Putting a little eye shadow on a boxcar

PNKFLOYD

Mikey
After building a simple boxcar kit, I wanted to lightly weather it. I had found a small eye shadow kit at a Dollar store and found the colors ran from an off white through several shades of tan and brown. I wondered how close the results would be to using weathering chalks. For the namesake price of the store, I could afford to experiment . Please note my custom rack for holding the car.
IMG_0001 (1).JPG

For the brown and yellow car, this this a good contrast of colors.
IMG_0002 (1).JPG

I started around the dark brown top edge with the white color as a contrast to the roof. The eye shadow sticks a little better than the chalks I have used elsewhere, BUT they rub off easily like chalk. Handle with care.
IMG_0004.JPG

I used a mid-color rusty brown to highlight the hinges, ladders and other protrusions on the side of the car.
IMG_0006.JPG

Along the bottom and on the trucks, a combination of light tan and white highlighted the dark parts of the car.
IMG_0007.JPG

i used medium and darker brown colors to streak the sides and signage. The panels and ladders on the ends got a lighter tan color to show up as dirty weathering. After spraying with a clear coat, I applied more color to darken the side streaking. As with chalks, a clear coat lightens the weathering applied. I will use this technique again.

Mikey - Looking good. I have pondered using eye shadow before, but never had the guts to abscond with the wife's stash! I don't go into those aisles in any stores either...don't even know where they are!

Mikey. I thought of eye shadow. Just looking at my wife’s limited amount they seem a bit creamer then the Pan Pastels I use but not by much.

The pictures look good.

The first egg crate I tried was the foam type you are using. I have found the heavy cardboard type ones work best for me. I have been using them about 25 years.

TomO
A9036FE9-855C-4ABA-A510-BAB804DE4CF9.jpeg

Mikey - Looking good. I have pondered using eye shadow before, but never had the guts to abscond with the wife's stash! I don't go into those aisles in any stores either...don't even know where they are!
Willie- I was not brave enough to use my wife's cosmetics either.
At the Dollar store, they were cheap enough I could throw them away if it didn't work out so I bought my own.
Yes, I only use them on the trains!

Hi Mikey.
Naturally, I don't have any experience with women's make-up. I'm just wondering if the eye shadow will dry to a more durable, harder finish if you chose not to clearcoat?

Hitting the make-up aisle seems like a good idea. There's probably every colour under the sun in some sort of chemical concoction.

I considered the makeup air brush they advertise on a couple of our independent tv stations. They are inexpensive and relatively fool proof, however that is a very low priority purchase.

On the other hand, a discarded powder brush from the wife's belongings makes an excellent cleaning, dusting brush!

Dave

Hi Mikey.
Naturally, I don't have any experience with women's make-up. I'm just wondering if the eye shadow will dry to a more durable, harder finish if you chose not to clearcoat?

Hitting the make-up aisle seems like a good idea. There's probably every colour under the sun in some sort of chemical concoction.

I cannot really tell if drying stable might be true.
I followed my normal practice using chalks and sprayed a clear coat immediately after weathering to avoid smearing the weathered car.
Next time, I'll let it dry a couple days to see how handling resistant the eye shadow becomes. It might also depend on the brand of the cosmetics.

When I looked at the colors originally, I had trouble finding muted colors.

Back