Remote Switches

kingnothing395

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and new to the hobby.

I have a question about turn outs. What size are they? If I have a basic oval-shaped track, and want to branch off one of the ends to a 2nd table, can I remove an 18" or 22" inch curved piece and replace it with a turnout and a short straight piece? Will it fit right?

Are the left- and right-hand switch tracks made by Life Like, Atlas, AHM, and others pretty much the same?

I have a question about turn outs. What size are they? If I have a basic oval-shaped track, and want to branch off one of the ends to a 2nd table, can I remove an 18" or 22" inch curved piece and replace it with a turnout and a short straight piece? Will it fit right?

Are the left- and right-hand switch tracks made by Life Like, Atlas, AHM, and others pretty much the same?
It may depend on the type of track you are using. If Bachmann EZ track, the curves and straights can interchange with the switch, generally speaking. Could you be more specific as to the type of track you are using and whether it is sectional track?

Dave LASM

I dabbled w/ Atlas track many years ago and remember their turnouts were a 9" straight section with the diverging section being 2/3 of an 18" radius curve (I suspect they have same for 22"). They make a 1/3 section to make a complete section of curved track.

The track with the built in roadbed will only work with that brand of track unless you want to do quite a bit of fiddling and trimming on it.

As Paul pointed out, Atlas switches, Snap Switches only, and many train set switches from the 50's through the 90's at least, can be substituted for a 9" straight section, and the diverging route can be substituted for an 18" radius curve if you add a 1/3 curve to it.
Yes, they all have the same basic geometry. Again only if the Atlas switches are Snap Switches and not Custom Line. Information from your other post would indicate the Snap Switch geometry even if they are AHM or another brand.

I have Atlas snap switches, AHM, Life Like, and "Made in Yugoslavia" (I can't find a brand name on these). These are all virtually identical in their geometry.

I have 9" straight pieces from Atlas, Life Like, AHM, "Austria," "Made in Italy," and "Made in Yugoslavia."

I have 18" radius curved sections from AHM, Life Like, and "Made in Yugoslavia," "Austria," and "Made in Italy."

I agree that the straight portion of a switch is 9". The curved portion plus a 1/3 of an 18" curve is not even close to an 18" curve. It does not match a 22" radius curve or 24".

Attachments

• IMG_1278[1].JPG
    IMG_1278[1].JPG
    738.6 KB · Views: 39
I have Atlas snap switches, AHM, Life Like, and "Made in Yugoslavia" (I can't find a brand name on these). These are all virtually identical in their geometry.

I have 9" straight pieces from Atlas, Life Like, AHM, "Austria," "Made in Italy," and "Made in Yugoslavia."

I have 18" radius curved sections from AHM, Life Like, and "Made in Yugoslavia," "Austria," and "Made in Italy."

I agree that the straight portion of a switch is 9". The curved portion plus a 1/3 of an 18" curve is not even close to an 18" curve. It does not match a 22" radius curve or 24".
The switch in your picture could be a regular #4 turnout, and not a snap switch. Numbered turnouts (#4, #6, #8, etc.) are more prototypical as the curved route has straight portions through the frog, and therefore doesn't match any regular curved sectional track. As a result, you are far better off using flex track when working with numbered switches. Which is generally for more experienced modelers.

You are exactly right. They don't fit but folks have been pretending they do for 50 years. They are the same in that they both curve 30 degrees. And that the track end is the same distance from the departing rail. They are not the same in that it takes the turnout and short a longer distance to get there. Knowing this should help you determine how to fit them in.

This geometry allows one to be able to add 4 more pieces of 18" radius and connect to the other side of the loop smoothly. That makes this "classic" (term used loosely) track plan possible. Note the outside curve on the left is 6 pieces of 18" radius while the inside curve is 4 curve sections, and the two turnouts with the 1/3 section added.
10013.jpg

Better to just plan around this anomaly rather than trying to fit them in exactly. It's not really that hard, just let the curve have two different radius points. Could actually be considered an easement into the curve.

Last edited:
I finally found an Atlas Snap Switch to show what I mean in post #12. This is what it looks like when you line the 18" radius curve up with the diverging route that includes the 1/3 18" piece. Note the short section of straight track at the beginning.
IMG_1315.JPG

Substituting it in for the piece of 18" curve only works at the beginning or end of the loop. If inserted any other place, it makes a greater diameter half circle.

I finally found an Atlas Snap Switch to show what I mean in post #12. This is what it looks like when you line the 18" radius curve up with the diverging route that includes the 1/3 18" piece. Note the short section of straight track at the beginning.
View attachment 180575
Substituting it in for the piece of 18" curve only works at the beginning or end of the loop. If inserted any other place, it makes a greater diameter half circle.
That shows it much better than my zillion word explanation.

Back