Old Milwaukee Road Switchers

montanan

Whiskey Merchant
I ran across these old B&W photos of Milwaukee Road switchers I got from my cousin around 30 years ago so I could custom paint and detail some HO locomotives. I totally forgot that I had them and found them when we were getting rid of some old furniture.

Most of the photos were taken in Minnesota from looking at the light rail.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

I believe that these photos are from the early 70's.

Cool photos Chet! I grew-up railfanning the Milwaukee Road... brings back a lot of good memories! :)
Scott

Glad you enjoyed them. I have relatives who worked for the Milwaukee Road and spent many many hours riding in the cabs in Montana between Harlowtown, MT and Avery, ID when I was a kid. Lots of good memories. Looks like I have number 877 on my layout. Just noticed that a few minutes ago. Better add the all weather cab windows.

IMAG0056.jpg

Chet:

Great photos. Those locos are my favorite and were real work horses.

Thanks for sharing your photos.

Greg

I would call it luck. So spark arrestors on 877. I always liked the old SW units. You could find them everywhere and there were a lot of minor differences on them. A lot of little items were added by the Milwaukee Road shops and it is hard to keep up with the little changes. With renumbering the locomotive roster it's almost impossible to keep up with them. 877 doesn't even show up on the Milwaukee Road Photographic roaster.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoList.aspx?id=MILW&Page=1

I have another SW unit that I modeled from an actual photograph I have and depending on the time period, the number on the unit is wrong, but again I have a photo of it. I often wonder how many times the changed things.

They sure were workhorses for the Milwaukee Road.

Nice photos, and the one of yours is also,
When I saw the title "Old Miwuakee Switchers" I was expecting brewery pics.
That's one of the roads I'd model if I ever switched direction.

I like the overgrown grass on the sidings in the photographs.

As I mentioned before the SW's up to the 1500's are my favorite type of locomotives. I have many models of these work horses and have one or two Milwaukee Road SOO bandits. Several years ago one of my model railroading friends said he saw the same Bandit still working in a yard in Milwaukee.

Greg

You may have seen this photo I posted before, one of the bandits.

1548 Actual Loco.jpg

These ar ea bit too modern for me, but I do like them.

Back