Running Bear’s November 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning fellows! It's darn near winter around here - temp of 44* (record low is 43*) == supposed to reach 82* this afternoon - so we have to dress in layers.
The winds seem to be slacking off up north where most all the fires are located. Yesterday afternoon I took the pups over to the dog park and for a good 15 min we were the only ones there ... that makes it sooo nice to be able to let them walk/run off-leash going to from the pens.
Drove the truck around town and did not have even a sputter of a problem - what gives? Could I simply have got ahold of some bad fuel? Today I will take it out to the MIL's house during the hot part of the day and see if it acts up again.
MOH wants to drive to San Bernardo this evening to watch the grandson perform in his band competition, then I have to take her to San Deigo at o'dark thirty in the morning where she is going to N. C. for a week to help #2 daughter while she goes to a conference somewhere for several days.
Never a dull moment around here.....

While I was scouting around for hints about the CA glue problem, I found out one fact I was unaware of, and that is CA requires some moisture to be present, to work,

Yeah, having been using CA with model RC planes since the early 90s that was one I learned early on. Breathing on it seems to help when you are trying to set it (but turn to the side to breath in -- CA fumes are basty and are Bad for you with a capital B). You can also buy a liquid quick-set that will cause it to "go" instantly.

RAY - I actually have no idea of what you are attempting to do, however - plain baking soda sprinkled on "wet" CA will cause it to cure instantly -- hope this helps?
Spotted that also, will try that. It that doesn't stick it, it must be some incompatibility. As to what I'm trying to do is change from bulbs to LED/SMD's (surface mount diodes) and use the optic fiber as the headlight material.

toot: There's a semi-new, alternative to CA, product out there which I'm interested in.
Basically a resin which can be applied, stays flexible and removable until it's 'cured' by ultra-violet light. Supposedly cures clear and rapidly. I've seen it applied to various materials with high degree of hold.

toot: There's a semi-new, alternative to CA, product out there which I'm interested in.
Basically a resin which can be applied, stays flexible and removable until it's 'cured' by ultra-violet light. Supposedly cures clear and rapidly. I've seen it applied to various materials with high degree of hold.
Sherman - I have used that UV-activated glue and it works pretty well. At least a portion of the glue joint must be visible for the UV light to hit in order for curing to begin. Unlike CA, if you get it somewhere that you don't want, fingers for example, it's easy enough to wipe off before you use the UV light. Seems to work as well as CA adhesives for me. Shop! Prices seem to be all over the place.

In honor of National Train Month, I started another project in my basement train room.
I put up a couple narrow shelves along the wall to display some flat cars with loads.
I put up an 8" wide shelf at 7-1/2 feet high and a 3-1/2" at 6-1/2 feet high so I can get behind my layout without having to bandage my head.
You can guess how much fun it is to swing 12 foot long boards thru a door and up on brackets by yourself.

The bottom shelf has a vertical curve caused by gravitational forces, so I need to add a couple more middle brackets to level it up.
I plan to mount some old flex track on the shelves, so I don't want the cars rolling around on the track.

Well, I need to do less running of my mouth and more running of my cordless drill.

The last time they worked on my teeth they used that glue. It's still there, since 2012.

Afternoon All,

I did some concrete patching on the pool deck today. Yesterday I ordered strip wood from NESL to finish the 2 remaining engine servicing platforms and a flat car deck prior to putting on a tractor load. I'm watching the FL/GA game and FL better get their collective act together because they're playing like crap.

Justin- Nice to see you checking in.

Willie- Great job on the barn area. I think the tree in the barn looks fine as it is.

Tex- Great looking scene.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Afternoon Everyone....overcast and raining in this part of Wisconsin.

Good day model railroading for the most part. Shopped at Walther's and used the 13% Discount for the weekend Special program and a $50 Punch Card which saved me some money. Business was slow at Walther's for whatever reason, but I spent an hour there shopping. The clerk forgot a bottle of Microscale Micro Set which I need for today's decaling, so I diluted Walter's setting solution with water and it worked fine.

I finished lettering my Bachmann 70 tonner and while on the test track smoke came from somewhere within the unit. The CM&N on both sides of the cab and a letter "3" on both sides of the front is finished. I know it wasn't the DCC decoder so it must be the motor. It happened while I was doing a break in with the shell off. The locomotive stills runs but for how long? Anyway a new locomotive is $49.00 so if the motor is shot it doesn't pay to ship back to Bachmann's repair department given the repair and shipping costs. I'll run it until it fails, but I did order a replacement from Bachmann since I sure like that little locomotive. I post some photographs of the finished "Patch" job.

Did some scenery work in an area that I noted needed some additional Woodland Clump Foliage. I used "cheap" contact cement to attach the foliage that I paid a dollar a tube from the Dollar Store and it works great for attaching scenery to slope and is a lot less expensive than using GOO. When I find the glue in stock I'll buy several tubes at a time.

A GP38-2 was hesitating at certain spots on the layout and it turned out to be a low hanging glad hand on a Kadee coupler which required adjustment. It was an intermittent problem and at first I suspected dirty wheel sets or a broken power wire, but the coupler adjustment solved the problem. The problem was only at certain turnouts no other locomotive has had problems running through this areas.

Miller Time.................

Later.

Greg

###################################

IMG_0238.JPG
Some of the under-layout wiring and electronics for the Tomar flashing grade crossing signals. Someday I'll remember to color code the wiring!-Greg

I've seen that advertised and wondered about it.

So down in the train room today. Laid out all of my structures. Laid out where my roads are going to go. No track work though. I'm really not feeling up to replacing my broken turn out as of yet. It's one of my modified turnouts so itll have to be cut to fit. I purchased some more company houses to add to my layout. I'll have four of those total. For my space itll look nice. I had to cut out some things for this layout. I however gained more out of it. I'll end up making my own sidewalks as I couldn't get anything to fit with the molded ones. Space is playing I bigger factor this time. The plan as a whole was from the jump to split the layout up in the middle. Make it seem as though the layout is bigger than it is. There will be more frustrations in the future for sure. For my sanity though everything has been drawn in pencil so I can change things as needed going forward. I do hope I don't have to change much. In other news I found replacement couplers for my GP35. Still have no idea what happened to the original couplers and coupler boxes. I have Kadee couplers and boxes to install on it now. Hopefully will be a good fit on it. Won't know until I try installing them. Itll be my last project to do tonight before i turn in. I'll let y'all know how it works out.

Good morning. It's clear and 30. Nothing much happened to the trains yesterday, I did our week's shopping, picked up RX's, got the first oil change on the truck, and winterized the trailer.

More experimenting?:oops:

I remembered this morning that I had actually bought a couple of those ultra violet glue kits from an on-line shop a couple of years ago on a special price and I looked and found them. Things were lookin' up. Tried it out tonight and was very successful in sticking the optic fiber to these otherwise not wanting to ones. It seemed it was best to put a tiny drop on each piece, rather than just one and bringing them together. That was where my luck ended for the night. Those SMD's, when tested, turned out to be blue/whites (even though I had ordered warm/whites).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back