Running Bear’s August 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

What a day yesterday. Got called in at 12:15 am by the Police Department due to what turned out to be a cable issue with the local cable provider. Once they were called in and admitted they had an issue and fixed it, it was too late for me to get back home before I would have had to turn around and come in. So I worked my 9 hour from 12:30 am and got home at 10:00 am. Only got about a 20 minute nap. Grandson saw my newest lift section and gave it a thumbs up. The little sneak ran the engine I had left on the track to test and said it ran better on the tracks than it had before. Grandkids...lol

Today has been kind of back to normal. I did receive the final box from the auctions yesterday. Not sure if I like what I got or not. I did see some parts in the Blue box engine, but as tired as I was, I just took them to the train area and left them for the night. I never realized until yesterday that Proto2000 line were originally from LifeLike. Based on internet research, that dates my new to me FA-1 to before 2005. I always knew them to be from Walther's.

Likewise, although it is only temporary for six months.
As did I when I had my knee replacement X2. Times I wish they would have made it more permanent, but I do very well for having one. Glad to hear the Mrs. is doing well. I was off the pain meds when I left the facility where I had my knee replaced. I actually had the PT folks convince me to take the ibuprofen to help reduce the swelling as I was working through the recovery.

As always guys thanks for the likes and sharing your photos.

Good morning all Nice and cool, only 82* and clear. watched the rocket go up.
WOW- this is still on. It's hours later and the temp. is now 91*, low humidity- feels nice but wish it where cooler.
Not much to say, still haven't power upped the layout. Don't want to disturb the spiders. Will have to dust the tracks before pushing the track cleaning car around.
Thanks again for you who post your pixs. Really enjoy you work.
Prayers,
Phil

MOST GREAT DISCOVERIES ARE MADE BY MISTAKE

Uhm, what was the problem again? I must have forgotten or missed the original post. A "memory leak" will not spontaneously appear and will not cause Windows to not boot. If a component of Windows has a memory leak, it could cause a started boot to slow down, or even abort (or a running system to have similar issues).

A "memory leak" is a software problem, introduced in the programming of the software, where a program allocates memory and does not clean it up correctly, so it keeps allocating new memory without freeing up the used and no longer needed memory until all the memory has been claimed by the program, even if it cannot properly use it. (Which is why it is called a "leak").

I think the "service rep" doesn't have a clue on what he is talking about.

I have been a software engineer since the late 80s and have some experience with "memory leaks".

Thanks, chadgbag. I didn't think he knew what was talking about either.

Anyway, a google search provided a plethora of information along with frustrated individuals that experienced a similar phantom, and my final analysis is LUMP the old computer and buy a new one.

LASM, I suspect your problem is your SSD or hard drive. Both have limited life spans. SSD drives have supposedly improved in recent years. In the computer world 5 years is about average, anything over 5 years is a bonus. Operating any computer in high temperatures (80+) will diminish it's life span.

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles,.

Don't be sorry, be Happy!

If nothing went "wrong", we wouldn't have anything to gauge the "good" by!

Good afternoon, again, tons to catch up on.

Justin, I love your coal pics, as usual

Johnny, nice scene with hikers

Willie, the dogs and burro are great details to the trailer scene

I am prepping for the train show, which starts TOMORROW at noon in Askov, MN ((Population about 400). I wonder how they can pull it off.

unbelievably, the hotel is costing us 159.00 per night. Put the nix on two nights, however they would have given us a $10 price break (I am laughing).

Anyway, looking forward to getting my stuff out and setting up the displays. They have a big layout there (It is held in their museum, which is a converted elementary school) so will take some pics.

I won't be on line till maybe Monday since the computer crashed (another story, look above). Lucky I have a nice outfit at work.

more later, Dave

Yes, it was only 93 degrees today and no rain in my central Alabama neighborhood, again. But it is better than the 100 degrees we had on Monday. These temps create afternoon gaps in the track that wasn't there in the morning.

Yes, it was only 93 degrees today and no rain in my central Alabama neighborhood, again. But it is better than the 100 degrees we had on Monday. These temps create afternoon gaps in the track that wasn't there in the morning.
Must be heat shrinking doing that. (Kidding), 'cause I don't really think 100 deg would achieve that, but is is used to loosen nuts off bolts when the threads have "frozen" (another misnomer).

Hey, Toot, got a question. The wife and I have been watching an Aussie detective show (there seems to be a lot of Aussie and Kiwi shows on the streaming services), and in one episode they kept saying "soccer" instead of "football." I thought Yanks were the only ones who call it soccer.

Oh, and the Aussie cops all carry guns. I didn't think they did.

This particular show is named Murder Call. I think it's from the late 90s. It's got the worst opening graphics and theme song I've ever experienced, but is otherwise not bad.

Hey, Toot, got a question. The wife and I have been watching an Aussie detective show (there seems to be a lot of Aussie and Kiwi shows on the streaming services), and in one episode they kept saying "soccer" instead of "football." I thought Yanks were the only ones who call it soccer.

Oh, and the Aussie cops all carry guns. I didn't think they did.

This particular show is named Murder Call. I think it's from the late 90s. It's got the worst opening graphics and theme song I've ever experienced, but is otherwise not bad.
Yes, detective/crime shows are just a popular here as anywhere. Locally specific ones started back on Oct 20 1964, called "Homicide", on Melbourne's TV. Look it up. Police all carry sidearms. Australia's beginnings are much like America's with it's "wild west". Bush rangers is the common name for them, mostly.
As far as football, there are 4 main 'codes'
Soccer is the FFA (Football Federation Australia). Socceroos is the National Team.
Rugby is the ARU ( Australian Rugby Union) Wallabies is the National team.
Rugby League NRL (National Rugby League) Kangaroos is the National team.
Australian Football League (AFL) No National team. Commonly called 'Aussie Rules' football.

American football officially came into being here in 1996 and is called 'Gridiron Australia'.

Aussie Rules was uniquely a Victoria state game (VFL) but has now expanded Aussie wide. Different to the other codes and reputedly based on Gaelic football. Lots of running, high kicking and jumping. Has 4 goal posts at each end of an oval field, the center pair of posts being very high. Scoring is 6 points between the center pair and 1 between the outers.

Last edited:
Louis .... That is a nice photo of B&O locomotives. It also shows grimy and dirty track which would be fun to model.

Garry, For the layout in my mind, they are all clean and shinning. The wash bay, paint shop and railroad police would be very busy. Anyone caught spraying graffiti would be locked up! Fortunately, economics plays no part in my railroad world.

King Toot, that is "good oil!" :) you shared with us.

I enjoy AFL football it is a lot of fun to watch.

Thanks to Rodney I follow the
1566553639518.png
he has been schooling me on the game and it is very interesting! AFL athletes have tremendous stamina. NFL players would have to work hard to adapt and 300lb brutes would never make it.

Don't forget the Ashes!

Good morning everyone. 70 and cloudy. Rained half the night, so the yard and garden are taken care of - now I've got to catch a dry streak so I can do the mowing!

Wheeler, Chessie, Garry, Patrick, Louis, Chad, Dave, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes and comments on the hiker photo.
Willie - Nice trailer photos. The burro and dog looking at each other is a neat detail. Glad you have escaped the 100 degree heat.

Slow night in the train room. Ran trains for a very short while, and worked a bit on the other hiker group and retook a couple of photos. Here they are: they're taking a rest from their hike just as a train rolls by:
HikersWatchingTrain2.jpg
HikersWatchingTrain1.jpg

The one lady on the right looks like she's bird-spotting, but she's pointing to the train. May need to stand her up better.

Oh, well. that's it for today. Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. Clear and 78° in these parts this morning. Start me off with a pair of sunny-side up eggs and a handful of bacon this morning Flo.
Not a lot to report on the home front right now. Too warm outside to do much after noon, but extra household chores manage to fill my time. Wife's physical therapist is trying to encourage her to drive herself to the sessions. I think that they don't want to see me napping in their place every day. Had to go to two separate grocery stores yesterday because my favorite store was out of fresh dill.

Thanks to all who commented or liked the trailer scene yesterday; Sherrel, Louis, Johnny, Chad, Phil, Patrick, Justin, Garry, Dave, Tom, Jerome.

Another short day in the train shed yesterday. Sigh! Finished the pennants for the Tire Shack, it took a lot longer than anticipated. Here they are temporarily in place until I actually "plant" the pole.
08-23-19 001.001.JPG

Over on the workbench, I am still painting other details for the Fresh Market and the Gulf service station.

Louis -
I wish I knew how to make nacho cheese.
For the "ballpark" variety, melt some sliced processed American cheese with a little milk in the microwave. Better is to use some grated cheddar with some cream. Experiment a little to get the ratios right.
Taco Trucks, no, I'm not eating from any truck and where do they get off parking near other real restaurants. The city is no place for food trucks. There is a food joint on nearly every block and they pay property tax. Run those …ing food trucks out!
Taco trucks (and other food trucks) here in Texas are tightly regulated and taxed just like a normal food joint. There's a rigorous health inspection permitting process as well. Most cities also regulate where they can park, usually on a private lot or designated area on a city street.
"The city is no place for food trucks". Tell that to the workers on a construction site and see how far that goes!
Sherrel - The only good hot dog is fresh off the grill!
Garry - Thank you for your comment. It's the kind of scene that was/is common along the tracks here in Texas.

I am looking forward to the return of some of the regulars to the Shop now that summer is waning elsewhere. Hope to see some of you soon.
Everybody have a great day.

Interesting notes about "soccer"

The name "soccer" comes from England (of all places). The original or proper name is "Assocation Football" and Wikipedia has this to say:

The rules of association football were codified in England by the Football Association in 1863 and the name association football was coined to distinguish the game from the other forms of football played at the time, specifically rugby football. The first written "reference to the inflated ball used in the game" was in the mid-14th century: "Þe heued fro þe body went, Als it were a foteballe".[10] The Online Etymology Dictionary states that the "rules of the game" were made in 1848, before the "split off in 1863".[11] The term soccer comes from a slang or jocular abbreviation of the word "association", with the suffix "-er" appended to it.[12] The word soccer (which arrived at its final form in 1895) was first recorded in 1889 in the earlier form of socca.[13]

Within the English-speaking world, association football is now usually called "football" in the United Kingdom and mainly "soccer" in Canada and the United States. People in countries where other codes of football are prevalent (Australia, Ireland, Wales, South Africa and New Zealand) may use either term, although national associations in Australia and New Zealand now primarily use "football" for the formal name.[14]

In Japan it is also called "Soccer" -- or their approximation of it, more like "sock-a"

As tootnkumin explained, Australia also has their Aussie rules football, which probably claims the name "football" colloquially?

So next time your favorite Englishman rubs you for calling it "soccer", just remind him the name comes from England.

Good morning all. 82* at 9:15 expecting the temp. to hit 93* later. Scattered showers late in p.m..
Crappy Myrtle bush needs trimming again. More I trim it the more it needs trimming.
Spoke to CURT. Things getting better.
Prayers for all and best wishes for healing quickly.
Phil

TEE SHIRT ON A NURSE YESTERDAY- YES, I'M A NURSE. NO, I DON'T WANT TO LOOK AT IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back