Powering components

Chemdawg

I have been doing alot of reading on using a pc power supply to power components on your layouts. I have one supply that I have already modified and painted, and works phenominal at a constant 12.08 volts.

My plan is to connect the two terminals I have sticking out the side one to a Positive bus bar, and The other to a Negative bus bar.

The components I need to power are all digitrax. I have two DS64's, two PM42's and a PR3. So that is 5 devices that all require 12 to 14 volts. Will this one supply be able to power all 5? And will the 5 devices work ok being powered off this one supply?

You have to add the current draw of each one together and subtract that from what the supply will push out. Im using a .5 amp wall wart that came with a dirt devil cordless upright.

There is probably a label on the PC power supply that lists its specifications. Check the label for the maximum available current at 12V. It's probably several amps at least.

Look up the current requirements of the devices you will be connecting to this power supply. For example, per the instruction manual, a DS64 needs 300 mA (milliamps). Add up the current requirements for all 5 devices.

If the total current is less than the 12V current rating of the power supply, you can use the PC power supply.

If the total current requirement is greater than the 12V current rating of the power supply, the power supply will not do the job.

Without looking up the specs for all of your Digitrax components, I'll bet the PC power supply will easily power them all.

- Jeff

While you can power these components off of the main bus, I prefer to provide the PM-42 with a separate power supply. It only needs something like 500-750 mA to power the unit, I just wire in a wall wart of 1 A to power it.

What is a wall wart?

Its one of those small mini transformers, that you just plug into the wall. With all the "guts" of it encased in generally black plastic. They can supply power to things like wireless phone bases, electric kitchen utensils, small cd players etc, etc.

They're called wall warts, because they look like a wart sitting, in the outlet, on the wall!;)

Wall wart:
wallwart.png

I've accumulated at least a dozen of these over the years. When you don't need a high quality regulated power supply for a small project, these can work well for powering it. Be sure the wall wart can provide the correct voltage and sufficient current by checking the specs on the case.

- Jeff

There is probably a label on the PC power supply that lists its specifications. Check the label for the maximum available current at 12V. It's probably several amps at least.

Look up the current requirements of the devices you will be connecting to this power supply. For example, per the instruction manual, a DS64 needs 300 mA (milliamps). Add up the current requirements for all 5 devices.

If the total current is less than the 12V current rating of the power supply, you can use the PC power supply.

If the total current requirement is greater than the 12V current rating of the power supply, the power supply will not do the job.

Without looking up the specs for all of your Digitrax components, I'll bet the PC power supply will easily power them all.

- Jeff
I'd agree with that 110% as PCs are low voltage, high amperage systems. On mine while running Prime95 on all threads (program that throws complex mathematical equations at your CPU, overclockers use it to test stability under full CPU load), the motherboard is showing 65A running through it and the power supply can no doubt do more than that if necessary.

I have a handful of old Dell laptop supplies that are rated 3.34 amps @ 19.5 volts. That is what I will be using to drive my DC powered layout :) If you want one I have about three extras!!!

Back