roundhouse ho rolling stock

1703193878113.png
When having trouble with couplers I always replace with KD "Whisker" couplers, a little easier to work with than the old standby the Kadee #5.

Shown above is the underside of a Roundhouse ballast hopper, not sure if this pic. will work may have to edit. Looks like the couplers dropped in easy.

These wheels and trucks are fine with me but can also be switched out if necessary. I am not so fussy about mine if the cars stay on the track well, these may be original, not sure.

Dave LASM

I like to use Accurail freight trucks with Intermountain metal wheel sets when I can.
Failing that I at least use a truck tuner in the stock trucks. (bogies)
I also use the Kadee whisker couplers or the #5’s.
Some of my favourite cars are Roundhouse cars!
How do you like that truck tuner? Micro-mark emails the deals all the time and I've wanted to pick up the truck tuner and the wheel spreading plyer combo, it's about as cheap to get the combo as to just buy one or the other. but wasn't sure if it was something useful.

First, the NMRA gauge is your friend! Make sure your wheels are in gauge and the couplers are at the proper height. I usually replace the plastic wheel / axle with metal wheels and check the gauge. I put Kadee couplers on everything and check the height. Next make sure the car is the recommended (NMRA) weight and the trucks are fastened correctly. One truck should swivel freely but not tilt. The other truck should be able to tilt a bit.

How do you like that truck tuner? Micro-mark emails the deals all the time and I've wanted to pick up the truck tuner and the wheel spreading plyer combo, it's about as cheap to get the combo as to just buy one or the other. but wasn't sure if it was something useful.
I think the truck tuner is a must for every piece of rolling with the exception of any of the 26 Tangent models I have. The first 5 Tangent cars I used the tuner on were fine and I stopped using the tuner on those cars since.

I ream the holes doing all 4 then do it again just to Make sure all the debris is out. You will be amazed at the amount of plastic that gets cleaned out with IMO any Athearn being amongst the worst offenders.

I find the biggest offender to poor rolling is wheel rub against the under body of the car. Kadee washers are your friend for those issues

I never tried the spreader and have no issue just popping the wheels out. YMMV

I’ve never heard of the spreader but it’s probably something I should look into.
As mentioned the tuner really is a must have tool.
I have one car in particular that rolls so well it actually moves if anything gets bumped.

First, the NMRA gauge is your friend! Make sure your wheels are in gauge and the couplers are at the proper height. I usually replace the plastic wheel / axle with metal wheels and check the gauge. I put Kadee couplers on everything and check the height. Next make sure the car is the recommended (NMRA) weight and the trucks are fastened correctly. One truck should swivel freely but not tilt. The other truck should be able to tilt a bit.
Agreed! Pretty much sums it up. All this, plus a truck tuner, should eliminate any and all truck and coupler problems.

Note for beginners: Plastic wheels are okay for the most part and are cost effective (obviously, if that's what the trucks came with), but metal wheels tend to stay cleaner a whole lot longer.

In my observation, all Roundhouse cars need Kadee gray washers to bring the Kadee #5 or #148 up to the correct height. They're both a drop fit in the original coupler box. Truck tuner is a must whether you change to metal wheels or retain the plastic ones. As Paul posted, metal wheels stay cleaner, but aren't necessary for smooth running if all else is good.

One of the nfirst things I noticed was the trucks seemed to be too close to the box car , I will use your suggestions Willie as even using retailer car would not roll down incline onto track . It was like trucks weren’t even moving . Another thing to buy , kaydee washers , but thanks to all suggestions .
mike

One of the nfirst things I noticed was the trucks seemed to be too close to the box car , I will use your suggestions Willie as even using retailer car would not roll down incline onto track . It was like trucks weren’t even moving . Another thing to buy , kaydee washers , but thanks to all suggestions .
mike
The Kadee Gray washers, #209, are cheap, from Midwest Modeler they are $4.05 for 4 dozen, shipping here to TX is $5.75. They are 0.010" thick. Their red washers, #208 are 0.015" thick and are probably the same price and quantity. I use those on old Athearn Blue Box cars. They're even less expensive from other sources, but I don't know about shipping. Google them and check out several sources or if there is a hobby shop close, save the shipping cost.

Back