Running Bear’s November 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. 47° and clear to start our day here. Today is the last nice day with temperatures around 75°. Cold norther hits tomorrow around midday and temperature drops to the lower 20's tomorrow and Tuesday night; before everything returns to more seasonable temperatures Wednesday.
Eggs over easy with an English Muffin and bacon today Flo.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments regarding yesterday's progress pictures, Sherrel, Garry, Tom, Joe, Phil, Rick, Mikey, Chet, Chad, Jerome, Kelly Ann.
Here's another shot, more close-up than yesterday's.
11-10-19 004.JPG

Looks like another project sometime in the future leveling out the sidewalks in this block, although I have seen this type of disparity in the real world before.

Spent only about an hour in the train shed yesterday. Mostly ran trains. I did remove another structure from the layout for cleaning and rehab, a Woolworth's five & dime store. This one is next to the plant store that I did yesterday, It's another oldie from ConCor from about 30 years ago. It's half a kit with the Ice Cream Store, that's somewhere else in the train shed awaiting rehab as well.
11-10-19 005.JPG

This one needs mainly cleaning and perhaps more figures and detailing. There are glue spots on the sidewalk indicating that I once had an additional five figures here. It does need more.

Garry - Come on, get well soon. Adding details to the barn (and lots of other structures) will continue as time passes. Next time that I use weeds somewhere, I will inevitably add a tuft or two to the barn. I will do the same when I am using scrub trees elsewhere as well. Sometimes I just don't see all the possibilities at first glance.
Joe - Warehouse looks good. Now it just needs a bucket of dirt.

Happy Birthday Marines. Everybody have a great day.

Yesterday's haul from Trainfest:
IMG_2507.JPG
IMG_2508.JPG

I know, I know, "What's this guy doing with a diesel", right? I do have a small collection of second and third generation diesels in bloody nose, and I've always liked the tunnel motor. Well my son and I found a couple of tables on the way out of the show, guys just getting rid of stuff. This thing was still factory sealed, and I basically stole it. Great price! It's a DCC ready model, so there's that. This is my first one of these Scale Trains models, so we wandered over to the Scale Trains booth and I asked about the insides. My son recently bought a DCC ready Atlas Alco C-425. The speaker was already in there, he just has to plug in the decoder when he's ready. No speaker in this one, but the enclosure is there. They will sell you the right decoder and speakers, program it for you and ship it out to you. Great service! Nice folks too. It'll get the decoder and round out the roster for that era, along with the U-50, MP-15, the GP-35, and the SW-1500's. Then I picked up a couple of 8,000 gallon tankers from Tangent. Beautifully done, very well detailed, and can be handled without breaking things as long as you don't get crazy. Their detail is resin kit level. I went over budget a bit but oh well! My haul from Trainfest the last couple years has been stuff like a few detail parts, the odd tool, and like that, so I guess things average out. That's my story anyway, and I'm sticking with it :)

Open house at the club went well. Huge crowd. I got interviewed by Ken Patterson for "What's Neat in Model Railroading This Week". Looking forward to seeing how he covers the club.

Thanks to all who liked my steamers! Sherrell, I'd have to decide which one my favorite is before I could tell you, and I think my head might explode trying! They all have meaning is one way or another and most have a lot of time in them waking them up from long slumbers in their boxes. It's a true conundrum!

"Boris- Your pier warehouse is nicely detailed. You need to drop about 6 pounds of dirt on it and spay it down with a garden hose, lol."
Joe - Warehouse looks good. Now it just needs a bucket of dirt.

Mikie and Willie:
Definitely need a lot of dirt...and a couple of pricey fork lifts. Thanks for the complements.

I did remove another structure from the layout for cleaning and rehab, a Woolworth's five & dime store. This one is next to the plant store that I did yesterday, It's another oldie from ConCor from about 30 years ago

That's a great building, Willie, I believe it dates back before that. originally, the kit was marketed as part of the "Courthouse Square" series by "Heljan, through Walthers. The structures, were ostensibly based on prototypes in Galena Il. I had several back in the day, but at the time found them too difficult, because I was impatient. Ultimately some made it into Walthers structures lines, while others were marketed by ConCor. There was an article in Model railroader, by Linn Wescott, featuring the structures in a turn of the last century setting, maybe back in the 70s. it's a great model.

Boris
Open house at the club went well. Huge crowd. I got interviewed by Ken Patterson for "What's Neat in Model Railroading This Week". Looking forward to seeing how he covers the club.

Alan: Cool! Have to look for the new podcast.

Boris

Good morning. 37 degrees and rain. So far their winter weather advisory is a flop ( as it is a lot of the time). 3 to 5 inches of snow was forecast and we got nothing. Checking the radar, the only precipitation i far top the north or east of us.

I also want to wish our Marines a Happy Birthday.

Kellyann
- P;ease do have Arthur stop by the coffee house and introduce himself.

Alan - Looks like you did well at the trainfest.

Willie - As usual, excellent photos. Like the Woolworths.

Garry
- Bob brought up that we aren't supposed to bring up politics here. I could be guilty depending on your mind set. All I mentioned was the name of my exercise device.

Sherrel
- I hope this does not fall into politics but you did bring up Jane Fonda. Back in the 80's Ted Turned had (still has) a large ranch just south of here. At the time Jane Fonda was married to him. I have mentioned a few times that Stacey's Old Faithful Bar was my watering hole. One afternoon Jane walked into the bar. Big Mistake. This valley is full of veterans, many of them also enjoying Stacey's and she was able to leave without being injured of tarred and feathered. Never bothered coming back again.

Next to the last NASCAR race for the year at Phoenix today. Have my beer and pop corn realy.

Back into the photo archives again.

001.jpg

Later

OK, see]ms we set a new record for the high temp yesterday of 90 degrees. The high today is only expected to reach 82*
I might add that there is very little chance of snow for the next 10 days as well as slim chance of any moisture what-so-ever! Guess that I can leave the snow shovel packed away a while longer.

Had a great time last evening, at the annual bunco thanksgiving dinner. Must have enjoyed myself as I am somewhat hung over this morning,but the show must go on -- Look Out Bean Tree -- here I come!

Was pleased to see Lsu beat Bama yesterday - made my day!
Nice set of posters there, Beady!

Good Afternoon Everyone.....sort of overcast again this morning. Cold weather is coming.

Just doing the internet today and plan a major model railroading day tomorrow. Plans for tomorrow is to install the Pico LED arc welding electrics that I purchased for the Waupaca Junk Yard. The three mini-LED's really throw out the light and they are guaranteed for 100,000 hours. I plan on wiring them to the LED lighting buss and then be controlled by a switch on the master panel. Then add some junk for the three workers to cut up for scrape.

Another project for tomorrow is to decal 'CM&N' on the hood of second Bachmann 70 tonner that arrived last week. Once the decals dry, I'll do a break in run for the locomotive for several hours.

Lunch time so maybe more later after the Packer game.

Greg

#####################

IMG_0422.JPG

This is called Rocky Junction on the CM&N, the lower track leads to the future freight yard and the upper track is the main line. The second box car is a Santa Fe that I purchased in Phoenix as a remembrance of that trip. There's a long story behind the modeler who build the kit and did the minor weathering.-Greg

PS: Click to enlarge for better detail.

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Did some chores earlier then cut scale 1x6's and stained them for the 1 1/2 diesel platforms that still needs them. I also cut the boards for the Erie flat car and glued them on the car. After the glue dried I brushed the boards with a brass bristle brush, applied a light brushing of A&I then lightly sanded that. I plan on putting 2 metal wheel tractors (Athearn) as a load.

Willie- Nice looking scenes.

Espeefan- Nice haul from the show.

Chet- Great scene. I really like the kids playing volleyball.

Beady- Great travel posters.

Greg- Excellent scene.

20191110_142634-2016x1512.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon all. Sunny and 72 here in H-Town. Nothing new on my layout so I thought I'd dig up some photos from a trip couple of years back. There are a few excursion trains in Texas and the Hill Country Flyer is one of them. They have a steam locomotive but it has been in the shop for years. Most of the delay is getting parts or maybe better said making parts. They reportedly have to make casts for the castings. To bad there's no "Loco-R-Us" or "Loco Zone". (Well that last one might exist). So they are using an SD40-2 to pull a train from Cedar Park to Burnet, passing through Bertram.
You are met at the Burnet station by some gun slingers who put on a show before the train makes it's return trip. They us a "Y" to reverse direction, backing out of Burnet.
Hill Country Flyer.JPG
Hill Country Flyer- Inside coach 1746, our coach.JPG
Hill Country Flyer-11.JPG
Bertram-2.JPG
Hill Country Flyer-Pulling in to Burnet.JPG
Burnet Gunfighter Town-9.JPG
The Burnet Y-1.JPG

Good afternoon all. Sunny and 72 here in H-Town. Nothing new on my layout so I thought I'd dig up some photos from a trip couple of years back. There are a few excursion trains in Texas and the Hill Country Flyer is one of them. They have a steam locomotive but it has been in the shop for years. Most of the delay is getting parts or maybe better said making parts. They reportedly have to make casts for the castings. To bad there's no "Loco-R-Us" or "Loco Zone". (Well that last one might exist). So they are using an SD40-2 to pull a train from Cedar Park to Burnet, passing through Bertram.
You are met at the Burnet station by some gun slingers who put on a show before the train makes it's return trip. They us a "Y" to reverse direction, backing out of Burnet.View attachment 41410View attachment 41411View attachment 41412View attachment 41413View attachment 41414View attachment 41415View attachment 41416
Trains, cowboys and guns, what more could you want?
DSCF0588.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back