Reseting a Digitrax DT402 to Factory Settings?

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
Can someone tell me (step by step) how to reset the DT402 to factory settings please. Right now, I can't do a thing with it and am trying to test a couple of new engines I have.

Yes I know, I have an NCE (much better in my opinion) but have lost the little 2 pin connector plug for track power so am waiting for NCE to send me some (5) FREE of charge and with FREE shipping. They also have a phone number!

I don't know what you mean by resetting the DT402, as there is no information stored in it,
everything is stored in the command station, the DT402 is just a Throttle and if you unplug
it, that is how it came from Digitrax. It is the command station that stores everything and
of course you can reset that back to factory settings:
Here is a video by Digitrax on how to do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biZRYd0NTgs

I don't know what you mean by resetting the DT402, as there is no information stored in it,
everything is stored in the command station, the DT402 is just a Throttle and if you unplug
it, that is how it came from Digitrax. It is the command station that stores everything and
of course you can reset that back to factory settings:
Here is a video by Digitrax on how to do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biZRYd0NTgs

The handset (DT402) is stuck on one screen and I can't get back to find out if the "new engine" I have tried (in vain) to program will run. I want to reset (return) the handset (DT402) to the same specs, settings, setup as when it left the factory.

From digitrax instructions: page 51 of your manual.
FactoryD
Select ON and press enter key to force
all options settings to factory defaults

Jerry,

Thanks, I'll give that a try and see what happens.

Jerry,

Nothing, still can't get out of the screen that is being displayed.

Turn the thing off on the handset, waited a minute or two, turned it back on and hit enter and zip, naddah, diddly squat. Still had the same screen I had when I turned the power off.

Pressing exit does nothing, pressing enter does nothing. Pressing select loco brings up that particular screen and there it all ends.

Would be nice if Digitrax had a "Customer Service" or Tech Support" phone number you could call but hey, that'd be too frickin' easy huh.

This is where I can't get out of, no matter what I have done to try to get back to the "Run a Train" screen:

Nt9bdqH.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Jerry,

No, I didn't try that but it appears as though my question may well be mute anyway ... there isn't any power getting from the DCS 100 to the track. The DCS 100 is lit up and doing it's thing, just nothing coming out of it via the track wiring.

Why I am trying to get this thing to work is as a result of my wife receiving a little Model Power DCC 2-6-0 engine which is supposedly dual DC and DCC. Put it on her little DC track and it ran very sluggish stopping completely after about 10 minutes. I just wanted to try it on a DCC system to see if the engine was the problem as the Tender got fairly "warm".

I'm getting the 2 pin connectors for my SB5 from NCE in the mail so will just have to wait for them to arrive and I will use that instead unless you can shed some light on why there is no power from the DCS 100 to the track.

Jerry,

This thing is as is out of the box - DT402 and the DCS 100 with the obvious plugs, connectors etc so it doesn't need the "loconet" for it to be used.

All of the lights appear to be normal; however, the "Config" green light does flash periodically (about every couple of minutes) and the "OFF LINE" led is lit; which probably accounts for the "no power to the track" issue.

Ahh ... okay the obvious question now is - how do I do that? And, what am I looking for on the screen that shows there is track power? It's been a LONG time since I persevered with this thing sorry.

Also, I have disconnected the DCS from the track - will that make a difference to whether or not the DCS displays the track power and/or why the "OFF LINE" led is lit?

Jerry,

Am looking at the digitrax "how to vid" now so will let you know how it goes. Hopefully doing THIS reset will fix the thing enough to let me run the engines. If not, I'll just have to wait for the NE connectors to turn up.

Okay, went through all of that and still have the same problems:

Off line light is "ON"
No power from the DCS to the track.

As shown here:

SyqQtKB.jpg

Ahh, it did what it was supposed to do, as per the video, for the first part of the reset, yes. The second part of it only required the battery to removed for a few minutes.

Jerry,

It looks as though I can - the "OFF LINE" led went out. I think we may have success! Let me reconnect the wiring and see what happens. I'll let you know the outcome ... in anticipation of everything working, thank you for your time and patience, it is appreciated.

Okay, enough is enough - took my brand new AC6000 out, placed it on the track and nothing. The idiotic dts 100 went to off line "AGAIN" and am back at square one.

This garbage is going where it belongs - in the GARBAGE!

I'll wait for my NCE connector to arrive and have something that works.

Jerry,

Something is/was but as said - thanks for your time and sorry for it being wasted. I had nothing but trouble with this setup (empire builder) from day one with it not programming engines, or holding info when and if it programmed one and so on which is why I bought the NCE Power Cab and then added the SB5 Booster to it. If it wern't for "misplacing" those darn little connectors, I would have been running the new engines hours ago.

As said though, thank you for your time and knowledge just wish it hadn't been a waste of your time.

For the record, this digitrax thing was connected to new, unused code 80 track and four DCC engines were tried on it, of which three were new, out of the box this evening.

Jerry,

Think you are right there. The throttle did as it was supposed to, at least during the resetting phase so can only assume that it is okay. No point having a working throttle if what it is attached to that it needed to power the track is faulty.

Ahh ought to mention at this juncture that a "ticket" wont be necessary. Don't really feel like digging it out of the rubbish from beneath coffee grounds, left over dinner and who knows what else. Yeah, when I said it was going in the garbage, I meant it - literally.

My NCE connectors will be here in a couple of days for my SB5 and the new DCC System (MRC 1422 Prodigy Explorer) I bought for my wife's layout will be here by the end of the week. I think I/we can survive another few days without having a system to run our DCC engines :)

Is the Mode switch get to RUN? Hard to see in the photo.

Also, did you try use the 402 to run on the track power?

Greg,

Yes yes and yes. As soon as an engine was placed on the track the DCS 100 went to OFF LINE and I tried four engines.

According to the handset, everything was fine. Reset the handset and the DCS 100 and it all looked good until I placed an engine on the track. As soon as that happened, the DCS went off line and I wasn't able to get it back ON LINE without doing a full reset. End result - it all went in the garbage.

After contacting NCE yesterday afternoon, I received the 2 pin connectors needed for my SB5 this morning. Connected it to my DCC test track and everything ran as it should - no issues what so ever.

Tony:

I was uncertain about your problem so I contacted Digitrax and within 5 minutes of my generating a Service Ticket Digitrax called me back. Here's what Nate from Digitrax said about resetting the throttle....

"You can quickly reset the DT402 as follows:
Plug the DT402 into the command station.
Press the OPT/t key to access the Options menu.
Use the R throttle to scroll down to the FactoryD option.
Use the Y/+ or N/- key to set the value to On.
Press ENTER."

-Nate, Digitrax

Let us know how that worked.

Greg

Okay first things first and I'll be as clear as possible:

1. The DT402 was reset (twice)
2. The DCS 100 was reset (also twice)

Regardless of that - the rubbish continued to go into "OFF LINE" despite showing ON LINE before placing a DCC (and new ones at that) on the track.

I connected my NCE system, placed the same engines on the same test track and had NO problem what so ever. NCE worked without an issue. Digitrax screwed up each and every time.

3. The over priced rubbish is now sitting at the bottom of my garbage can covered in all manner of waste appropriate o a garbage can.

All of this has been stated earlier in this thread, it is nothing new and (to me) seems quite clear. However, to be sure:

The digitrax is gone, thrown out, in the garbage and I will never purchase another digitrax product again - period.

The NCE SB5 was connected and is still connected and ran the test track without a single issue - first time.

All I can add is I am sorry you went to the trouble to find out something that had already been done, and that digitrax gave you their typical "generic solution" that had already been done and failed to resolve the problem, twice.

Too bad about your frustrating experience. It will never be known now what the problem was...a weak connection from the outputs to the rails (those screws back out over time...happened to me once or twice), or the multi-pin plug with the terminal screws comes loose and needs to be pressed back home. Encoder knobs on the throttles eventually wear out, or are defective from the get-go. Wires break inside the insulation and give intermittent performance. Chips inside the throttle pop out of place and need to be reseated.

I have read of all these, often remedied by Randy Rinker over on the MR forums when people express problems with whichever brand of DCC they are using. Even defective cables between the throttle and the DB150 or whichever base unit you have.

Fortunately, my Super Empire Builder has never given me a lick of trouble.

Crandell:

Yes, usually the problems with a DCC system are minor, but cause the system to fail to function as it should.

I mounted a plastic "hand out" holder on my layout's fascia and keep my Digitrax manuals and any other information like resetting the DB150 for handy reference. I could never find the right manual or information when I needed it and now everything is in one place.

End of story.

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:

Back