One newbie to another.

rzw0wr

Newbie Switchman
I have been working/messing with model railroad a little over a year now.
After 4 false starts on layouts I finally have a layout I am building.
10 feet x 14 feet. Not real big and not real small.
I am building this layout to learn and plan to change it around several times.

With that said I would like to pass on some things I have found out so far.

1) The plan you start with will likely not be the plan you finish with.
I planned this layout as far as I knew how.
I still had to make changes to it, the computer design did not show some of the problem areas.
Close but still not the same as I had designed.
2) Before you start the bench work have a fairly complete or close idea or design in mind.
This design does not have to be exact but, should be close. You are going to change it anyway.
3) Build the bench work to match your design.
Think your turnouts through fairly well. What type, how will you operate them, hot frogs or insulated frogs.
If not now, sooner or later you will want to add switch machines or some other type of remote control.
Try to leave room under you layout to mount, wire and maintain them.
At this time think about how you will be wiring your layout.
Where will you run the main, switching yards, sidings and such from.
Are you going to use a control panel. Where will it mount.
How big will it need to be.
Will there be more than one. Example: one for switching, one or two for the main and maybe one or two for the industries switching.
How many trains are you wanting to run and how many people running them. Is there enough room. Is there enough track and places for trains to pass one another.
4) Can you comfortably reach all of your layout from one point or another.
Please believe me when I tell you that this is very important.
A derailment in and area that you can't reach or have to lay out over scenery is a very bad thing.
You can figure that you will need to rebuild the scenery over every time this happens.
Laying on the track to reach an area is not a good thing either.
Once or twice you will get away with it then one time the track will come loose and you have another repair.
5) Everybody started the same place you are now. No one was born a MRR.
Ask questions before you put it in stone.
It is very hard most times to rip it up and start again to do it right. You are going to make enough mistakes, you don't have to add to them.
Ask questions. No this is not a typo. Ask questions, ask more questions then ask some more.
Search the net and read books or whatever to gain knowledge of the hobby.
Ask questions. Ask for clarification on your questions if you don't COMPLETELY understand the answer.
6) To help keep your sanity later buy yourself a label maker and use it.
Label your turnouts, your lights/lighting everything you have more than one of or that you may need to reference later.
Label your wires with the turnout or light number.
Use someway (terminal strips etc ) to hook up items and number them according to what you hook them to.
This will help you if you have problems later.
Don't solder your wires in place unless there is no other way.

These are just some of the things I have had trouble with building my layout so far.
I will try to add some more as I run into them.
I thought I would pass them on to the other newbies.
Welcome to the forum and the worlds greatest hobby.
Have fun, this is a great hobby.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dale,
Excellent advice, I have gone through 1 to 5 twice before finding the forums and all the help they can provide! As Tony stated well done and hopefully this will save the new guy's/gal's like myself the frustration of poor planning and foolish thoughts of I can do this without help!

Thanks guys.
I found this stuff very frustrating trying to building a layout.

Most I had to do several times.
I have never seen anything about these items anywhere so I thought I would offer them.

Sorry Dale i must of missed it. nothing like tring to read this post on a 2" by 3" screen. Sometime it jumps back to mim size and i lose my place.

Great idea for a thread Dale.

While there is no right or wrong way to go about building a layout it surely does help to know where others have run into snafus.

Thanks Dale for taking the time to share your experience.

Something I deal with daily is:

Accept your limitations. Space, money, time.

I can easily dream bigger than all three, but constantly remind myself of the short term goal which is to get the present layout done and only then dream about a bigger layout or sprucing up all my rolling stock.

I planned this layout as far as I knew how.
I still had to make changes to it, the computer design did not show some of the problem areas.
Close but still not the same as I had designed.
Nothing is better for testing a design then actually running trains on it. This is why I keep an empty 4x8 sheet of plywood and a huge selection of sectional track available. If I really want to see how something works I can lay it out and then, actually run trains on it before I try to incorporate it into a "fixed' layout.

I find out things like "oh the tail track isn't long enough for the cars that will be going into that industry, Oh there really needs to be a cut out or bypass here to get the locomotive past this set of cars, Oh I never use this crossover at all, Oh this crossover would work so much better if it were the opposite direction.. etc etc.

Seems like everyone is always in such a hurry to get track down permanently. At one of my prior clubs we left a section of track in the new yard "floating" for over a year so everyone could get trains though and experience operating it to find the "bugs".

Last edited by a moderator:

Back