Older turntable to DCC

Yes you can convert it, and its really easy. All you need to do is place an autoreversing unit on the leads to the track on the turntable. That's what I did to mine and it performs flawlessly.

more answers, please

Yes you can convert it, and its really easy. All you need to do is place an autoreversing unit on the leads to the track on the turntable. That's what I did to mine and it performs flawlessly.
OK, I need an autoreversing unit. Did you power the turntable mechanism with an accessory decoder? It is set up now for DC, and I don't understand enough about DCC to know if it runs little motors and indicator lights etc.

No, I used an Edmunds Scientific 1/2 RPM motor connected directly to the bridge. I ran that thru a DPDT center off switch to reverse direction on it. It was supposed to use infared indexing, but for some reason, that unit never has worked correctly. So I just use the Mk I Eyeball to align the tracks.

You can use a decoder to run the motor, but I saw no reason for me to do that. I really don't know if an accessory decoder would do it or if you need a separate motor decoder.

I wonder if this turntable has a split ring design to power the rails, thus obviating the need for a reversing unit. It might be worthing checking it out. If it has the split ring system for power, the rails reverse their polarity automatically. Otherwise, as Carey says, you have several options to effect the change, from reversers to switch control circuits or even to a simple DPDT toggle.

I wonder if this turntable has a split ring design to power the rails, thus obviating the need for a reversing unit....

That hadn't even occurred to me Crandell. Mine doesn't have a split ring, so it never entered my mind. Good catch!

Back