Progress update - so far!

MercerMike

Okay, we are finally getting things together, made a track plan for 2 engines to run on, got my layout material and am ready to assemble benchwork and get this going...Before I forget, Thank you to all for the help....Got some track and materials to get going with. My next question is about rolling stock, I see that it is made Trainworx, Arnold, Bachmann, Con-cor, Kato, Atlas, Athearn, Model Power and a host of others....Knowing nothing about them, is any one better than the rest? Anyone to stay away from? Who are the better ones and are there any who are just trouble? Would really like opinions on rolling stock and engines as I am going to start getting some cars and engines soon. Any other "tips" or help will also be appreciated..Thanks.

Atlas, Athearn & Kato are the big ones as far as I know, but there's plenty of others around in addition to what you listed. I'd recommend Fifer Hobby Supply as a valuable resource for the N modeller. They're a smaller-scale operation (pardon the pun) so the customer service is fantastic, and I've purchased from them a number of times myself and am yet to be disappointed! Trains Emporium has a decent range, but their ordering system is informal (no cart system) and their customer service isn't on the same level as FHS.

The only tip I can think of is something that my LHS told me - if you see something you want, buy it, because if you don't someone else will. On pretty much all websites you'll see "call us to preorder", deadline dates, etc., and this is because a lot of items are made strictly to predetermined demand. Many websites will only order as much stock as they need to fill orders without any extra. On that note, the deadline for Kato's new Gunderson MAXI-I TTX well cars is rapidly approaching. They look to be pretty great, I have one of each pack ordered. :D

I model HO so I can't say for sure but Bachmann and companies like it make "cheaper" rolling stock that runs fine but has less detail. It will take time and money to make it look good. This is what I do, buy cheap rolling stock and improve it. I know though that atlas, athearn, and several of the other big name companies sell kits that if you are good at putting stuff together generally are nicer kits. That is just my opinion, though. :D

Most of my cars are Micro Trains, and Atlas. The few Athearn cars I have are okay. I also like the Bowser cars I have.

Glenn

On that note, the deadline for Kato's new Gunderson MAXI-I TTX well cars is rapidly approaching. They look to be pretty great, I have one of each pack ordered. :D
Pete, I am curious because I see this alot with train models......what is the difference between the three different package model numbers? Is it just different runs or batches with ascending car numbers? Wondering why they make so many different models....and I agree that variety and lots of choices is great.....if maybe slightly confusing sometimes. :)

I will demonstrate with pictures!

F45-1.jpg

Three EMD F45 locos - two originally ordered as GN pre-merger but delivered as BN and one ordered post-merger by BN themselves. They're all from the same run, but the headlamps on #6633 are mounted on the nose instead of the roof because that's the one that BN ordered themselves and they obviously had different preferences to GN. Differences between railroads other than the livery could include things like that, or the option to add dynamic braking, inclusion of ditch lights, etc..

As for the well cars, they just have different road numbers in each pack. Having duplicate road numbers in a single train is not very prototypical. :)

I model HO and N scales. For n scale tho, I like atlas a lot and Athearns new stuff. Atlas is cheaper and works well, engines and cars alike. I'm not huge Bachman fan due to the lack of detail I've seen in the past. It really comes down to money and personal preference. BLMA has some new cars out that are top notch but a bit pricey for me. Where as atlas has nice, less detailed cars, for half the price. It's a matter of cost and what you want. More detail or better quality typically means more money

---
- Sent from my phone

Back