Reversing Loops

ClintOHenry

I plan to install a reversing loop and was wondering about the controller. I think Digitrax has one and Power Shield another. Anyone have experience and willing to share what works?

Switchman:

Are you planning a simple loop reverse loop or a wye track? Both are simple to wire. I suggest the Digitrax AR-1 as the unit to use.

Check the posts by NP2626 as they cover reverse loops.

Thanks.

Greg

I've been using an og-ar for years without an issue and just wired one up to my new layout I'm building.

I'll skip all the unasked-for wiring advice and just tell you that I have four Digitrax AR-1's on my layout and they all work flawlessly. Easy to install, easy to adjust.

I just installed a Digitrax AR-1 on a Wye track and it worked great right out of the box (package)!

I plan to install a reversing loop and was wondering about the controller. I think Digitrax has one and Power Shield another. Anyone have experience and willing to share what works?
At one time or another I believe I have been exposed to about every brand of auto reversing unit out there. The really short answer is that they all work. Even the MRC AD520.

Some things you want to consider:
1. if they utilize a mechanical relay (like the AD520 & AR1) or are totally electronic like the DCC Specialties PSX-AR.
2. if they have a sensitivity adjustment control or controls
3. The power capacity (example the AD520 can only deal with 2 amps, while the AR1 is a 6 amp unit.
4. There are boosters with auto reverse units built into them if you should also happen to need a booster. Thinking of the CVP ZoneMaster.

Unfortunately I cannot find any web site where someone has compiled a current and comprehensive list of all the AR options out there.

Back