Possible 4'x 8' Track Plan

nscaler7

This is what I am going to start building.....I think this will be fun to operate and will allow me to run the trains. I never thought I would want to do much switching but, as I was planning, the idea of exchanging the loaded freight cars at the industries for empties and taking them back to a small yard had an appeal. It seemed like it would keep things interesting. I am posting a couple of pictures.

Attachments

• Switching Layout 1.jpg
    Switching Layout 1.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Switching Layout.jpg
    Switching Layout.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I am still playing arouI nd with SCARM. I came up with what I think would be a fun track plan. It gives the opportunity to run a train on the main line but, it also gives me a "branch line" to do some switching. I am posting a couple of pictures....the green track is the branch line that will service local industries while the black track is the main line. I know this quite a bit different than the 2 other pictures I posted but, this does seem a lot cleaner and more manageable....

Last edited:
I am still playing around with SCARM. I came up with what I think would be a fun track plan. It gives the opportunity to run a train on the main line but, it also gives me a "branch line" to do some switching. I am posting a couple of pictures....the green track is the branch line that will service local industries while the black track is the main line. I know this quite a bit different than the 2 other pictures I posted but, this does seem a lot cleaner and more manageable....View attachment 186075
Much better than the prior first try. Less track that is parallel to the edges of the layout space.

Do you really want the branch to be a loop? More interesting, and realistic, if the train works out to the end, reverses, and comes back.

Thanks for commenting....the only reason I considered looping the branch line was to give me a "run around"....but, it would be the long way around....not very realistic. I have to agree with you on the realism of working out to the end, reversing, and then coming back.......it is an easy fix. Thanks for the suggestion.

Attachments

• Switching Layout 1.jpg
    Switching Layout 1.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Switching Layout.jpg
    Switching Layout.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 14

Back