opinions on Walthers cornerstone modulars

Anyone pick any of these up?

whats our opinion on them, they seem like a great idea, but after looking at some photos of some put together it seems without a bit of work and some major weathering they look kinda cheapish.

i was thinking of picking a bunch up but wanted to here some opinions first

thanks Mike

Hey Mike, i personally think there alright. Some of the pieces dont fit together all that well, and you do get some pretty bad seams in some places, but all in all i think there decent....

Just spoke with Walthers today in fact, they will NOT be discontinuing this Modular Series, at least not for the time being, i was told they just ordered a re-supply for the kits they were getting low on, and this includes the corner module kits.....

My "town" isn't very big, but I did use a lot of Cornerstone kits. The layout is a rural setting with some smaller industries trackside. The largest area, besides the yard, is the grain elevators. I have one smaller one, and one HUGE one.

As far as the "rough" seams, I have found that some careful sanding during assembly cures most ills there.

I just wish that structures weren't so expensive. I don't mind paying a bit for a good puliing, well detailed engine. But some of the structures and the pricing sometimes astounds me. Maybe it's just me.

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like the modulars and I'm glad to hear they aren't being discontinued. They can be a little rough at the seams and a little confusing when you first put them together but it's actually logical once you get some experience. Like all structures, they look a lot better with some extra details and some weathering. The really nice thing about them is that it's easy to kitbash them into almost any shape you need and the result is a good generic representation of industrial buildings that can be at home on layouts from the early 1900's until today.

I also forgot to mention the "background" buildings. That area of a layout used to be pretty tough to model. Most of you may not remember that far back, but I do. Using the facades really make modeling a background easy these days.

Bob

I use a lot of the modulars on the layout, easiest way to make the buildings fit the track plan.
It's also a great way to make background flats.
Here's a couple that I never finished from the previous layout: Vandalay Industries and Perfect Plastics:

Back