Running Bear’s August 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of birds, on my walk around the park, opposite, there is a pair of Australian Plovers (also known as masked lapwings, or spurred lapwings) with a chic, I discovered today. They are waders usually. The male is particularly noisy, a real loud rasping seagull sound and they nest on the ground. The male actually had a 'go' at me a couple of days ago. I could hear his screeching very close, but not exactly where it was. I was looking up in the trees, which is where I thought it was (Hearing aids are useless in detecting direction), I then looked down on the grass and here it is, only 10 feet away, with it's partner about 20'. It advanced on me with wings spread wide and as I moved away, flew up around me. I always carry an old garden tool handle with me, so just waved it about a bit and it backed off. This is what it looked like. (Mark David's photo). Note the spurs on the wings.
1566568720068.png

Willie-
Your Tire Shack is great, but much too clean for a tire shop.
Maybe, add a banner saying GRAND OPENING to explain the pristine condition.
Maybe, add a couple stacks of new tires with SALE signs.
Not being critical, just a couple suggestions worth what you are paying for them.. :)

Thanks for the suggestions Mikey. At the present time it is still a work in progress and that whole area is due for weathering soon, especially tire marks on the pavement. It is part of a much larger project on a turnback "blob" of about 18 sq ft. I like the Grand Opening idea very much and it would fit in well with the pennants that I just installed.

Over on the Train Shows and Auctions forum, I just posted about the fall train show coming up September 7 here in Springfield MO. I'll be there, as usual - mostly looking for small structures and things to enhance the landscaping, businesses, etc. Not so much looking for freight cars, although I usually end up buying a few. I'm sure MOH will go with me 'cause she likes to find things for Christmas presents - and I don't mind if she does!! Anybody from this area plan on going?

Good morning. 52 degrees with an expected high in the mid 70's.

Sure missed a lot on the forum. For some reason it is not updating on my phone.

Liked the tires a lot that were put on the wife's car. I thought that they would be a bit noisy due to the aggressive tread desiign but they were extremely quite.

thumbnail_20190820_172307.jpg Like them so much I was thinking of putting them on my Buick next spring nut they are not available in the size I need.

I am glad to hear that NWSL will continue to be in business. When I first started into HO scale many moons ago, they were an excellent resource for items that I needed to upgrade the Athearn diesels as they were probably the best bang for the buck but still had a lot to be desired. Got them to run almost as good as my Atlas Alcos with the Kato drive.

Kyle - glad to see you back on the forum.

Patrick - Hope your grandson enjoys his layout. Looks interesting.

Louis
- I might qualify as an old fart driver. I like to drive right at the speed limit just to piss off all of the idiots that are in a hurry but I am totally aware of traffic around me. Ine thing that does piss me off ar the idiots who want to homestead the left lane on a multi lane road and drive 5, 10 or more mph under the speed limit.

Justin - Glad to see you posting photos again. I really like to see those photos from the eastern coal fields.

Johnny - More good photos. Keep them coming.

Willie
- The little trailer house scene is a great way to use a space that most would not want to try to fit something in such a small space. Well done.

Garry - Great photo of the Burlington E units. I really like them but apparently you like them more.

Still haven't had much time to spend in my train room, but Thursday was an ops day at the club. Big problem yesterday. There were only two of us able to make it with quite a lot of visitors. I was running my shortie NP train behind the F-7. Couldn't pull many cars as we try to have a track cleaning car running at times and they weigh as much as 4 average cars. It is right behind the locomotive.

thumbnail_20190822_151540.jpg

We always like to have as many train running as possible for visitors so I put the MP Pacific Passenger train on the throttle and was able to manage to run both of them at the same time without having a wreck.

thumbnail_20190822_144007.jpg

The first photo is at the beginning of the grade. The second is just about where the other main line joins in from the east subdivision in the other room.
thumbnail_20190822_144143.jpg

It was hard at times trying to keep an eye on both trains as all of the rooms were clogged with visitors and the isles are barely wide enough for two people to pass each other. The last photo has the F unit just passing the summit and the steamer making its way up to the top.

thumbnail_20190822_152316.jpg

Got things to do ............................ Later

Louis -

For the "ballpark" variety, melt some sliced processed American cheese with a little milk in the microwave. Better is to use some grated cheddar with some cream. Experiment a little to get the ratios right.

Taco trucks (and other food trucks) here in Texas are tightly regulated and taxed just like a normal food joint. There's a rigorous health inspection permitting process as well. Most cities also regulate where they can park, usually on a private lot or designated area on a city street.
"The city is no place for food trucks". Tell that to the workers on a construction site and see how far that goes!

Willie, thank you for the nacho cheese recipe. I'll have to experiment with it. I can buy the same brand we used at Memorial Stadium, "Rico's", family owned since 1909 of San Antonio, TX in the grocery store and I just did. :) It has more to it than just cheese. It has cheese whey, vegetable oil, cheddar cheese, jalapenos, milk, vinegar, salt and lots of other stuff I doubt is any good for me. I'll start with grated cheddar and cream as you suggested. Then add some jalapenos and vinegar. Might take me a few tries, but I should come up with something I like. Now that I have read the ingredients, my home made nacho cheese will probably be better for me, thank you again.

I make my own salsa, why not nacho cheese? Only problem with my salsa is nobody else eats it, they say I use too many jalapenos. It will probably be the same with my nacho cheese, but I'll enjoy it as I'm watching a ball game.

We have food truck regulations, the food trucks buy licenses, every business pays taxes, especially in the city. Food trucks don't pay property tax and Baltimore City property tax is expensive, 2.248% of assessed value. We do have a personal property tax business owners pay of 5.62% on equipment, inventory and other things, but according to the Baltimore Sun very few food trucks are domiciled in the city and therefore the owners are not subject to the personal property tax. Most other jurisdictions in Maryland don't have the personal property tax the city does.

Food Trucks are also inspected by the city health department. They are not supposed to set up within 500' of a "brick and mortar" food place, but they do and nobody does anything about it. Unless you get a city councilmen involved. My wife had to do that when a food truck setup on the street in front of her store. It took a week, but they finally moved on and set up a 1/4 mile away in front of a 7-Eleven. There is one nasty looking Spanish food truck that sets up everyday right across the street from a dinner several blocks from me. There is also a MacDonald's, Wendy's, Subway and 3 convince stores in walking distance of the food truck. They feed the workers waiting outside of home depot, among others. It's bad enough the contractors are getting over by hiring those laborers and not paying income tax. Now the food truck is stealing business from established places.

I understand food trucks have become a recent phenomenon and many serve high quality foods. I would not have a problem with food trucks if they followed the rules There are not many places with customers in the city that are 500' away from a brick and mortar food place. I know from doing mobile service and other outside contracting for many years, food trucks are important in rural areas and other places where there are no food places. Many mechanical shops and other places have food trucks that make daily stops.

Personally speaking, I'm not buying anything from a food truck that does not come in a factory sealed container. I have always referred to them as a "roach coach", but that's just me. As you know, I'm a little on the crazy side. :)

Liked the tires a lot that were put on the wife's car. I thought that they would be a bit noisy due to the aggressive tread desiign but they were extremely quite.

View attachment 38841 Like them so much I was thinking of putting them on my Buick next spring nut they are not available in the size I need.

Louis - I might qualify as an old fart driver. I like to drive right at the speed limit just to piss off all of the idiots that are in a hurry but I am totally aware of traffic around me. Ine thing that does piss me off ar the idiots who want to homestead the left lane on a multi lane road and drive 5, 10 or more mph under the speed limit.
Chet, they are good looking tires! Ever since manufactures have been using computers to come up with tread designs it is amazing what they have done as far as balancing traction, wear and noise. Maybe next year they will have the size you need.

I'm with you as far as slow drivers in the left lanes! Don't they teach slower traffic to the right in drivers education anymore? It should be on the drivers test!

Why is it so many drivers seem like they are late? What happened to arriving early? If I'm not at least 10 minutes early I feel like I'm late.

It's good to see your post, I missed you!

I like your club layout, but I prefer the one you have at your house.

Well Doggies! We have had a break in the weather department. It's a cool 63* at this time and supposed to go on up to 86* later on. It was 86* yesterday and the record was 100* in 2010.

I've been trying to help "RANDY" with learning the ropes on how the photo albums work. I finally figured out how to do it for myself, so now maybe I can help him? If you don't know RANDY - he is re-creating the John Allen layout ... looks like he has a good start.

Good to see all the posts ... Louis - I miss "Milwalkee 113" Why does he not post here anymore.
Cubbiees are hanging tough! Padres- not so much! AND where's JOE?

Like them so much I was thinking of putting them on my Buick next spring nut they are not available in the size I need.
It's an asymmetrical tread pattern and directional i.e. must only roll in the forward direction when driving. Means you can't rotate them around the car as is normal. Only can be changed from front to back and vice-versa, on the same side, not from opposite corners.

Last edited:
So, the wife and I are over at my mother's old apartment, cleaning it out in prep for the formal move to her assisted-living digs, when I find some, er, items. I immediately emailed my brother to claim "dibs," but now I'm wondering what I can do with them without risking a war crimes trial.
20190823_152845.jpg

So, the wife and I are over at my mother's old apartment, cleaning it out in prep for the formal move to her assisted-living digs, when I find some, er, items. I immediately emailed my brother to claim "dibs," but now I'm wondering what I can do with them without risking a war crimes trial.View attachment 38849
Put them under your pillow and see if the tooth fairy comes for a visit.

It's an asymmetrical tread pattern and directional i.e. must only roll in the forward direction when driving. Means you can't rotate them around the car as is normal. Only can be changed from front to back and vice-versa, on the same side, not from opposite corners.

I think most modern tires are directional and you only rotate front back, and not side to side also. I know all the tires I have had in the last 10+ years have been so.

Beady, I suspect and I'm hoping they weren't removed under duress. If they had been I believe the gold would have already been removed. I think you can remove the gold without risk of prosecution.

Your post brings to mind horrific images from our past. I pray we never forget the worst atrocity in the history of man, the Holocaust.

Tires, one of my favorite subjects. Tires are near and dear to my heart. I'll tell you why, but first I'll share a little information.

Asymmetrical and or directional tires are usually factory installed on performance and other high-end vehicles. Not all directional tires are asymmetrical.

Standard tires are factory installed on most other cars and trucks. All standard tires are symmetrical.

You can buy any type of tire you like on the aftermarket. It is not recommended to mix asymmetrical and or directional tires with standard tires.

Tires with symmetrical tread patterns can wear longer than asymmetrical tires.

Tires with asymmetrical tread patterns generally out perform symmetrical tires in wet traction and resistance to hydroplaning at higher speeds.

Directional tires with a symmetrical tread patterns can have superior traction and handling characteristics in dry conditions vs asymmetrical tires and standard tires.

Tread patterns are only one aspect of tires. We must also consider load rating, speed rating and other factors when choosing a tire.

It can be surprising how much technology goes into tires. Michelin claims to invest as much research and development into tires as what goes into a smart phone. Other manufactures also invest heavily into research and development. They vigorously protect their trade secrets, but they all copy off of each other.

There is no one best tire manufacturer for all applications. We should choose the right tire for our individual needs.

Thanks to my "free" training provided by Ryder, General Tire, Bandag, Michelin and Firestone I have sold many millions of dollars worth of tires in my life. I still occasionally sell a few tires and make a few dollars consulting.

I started with Ryder as a part time truck washer. I worked third shift in the fall of 1985 through the spring of 1986 washing trucks. I often went home covered in ice. It was really cold when the ice began to melt as I drove 21 miles home. I moved up to a full time job working second shift on the fuel Island in the spring of 1986. In early summer of the same year I was offered the job of tire man, working first shift. I ended up as the Tire Maintenance Manager for Ryder before moving on in the fall of 1987 to continue my "education".

I often think of what a truck driver said to me as I was just beginning my "education" with Ryder. I was repairing his flat tire and he said to me "you know truck drivers piss on tires" I ignored him and went about doing my job.

When I reached 7 figures in annual earnings working for myself. Mostly thanks to my willingness to do the "dirty work" and work my way up, learning every step of the way. I wondered, what he would that truck driver have to say to me about that?

Good morning Everybody!

It's 63, but it feels like a chill in the air this morning compared to the weather we have had.

As far as earnings go; making it don't mean you get to keep it! ;) Not so easy come, but easy go. Personally speaking, I'm not sure what costs more, an ex-wife or health problems?
For some reason "my get up and go, got up and went!"

Have a great day Everybody!

Good morning.

Chet .... The NP passenger train with a Pacific and the NP freight train with a single F7 unit are very nice.

Tom ..... That is an impressive bridge. Thanks for the photo and the link to information about it.

Louis .... It is always good to see E-units although PC did not have the most attractive paint scheme.

Everybody .... Have a nice Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back