 70 ton switcher. Mine has been running flawlessly for months and is now acting up again. I'm so pissed off at it I think I'll remove the couplers and s--tcan it. Better label or color code the wiring before you forget what you did. Probably would have happened to me except that I wrote it on the framing for the layout.

Lee - Nice kit back. Waiting to see the finished product.

I did get down to the train room for a while yesterday. Ran a train around that layout for a while with the track cleaning are before doing any switching.

View attachment 41222 View attachment 41223 View attachment 41224

Cleaned some of the sidings while the trains was running around and then let the little 45 ton switcher pick up a couple of box cars loaded with grain and take them to the mill in Logan.

View attachment 41226
View attachment 41227

Once the grain cars were dropped off, the RDC got to make a few trips around the layout.

View attachment 41228
View attachment 41229

Later.

Like those pics Chet

Afternoon All,

Did some chores first thing and put another layer of concrete over one area on the pool deck. After this we went to pick up a free captains bed and mattress for a friend of my daughter. That with picking it up, moving it and putting it together wasted all afternoon.

Willie- Nice looking buildings.

Lee- Nice job on the MOW car. Is the body going to be grey?

Chet- Nice layout shots.

Greg- Nice job.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Afternoon All,

Did some chores first thing and put another layer of concrete over one area on the pool deck. After this we went to pick up a free captains bed and mattress for a friend of my daughter. That with picking it up, moving it and putting it together wasted all afternoon.

Willie- Nice looking buildings.

Lee- Nice job on the MOW car. Is the body going to be grey?

Chet- Nice layout shots.

Greg- Nice job.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Yes just going to be a fictional MOW bought some Microscale decals for it that’s just read MW and other goodies. Thanks for the complement

Well before I call it a day and waiting for some decals I found this old relic in the parts box it has been broken and the thread is a tangled mess sometimes I’ve thought about just throwing it away but I didn’t. So I stated working on it first up is to get that 40yr JB weld off. Talk to you guys later

ADBFFCA0-B4D9-4DD8-9B00-987BE632D0A9.jpeg
8207CA8E-2F1E-47DD-A8D9-CA7DE459FA17.jpeg
0CFDFCE8-89F9-40B8-ADEF-B192BE358227.jpeg
BE193B2C-318A-4AD3-9F63-1A892027104E.jpeg
1C16F228-BE5D-45F9-9B9C-89ABCAC4FBBA.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back