Postal Service Slow Down

I have a picture of a 53' USPS mail trailer sitting all by its self in nowhere Montana right around christmas. Its a wonder somebody didnt hook up and haul it off or break into it. Probably full of ballots.

First, let me start by saying, don't shoot the messenger...lol but I work for a USPS contractor, and this year was like no other for them... Kind of a perfect storm... First, covid, which resulted in many employees getting sick and being off... Then the election, with ballots everywhere, then the Christmas rush. With covid it seemed like everyone and their brother went online this year to buy stuff... Volume was up 86% over last year. They are starting to get caught up at last, except for your larger hubs like Jersey, Atlanta, Cleveland...

Oh, and it didn't help when they changed the whole transportation logistics system in September (to make it more efficient) either... That blew up on them too...

You will get your stuff you ordered...someday...
And of course we had a few political figures screwing around with the system,..unbelievable folks that should be in JAIL !!

I got a response from the post office today. Basically telling me, "You'll get it when ya get it". Claiming a shortage of workers because of COVID, an excessive load of mail along with the elections. Hmmm, I guess the election isn't over yet? and Christmas may be just a few weeks away. Heck, who knows in these days now. We make things up as we go along to make ourselves look good.
The day before Christmas, I got a post card from a political party reminding me to vote in the upcoming elections. Too bad the elections were held nearly two months before I got the post card.

10 days overdue.
I'm hearing rumors of the Post Master General has cut all overtime.
Seems that a lot of workers would just go hide somewhere for a few hours then work into the overtime hours for the extra pay. Don't know if that's true or not.

I am shipping a medium-sized package by USPS, to be picked up by my letter carrier on my front porch. I am mailing it Priority, which should be 2-3 day. I have advised my customer to expect it...any time this year! :rolleyes: Or maybe next! o_O

While this is UPS and not USPS, I once had an item ship from Sacramento, Ca and go to Reno, NV from whence it went to Salt Lake City, UT. Salt Lake City is on I-80, which runs right through Lincoln, NE where I live. Simple, right? Nope. Next it went to Denver,CO then to Kansas. After that it went to Dallas, TX and from there up to St. Louis, MO. After it sat in Saint Louis for a week it went to Indianapolis, IN and then to Chicago, IL. From Chicago it went to Omaha, and finally down to Lincoln. So UPS may not be much better than USPS.

Hang on Ken... I have a package waiting at the post office, I’ll see if that’s it! 🤪
Well geez!
I went down to the PO to get the package and guess what... it wasn’t for you or me!!
Turns out it was one digit out from my box number so I gave it back. Didn’t look train related anyway.

Last edited:
12 days overdue. Post office says they'll deliver it when they find it.
I'll file a lost package claim this Wednesday.
I wonder were these actually end up? Do they just dissipate into thin air? Does someone recognize the sending address and take it to sell on ebay? Do they sit in the bottom of a bin somewhere that nobody notices because they just don't care while they carry on a conversation on their cell phone?

12 days overdue. Post office says they'll deliver it when they find it.
I'll file a lost package claim this Wednesday.
I wonder were these actually end up? Do they just dissipate into thin air? Does someone recognize the sending address and take it to sell on ebay? Do they sit in the bottom of a bin somewhere that nobody notices because they just don't care while they carry on a conversation on their cell phone?
A couple of years ago, I bought a track set to assemble a layout kit. The seller shipped via usps. It got to the hub in the next city, and vanished. After a month of waiting, the seller re-shipped, which I got.
Six months later, the original set showed up. I emailed the seller to see if they wanted it back. They said yes, so I returned it via usps. It left my local post office and was never seen again.

KEN - Very good questions! Back in the "piston a/c" days we had to place our suitcases by the rear cargo hole where they were loaded last and taken off first at each stop. Sometimes, if the loaders did not like the captain or another crew member, they just might place a certain suitcase on a flight to Cairo, New Deli, or whoever they may conjure up!

TERRY - I an convinced that someone at that P.O just does not like you, LOL.

Back