Organized train room from video ashes

MikeOwnby

I hate to see any business go OUT of business, but in spite of the "picking over a corpse" feeling I got buying this stuff, it has done wonders for my train room.

I'm not sure if Hastings books & video was a national or regional thing, but that company went out of business, and they were selling off all the fixtures and everything. My previous shelving had been more designed for a standard workshop, and having shelving that was anywhere from 1-2 feet apart vertically was really pretty inefficient for N-scale trains that were mere inches high even when stacked six high.

So yeah, I bought out some of their shelving, and good lord let me tellya...that stuff is not only built to withstand abuse, it's built to give you hernias. H.E.A.V.Y. I had to disassemble and carry all of it myself out of the store and onto my trailer and into my train room and...ugh. Just about killed me. But considering that the stuff I got would have cost me well into four figures new, I figured $200 and a hernia wasn't a bad tradeoff.

I had to break down the "island" display that I bought and mount it on the wall instead, but look at it! It's freaking perfect! And for the first time in MY model railroading history, I do actually have a very neat and tidy place for everything to go. Actually keeping everything in its place may be a different story, but...

If you see something like this going out of business, it may be worth your while to check it out. Because seriously...I got ALL this shelving (and a lot more that I still haven't figured out what to do with) for the cost of two locomotives. I'm happy.

IMG_1553.jpg
IMG_1554.jpg

Back