ok i tested my new big boy and....

blackz28

its the new one with weathering & sound , i started it up as i listened to the sounds i heard............... the sound of a firemen SHOVELING COAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG NO WAY TELL ME IM WRONG , REALLY REALLY AHHH :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Although it seems like a foobie sound, the fact is that an fireman could still dress a fire using the old fashioned shovel. Sometimes the automatic stoker just didn't get it in all the right places, and the fireman would have to go to work. Not often, but probably several times a run.

Now if the decoder had the sounds of a steam powered stoker, THAT would be cool....:D

Big Boy test

OK!! so you tested your Big Boy and you got all excited?? I would also get excited. I have hankered after one of those babies for quite some time.
Tell me more, like brand name, price, what type of decoder etc., etc.,
I am interested in a decent running steamer but I don't want to pay the big bucks that they seem to be asking lately.
I' getting closer to taking the plunge. Wife says "GO FOR IT if it makes you happy"
Thanks for listening to my rant.
Mac

Im jealous....lol I have always wanted a big boy. Definitely wouldnt fit in with our modern theme but I reaaallllyyyy dont care, its one of those things I have to have eventually haha. post some pics if you can!

well i got this real cheap off of hoyardsale, 150 bucks brand new;):D i have 2 other big boys but they arent sound, its not bad but i love the sound, i have to drop the son off to school but i will finish the review ;)

ok its loksound, not bad but the chuffs have to be toned down a bit & i like tusami decoders better but for the money this unit is nice. not to confuse it will the MTH VERSION but still really nice

Blackstone K-27's have had the same sound feature for years now.....plus many others....

Glad you like your Big Boy....

One of my steam train movies indicated that a Big Boy was hand shoveled once after the stocker failed. It made it to the next stop but not fast and they needed a new fireman afterward!

One of my steam train movies indicated that a Big Boy was hand shoveled once after the stocker failed. It made it to the next stop but not fast and they needed a new fireman afterward!
I bet! The poor guy was probably about to have a coronary!

oh yea ps i also got an athearn turbine & i got it straighted out with a tsunami decoder , that runs nice too

"Last of the Giants, Volume 2" had an interview with a guy that hand-fired a Big Boy (light) from where it broke down to the shop. He said in order to make it as "easy" as possible for him, they way overfilled the tender, with a couple of tons of coal ending up in the cab, so all he had to do was pick it up and toss it in the firebox.
In another interview in the same movie, they said a Big Boy got its throttle stuck, and stalled, and by the time they got the mechanical stoker shut down and it ran out of steam, it had ground down through the rails into the ties and ballast.

In another interview in the same movie, they said a Big Boy got its throttle stuck, and stalled, and by the time they got the mechanical stoker shut down and it ran out of steam, it had ground down through the rails into the ties and ballast.

Did they call that a 'burn out' back then or a melt down? :D

:eek:

Back