Programming track

Can a "programming track" just be a piece of flex track nailed to a board?

Why can't I use the "main line" if I remove everything else?

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Best practice is to use the programming track. No need to remove the locos from the main.

Yes, just use a piece of flex track, as a stand alone track.

Yeah, it can be a stand alone piece of track. You can use an isolated part of your running track but you have to be absolutely sure it doesn't have any contact with the powered track.
On my previous layout I had a siding that was right near my work desk. I used a rotary switch to select the source going to the track. Leave an empty slot between the powered points. A toggle switch may provide a momentary contact between the two sources of power.

I use a chunk of track and a thing called a 628-2 Rix Rail-It not sure if thats what mines called but this is closest thing I could find to describe it, anyway I use the program track then use the tool to slide the engine back on the mainline. I did have a program track built into a deadend spur on my old layout and a toggle switch , heres a couple ideas .
3-Way-Prgm-Sw.jpgpgmtrk5sq6.gif

Attachments

• mrr-e0105_a3.gif
    mrr-e0105_a3.gif
    32.5 KB · Views: 179
My programming track is a siding on my layout. I have a DPDT toggle switch that I can turn the syrup from programming to main (or off). This way I can program a loco, hit the toggle and drive it onto the main.

Can a "programming track" just be a piece of flex track nailed to a board?

Why can't I use the "main line" if I remove everything else?
Yes, I use a 3' piece of Bachmann EZ track connected to the unit with alligator clips. I throw it onto the table when I need to program something.
You can just use the main, but there are some things that are easier on a program track.

Lynn -

Did you create the two diagrams "Wiring your programming track" and the "Attached Thumbnails"? If so, what did you use?

I just used a dpdt toggle as in the second diagram , not sure how I got that third diagram in there or what exactly its for.Basicly dpdt and some plastic rail joiners will work.

Sorry I wasn't clear. Not referring to implementing a programming track. I was wondering if you created the illustrations. If you did, what software/tool did you use.

Sorry misunderstood, no I didn't create them but I'm sure it's not to hard to find software to make them. Try Googling schematic software and check the pics then the links.

Back