question on wheels size........

Greg from Mi.

Greg from Mi.
I have a few rail cars that still have plastic wheels. How do I know if I need 33" or 36" wheels? Also if I had 33" wheels and put on 36" would it change the cuplar heigth. enough that I would have to adjust them?
Thanks
Greg

Some 36" wheels will not clear coupler pockets when turning, hit the bottom of cars or rub the bottom & as far as the coupler heighths you might have to go to an upper or lower shelf coupler for alignments. They definitely won't work on well cars or spine cars because most of these cars need 28" wheels.
I've just started changing a lot more of my plastic wheels over to 33" Intermountain NS wheels. What a difference!!!:D

I have a few rail cars that still have plastic wheels. How do I know if I need 33" or 36" wheels?
That would depend on the type and age of the car. If the plastic ones are measured it might be a good indication.
Also if I had 33" wheels and put on 36" would it change the cuplar heigth. enough that I would have to adjust them?
Well it would raise the height of the coupler by 1.5 scale inches (or 1.5/87 of a real inch). Is that sufficient to need adjusting? I don't know I would have to put it on the Kadee or NMRA coupler height gauge to tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the cargo the car can carry is 100 tons, (look at the loaded weight), then the car probably needs 36" wheels. Under 100 tons loaded, 33". Cars like most modern hoppers, grain cars, modern longer tankers, and such would use 36". Specialty cars like, Maxi-Carriers, Well cars, Spine cars, can use any wheel from 28"-36".

Look at the trucks. Are they roller bearing trucks? If not, 33. If they are roller bearing trucks, look at the weights stenciled on the side of the car.

For cars with 2 trucks, take the LT WT, and the LD LMT and add them together.

If the number is...

Under 220,000 - 33" wheels
Under 286,000 - 36" wheels
Under 315,000 - 38" wheels
Above 315,000 - You'd have to check for coupler height to determine as it would most likely ride on more than 2 trucks

There are exceptions. For example, most 50' box cars regardless of weight/load limit will use 33" wheels. Bi-level autoracks will use 33" wheels while tri-level autoracks will use 28" wheels despite being heavier for vertical clearance purposes. Front Runner flat cars will use 28" wheels due to the light weight of the car.

Most manufacturers will tool their cars to be dimensionally correct from the bolster up. Below the bolster is another story because HO scale trucks are not mounted the same way as real ones, and the height of the bar (not a technical term) that the bolster sits on, relative to the sideframes, is variable on the prototype. So, if the height is too low, make sure you have the right size wheels. If you are sure that you have the right size wheels, or if the right size wheels won't fit because it will catch on the underbody, and the height is still too low, shim the car up. As I've said before, the height from the bolster to the roof of the car is a set measurement if the manufacturer tooled them to the true-to-scale dimensions. If you use an offset coupler to raise a coupler on that car, the car will ride too low, and won't look very good next to other cars that have the correct height.

I've only had to use the overset (height lowering) head coupler once. It was on an Atlas Trainman bulkhead flat. I have two; one from the first run, and one from the second run. The one from the second run rides at the correct height, but the couplers are too high. To this day, I still can't figure out what is causing it.

Pay real attention to the axle length from point to point when you change out the wheelsets as well. There's a lot of variation out there . Reboxx has most lengths and descriptions of what axle goes with what manufacturer.

You are going to love metal wheels. I went the step further and simply changed out the trucks as well and that also makes a huge difference.

Back