Quality H O Steam Locomotive?

Nuttman

Fellows,
From a newbie who just joined, a lover of steam trains, and grandfather.
I am in my 50's now. Had Lionel trains when I was a boy. Have loved the old steam trains best, but all trains all my life.
I am going to jump in and start an H O scale project.
I am looking for a steam locomotive from late 1800's to first half 1900's.
H O scale, DC or DC ready, would consider DCC. I need help with which manufacturer. I know that some of the name brands are made in China, the Spectrum line for one. Are there any makers who have a quality American steam locomotive in this era not made in China. If not which one would you more knowledgeable fellows recommend made there. I hate buying Chinese goods.
I am not rich, but would like to invest in a very good quality setup that will last me and that I can build on. Many thanks for the help and advice.

The only "mainstream" American-made steam engines that I know of are Bowser. These are fairly involved kits but they don't require any specialized tools or knowledge. Just patience, a willingness to learn, and a desire to enjoy the building process. When you finish, you'll have a locomotive that will outlast you!

I just completed my first Bowser kit - the B6 0-6-0. It's a fine runner and it went together well.

Most of their offerings are of PRR prototypes, but there are a few others available. You can check them out here: http://bowser-trains.com/holocos/holocos.htm

Ready-to-run Bowsers occasionally appear. The other option is to try and track down an old Mantua or MDC/Roundhouse kit. I've never tried one of those but I hear they aren't quite as a nice as the Bowsers.

As for the China-route, nearly anything from the well-known companies like Bachmann Spectrum, Athearn, Broadway Limited/Precision Craft, Proto2000 and even IHC will be ok. Avoid the standard line Bachmann, LifeLike, Model Power (although their Mantua Classics line is probably ok), and any old Tyco train set engine!

By far, the best quality steam engines today are made in China so don't just arbitrarily rule them out. Bachmann Spectrum steam engines are available with DCC installed for less than $120. They are about the best reasonably priced steam engines around. Athearn is producing steam engines of about the same quality as Bachmann. Broadway Limited has some really nice steamers but the price is more than double the less expensive engines. Most of that money goes into enhanced detailing. They run a little better than the Bachmann and Athearn models but not enough to justify the cost difference.

As JWP said, Bowser is about when it comes to made in the USA steam engines. They are fun to build but do take some time and patience. The end result is a pretty good running locomotive but the level of detail is nowhere near as good as any of the RTR models available today unless you add a lot of extra detail parts. Mantua kits are hard to build and the end result doesn't look good at all compared to models available today.

What type of steamer will affect your price, too.
You did not mention a railroad you want to model or a geographic area.
I have a DCC Spectrum light-mountain Southern engine that runs and SOUNDS wonderful. But it is less expensive than the Spectrum N&W J-611 that I am saving my pennies for. Larger articulated steamers like a UP bigboy will be even more.
Try to focus a little more and select engines for your era and locale that are both expensive and less expensive. A cheap engine becomes expensive when it won't run.;)
Mikey

For early to mid 1900s style locomotives I would recommend looking at the Bachmann Spectrum 4-4-0...4-6-0...and 2-8-0 locomotives.
These are available in DC-DCC with or without sound and are exellent quality models and can found at Micromark at a very reasonable price.
I have one of Bachmanns 2-10-0 russian decapods that while a bit lightfooted is also a exellent model locomotive.The protype was originally ordered by the Russian gov. but because of the revolution never delivered and so they were purchased by several U.S railroads.

I feel that, while you are open-minded and willing to accept guidance and advice, you have made it difficult on both parties to provide you with decent help. I say this because you have not considered which region/rairoad/product movement, and your time span is too broad. You really owe it to yourself to do some historical reading and then narrowing down your efforts (and purchases) to a focused end-point. It will really cut down on both bucks wasted and disappointment after you get near the point where you are running trains. By constraining yourself almost brutally, you will find yourself learning more specifics and therefore enjoying your modeling and playing that much more. If you spread around into generalities you are going to spend a lot more time and money circling around the drain. I don't know if that makes any sense.

You would serve yourself well by seeking the Pairie 2-6-2, Atlantic 4-4-2, Santa Fe 2-10-2, and mostly the Consolidation 2-8-0 and Mikado 2-8-2 configurations in steam locomotives that would have been used between, say, 1895 and 1925. But different roads had different requirements, with different biases in their directors who would have written the checks. You might find yourself lusting after a nice 2-10-2, but find subsequently that your preferred railroad never even trialed one! D'OH! Now what? So, I suggest you do some more homework now, set up some hard facts with which you can deal, and then begin your acquisitions with some confidence that you will have a reasonably accurate railroad for the day.

The advice you have been given about steam engines is pretty much spot on. Bachmann Spectrum line has some excellent engines with well-deserved reputations. The best, by a hefty margin, is their rather tiny 2-8-0, but those engines are still in use today on excursion railroads because they were a solid design. It would be a toss-up for absolute numbers across the continent over time between the Mikado and the Consolidation. They were both heavily used for decades. Broadway Limited makes a light and heavy Mike, but I don't know about availability. Maybe ebay. Trix also made a very nice Mike, all metal, and they were blown out at Tony's Train Exchange. I think they may be finished. I think the nicest 2-10-2 would have to be Walthers Proto 2000 Heritage series, but the wad of cash it takes to pry one loose would choke a rhinoceros.

I hope you aren't annoyed with my tome. But I like to give back at times, and I feel this might be an occasion where I can share some of my experience.

MicroMark has some really excellent deals on Bachman Spectrum steamers right now. A 2-8-0 for $145.56, Russian Decapod for $159.95, and the Baldwin 4-6-0 for $168.50, all with DCC and sound. I think I paid right at $120 for my 2-8-0 with just DCC at Christmas. They've also got a Bachmann SD-45 for $38.50 with DCC. I didn't realize MicroMark sold anything but tools until I got their current catalog. They have some really good deals on locomotives and freight cars as well as good selection of On30 equipment. I know where part of my "economic stimulus" check is going. :)

Selector, and friends.

No sir, I do not take offense at any of the comments or suggestions made here. I appreciate greatly all the advice you all have given. I do see your point Selector, and it is well taken. I am sadly lacking in Railroad history and although I know some about different trains in different areas of the country, I would be at a loss to build a layout of a particular town, geographical area, or exact time period. I just wanted to get started with a good steam loco with five or so rolling cars and caboose, set up some good track layout on a piece or two of plywood and go from there. I have a great deal of studying to do before I get into details of a specific railroad and era, but I do appreciate the advice and will keep it in mind when I start that phase.
I have decided on a Spectrum, but have three to choose from. Many thanks, and I will post when I get setup started.

Back