Questions about switching area

bklynman01

It's been quite a while since I've posted (original build post here: OG Layout Post ) and I realized that I kept going with the layout and never updated that thread. Well, I've gotten to a point where I want to change things a bit and so I've started down that road. Here is what I started with and where it is today:

Here, I already took down the raised area that was under the TV. There was a small switch back that was destined to have a coal mine up there.
PXL_20220122_160744997.jpg

View from the other side
PXL_20220122_160802688.jpg

The little shunt yard was under the mining hills before.

Here is where I'm going with it...
PXL_20220207_170044621.jpg

Notice the new cutout, more standing room inside the layout.

And here is where I have questions...
PXL_20220207_170019578.jpg

This top area is a blank slate. It's roughly 6'x2.5' with the mainline entering at each end. On the near side (of the latest picture), there are two tracks coming in, main being the outermost track. I'd like to put a small switching area up here. A place where I can distribute cars dropped off from the main, and set up a new train to be picked up. However, I have no experience with switching layouts, and am not sure of the basic requirements to make one effectively.

Here is what I do know:
1. I have a freight station, a coal mine, and some small town buildings. I want to add an engine house and some more town area.
2. The corner with the hill side on it is salvaged from before the teardown. I don't plan to keep it, it's just there to show where a hill side will be. I'm thinking to put that entire corner inside a mountain with the old mine buildings on it. If I can get track up there, great, but I'm okay with making it an abandoned mine as well.
3. I have two switchers - one diesel and one steam - for operations. If I'm lucky enough to get the coal mine back in, the steamer will pull one or two hoppers down at a time.

SOOO... I know that my question only creates more questions. What are those questions? What should I consider? I plan to pin down the tracks on the board and test out the plan before committing, so there really couldn't be a bad idea to start out.

Thanks for reading all the way through this! If I can

I would just Google shelf switching layout, get a few ideas, and go from there, some good plans out there that would suit your purpose…

HO SCALE: Lockport Industrial (in 4 square feet)

Give that one a peek, small enough for your area, but with possibility to add on if you have the room

HO SCALE: Lockport Industrial (in 4 square feet)

Give that one a peek, small enough for your area, but with possibility to add on if you have the room
Thank you! I like this one, and it let's me use the brewery that I had assumed wouldn't be used. Maybe I'll cut it in half instead and put it up against the back drop. Here's my initial thought...
1644270618123.png

If there's space, I can put a couple of town buildings between the brewery and the coal mine on the hillside.

OOOOO... you got me thinking. Gonna have to play around with the idea after work today 😁

Okay, here's what I thought up...

1644286475410.png

I'll kit-bash the brewery building (on the left) to give more dimension and depth. The freight house on the left I might keep, we'll see. Bottom right will be engine shed/maintenance area. The track out to the coal mine will be left for later. I'd like to make that happen, but it's a lower priority at this point.

On the left, I wanted an arrival/departure track - a place that allows the main to keep running while I "play." The A/D and the "To farm siding" tracks connect first and then go to the farm and main (not pictured). I'm not sure if it'll work, will have to tack down some tracks and try it out to know for sure.

Any comments? Any ideas? All are welcome.

Thanks!

I think it’s a great start point, now just play around with different set ups, see what you come up with, the fun part 😉 Though I do see the words “steep grade” and “tight radius” grouped together, a combination I hear can be a problem…

can I ask who made the brew and this freight building in this picture please ?
Thank BigG. I built those models before the kids were born and it shows! 😅 I actually won't mind doing some work to them since I can see where they can be improved. I've learned quite a bit since opening those boxes.

Though I do see the words “steep grade” and “tight radius” grouped together, a combination I hear can be a problem…
I had something similar on a previous layout. The steep tight curves were the single track up to the coal mine where I would take one or two cars down at a time to be staged for the mainline. Likewise, cars would be returned and taken back up the hill one or two at a time. It was repetitive, but took time. Time which I enjoyed to silence the thoughts over a glass of whiskey.

So I was finally able to spend some time getting the main laid out. After spending a couple of hours working on resolving all the derailment issues, I started checking all the other joints just to be thorough and noticed that I didn't even connect the first section of track I put down! With no problems for hours of running, I contemplated just leaving it... But alas, I will go back and take care of it.
PXL_20220211_034101472.jpg

I also need to go back and take care of the track where my 7-year old was responsible. He did a great job getting it all done, just have to make it look nice now.
PXL_20220211_034134132.jpg

And finally, the area which this thread is dedicated, the switching area.
PXL_20220211_034041592.jpg

The main is the outermost track, the a/d track is the next one in, and the unconnected switch in bottom right of the picture is access to the switching area. The models and switches are laid out in their rough spots. Next step will be to tack those down and try out some operations.

I'm also rethinking the backdrop. The a/d track connects back to the main between the two buildings, and I'm somewhat concerned about having that hidden. Will have to do some thinking about that... no backdrop would mean a change to the building layout, backdrop would mean a change to how operations might work. There's a lot of work that needs to be done before that would go in anyway, so I'll just put off that decision for future me 🤪
PXL_20220211_034028347.jpg

edit: wrong picture originally

I may copy your plan...but add a few feet to the left. I would use Code 70 rail and connect it to my layout through a wall (backdrop shown).

Looks good.

1644602372396.png

I started checking all the other joints just to be thorough and noticed that I didn't even connect the first section of track I put down! With no problems for hours of running, I contemplated just leaving it... But alas, I will go back and take care of it.
Do you mean the straight track from the left into the turnout? One can already see the wear on the end of the rail from wheels hitting it. I am amazed there has been no problem there.
railwear.jpg

Another thing I see is that the brown tied turnout appears to be a Peco short Insulfrog turnout. Those have a departure angle of 12.5 degrees. It appears the turnout with the black ties is a Snap Switch. Those have a much steeper departure angle. So if this crossover is on parallel tracks that is making a kink there between the two of them. As it is working I wouldn't worry about it too much. Looks like the 3.25 degree kink is being distributed between the two with slightly bent rails. I also say "appears" because photo graphs can have distortion in them and if that is the case here this whole blather is a moot point. :)
degrees.jpg

Last edited:
One can already see the wear on the end of the rail from wheels hitting it.
Ha, that's the spot I was referring to! Although, this has only been like this for a few hours worth of running, I'm not so sure that wear is from this particular issue. It's not virgin track either, and I couldn't tell you what I had done in the past to make it look like that. I make no attempt to explain previous me's actions!

Looks like the 3.25 degree kink is being distributed between the two with slightly bent rails.
I'll admit, I had no idea what the actual numbers were, but I do know there is a slight discrepancy there. It hasn't caused any issues, so I'm not terribly worried about it. If I'm being honest, this isn't the worst mismatch of rails on the layout. I am, however, getting better with every small modification I'm making. Things like this help me look forward to building a better layout when the kids are older and my time is more available.

I tacked down some more track and put some stock on it along with the two switching engines to see the clearances and to try and get a feel for what it will look like.
PXL_20220212_184458935.jpg

PXL_20220212_184518913.jpg

The original plan has a single slip switch on the middle rail. In the pictures, I instead put down one left and one right turnout in succession. The piece of straight track in there is to show where the track would be if there were a slip. I do like it this much better, with the gap between the two sidings. However, I looked into the slip switches and it looks like the cheapest ones are in $70 range... so I think I'll stick with the two turnouts already in inventory.

Next step is to turn on the DCC system and try out some of the operations. I'm using a Raspberry Pi and an Arduino to run JMRI, and those controllers have been turned off for quite some time. It should just turn on and go, but I always expect some kind of trouble just to not get my hopes up - "hope for the best, expect the worst" kind of situation.

I make no attempt to explain previous me's actions!
Ha! I like that saying. Don't mind if I start using it do you?

I am, however, getting better with every small modification I'm making. Things like this help me look forward to building a better layout when the kids are older and my time is more available.
Always incremental improvement. Some people are so worried about 'doing it right' it never gets started, stuck in "research limbo," or ceases to be fun. I wish I had pictures of some of my early attempts at things. I am pretty certain things I did way back then are cringe worthy now.

Last edited:

Back