Northern Pacific Rocky Valley Branch Switching Layout Build

After spending some time today thinking about the next steps for my layout, I realized that I never developed a solid plan as to what area I am actually modeling in!

My original plan was to build a New England based fictional railroad with an MEC lease engine and an assortment of rolling stock. However…it seems to me that as this project has progressed, I’ve found myself with different industries, ballast color, and other details different than I originally planned. I’ve come to learn through a few layout projects and research that this is fairly common practice.

That being said, I felt compelled to dig deep inside my thoughts around model railroading and figure out exactly what it was I wanted to model.

After a few hours today of research and deep thought, I narrowed it down. The Rocky Valley Railroad is actually a fictional branch line of the Northern Pacific Railroad based near Billings, Montana. It primarily transports lumber, oil, and coal. My shelf switching layout represents the end of the branch line where these commodities (among various others) are off-loaded into the small town of Rocky Valley.

With this little self-discovery of sorts, I went ahead and ordered a few things to continue with the creation of Rocky Valley. These include: the old time conveyors and oil-loading platform mentioned in a previous post, as well as the storage tank set. I also ordered some track bumpers and Woodland Scenics coal. Finally, I ordered a brand new Proto 2000 Northern Pacific SW9 locomotive and a 5-car kit of Northern Pacific 2-bay hoppers. I’ve never assembled rolling stock from a kit so that should be something new and exciting!

I expect to continue with more work on the layout tomorrow:)

Made a lot of progress today:)

I continued with the next step of painting the rock faces which included using a wash of 50% Espresso Brown acrylic paint and 50% white acrylic paint with a ratio of 1 part paint to approximately 8 parts water.

This wash when applied, adds a pinkish reddish color to the rocks which when combined with the gray base coat, creates a rock face with a good blend of color. There are two more steps to complete for the rock faces which I’ll continue with next weekend most likely.

IMG_6623.jpeg

IMG_6621.jpeg

The next thing I did was begin some of the scenic work around the tracks. I’ve got the base layer applied in some areas and once the glue dries, I’ll add some more detail.

I wasn’t sure exactly how I wanted to scenic the areas for each industry so I left those areas for later.

IMG_6625.jpeg

IMG_6624.jpeg

IMG_6626.jpeg

My plan is to use more of my weathering powders to tone down the brightness of the ballast. I’ll then add more weeds and such to give the scene a more realistic look.

Looks great!
Will you be turning the ramp to face the road tho or is it meant to be more of a dock level kind of thing?
Thanks! I’m trying to decide which way to go. I was thinking of implying that there was a main road off scene and trucks would back off the street to the loading dock. It would essentially be a rail-to-truck transfer. The ramp on the other side would just serve to allow forklifts and equipment to come up when needed.

I was stating the dimensions of the board that would be given at the store. The original board was purchased as 1’ x 4’ x 1”. The more precise measurements are 11 1/2” x 4’ x 3/4”, I believe.
nominal size vs. actual size. In kiln dried lumber, the boards are usually actually thinner and narrower than the nominal (named) size.

In rough lumber, the actual size is often a bit larger (wider and thicker) than the nominal size.

Dave LASM

nominal size vs. actual size. In kiln dried lumber, the boards are usually actually thinner and narrower than the nominal (named) size.

In rough lumber, the actual size is often a bit larger (wider and thicker) than the nominal size.

Dave LASM
Thanks Dave! I remember you mentioning board size in a different post but I couldn’t remember the terminology of nominal vs. actual when discussing board size. Thanks for the info!

Well…I received my new Proto 2000 Sw9 locomotive yesterday. Unfortunately the seller wasn’t honest in their listing and I was sold a used locomotive vs. a new one. Upon removing the locomotive from the package, I could see slight wear marks on the wheels from being used and not cleaned. I did test the chassis without the shell so far and it does work good and is a smooth runner for sure! A little disappointed but I did ask them for a partial refund which they accepted so I’m happy.

I will apply some oil to the gears before putting the shell on and I’m sure this locomotive will do well on the layout. The locomotive also came with horn-hook couplers which I will need to swap out with knuckle couplers before I can do some switching.

I received the tank car loading platform, tank set, and coal conveyors today! I decided to start working on the tank loading platform before the others as I’d like to get the scenic work done around that section of the layout but I can’t until I get the kit installed first. I skimmed through the instructions and it doesn’t seem too bad. Work begins tonight:)

IMG_6650.jpeg

Not trying to hijack your thread. ;) Your progress is great!👍

I had a similar epiphany. I had been building "operating dioramas" where I stuffed every structure I had ever built into them and detailed down to the minutia. Almost completely nonsensical for operation.

I watched this video and had my "light bulb" moment.

Back to your layout......

You may want to invest in one of these for sprue cutting plastic kits. I found it a whole lot better than the pliers.

Not trying to hijack your thread. ;) Your progress is great!👍

I had a similar epiphany. I had been building "operating dioramas" where I stuffed every structure I had ever built into them and detailed down to the minutia. Almost completely nonsensical for operation.

I watched this video and had my "light bulb" moment.

Back to your layout......

You may want to invest in one of these for sprue cutting plastic kits. I found it a whole lot better than the pliers.

Thanks for the link, very informative video!

My original idea for this small layout was much like the layout in the beginning of the video with track work and industries everywhere! I ultimately narrowed it down to a simple inglenook and a few small kits for industries: oil platform, coal conveyors, and a simple wooden dock. These structures don’t take up much space, have operational interest, and are cheap compared to MANY other kits.

My goal is to have a simple switching layout that will provide quick 30 minute operation sessions that I can do once in a while:)

Thanks for the link on the tweezers, I’ll keep them in mind as I progress on the build.

Thanks for the link, very informative video!

My original idea for this small layout was much like the layout in the beginning of the video with track work and industries everywhere! I ultimately narrowed it down to a simple inglenook and a few small kits for industries: oil platform, coal conveyors, and a simple wooden dock. These structures don’t take up much space, have operational interest, and are cheap compared to MANY other kits.

My goal is to have a simple switching layout that will provide quick 30 minute operation sessions that I can do once in a while:)

Thanks for the link on the tweezers, I’ll keep them in mind as I progress on the build.

I believe this has been my problem with getting bored so quickly. Once it's built, what do I do with it. Looks great statically, but no functionality.

No more delusions of grandeur. :oops:

I believe this has been my problem with getting bored so quickly. Once it's built, what do I do with it. Looks great statically, but no functionality.

No more delusions of grandeur. :oops:
I’ve always been drawn to micro layouts or smaller shelf layouts. I think it comes down to personality. I don’t get bored very easily with model railroading and something as simple as a new freight car can keep me occupied for some time.

I would probably get overwhelmed with a large basement empire so smaller layouts suit me. Not to mention, I live in a VERY small apartment with my fiancé and 1’ x 6.5’ was the biggest layout I could do lol. I’m not even building it at the apartment, it’s being constructed at my mother’s and will be transported to the apartment upon completion.

It checks all the boxes right now but I’m sure when time and space allows, I’ll make something bigger.

Lots of progress this week!

I completed the next step in the rock face detailing. I applied a black India ink and isopropyl alcohol wash over the rocks to darken them slightly and create shadows and depth in the various cracks. It didn’t turn out quite how I wanted but it still looks okay.

IMG_6660.jpeg

IMG_6661.jpeg

The last step for the rock faces is to lightly apply some white paint here and there on the rocks to add another layer of color and detail.

The next thing I worked on is some more scenic work, including weathering with powders. I applied more ballast and turf around various areas, as well as some of the Woodland Scenics coal to the coal loading track. The two mounds of foam are bases for two piles of coal I plan to create as part of the scene.

IMG_6658.jpeg

IMG_6659.jpeg

Lastly, I continued with the build of the Walthers oil loading platform. I plan to utilize this platform as a platform and pipes that will sit next to or between oil storage tanks. The entire setup will be a “kitbashed” oil distribution center of sorts.

IMG_6663.jpeg

The yellow track bumpers are ones I ordered and they unfortunately came in the mail half-apart. I had to utilize my plastic cement to get them back together. I plan on painting them a reddish-brown color and weathering accordingly.

Below is another item I ordered, a caboose! I haven’t had one in a long time and this branch line served by the Northern Pacific could certainly use one:)

IMG_6657.jpeg

Had a chance to work some more on Rocky Valley. I continued with the final step of the rock faces which included dry brushing white paint onto the edges of the rocks to show sun bleaching. I think overall the rocks turned out great!

I also applied the foundation layer of turf and weeds to the hills as well.

IMG_6667.jpeg

IMG_6666.jpeg

IMG_6668.jpeg

IMG_6669.jpeg

IMG_6673.jpeg

I also took some time to create the small coal piles that are adjacent to where the coal unloading conveyors will be placed.

IMG_6670.jpeg

I also received a few more items today in the mail, these are two Intermountain GATX tank cars for the oil distributor as well as the five-car coal hopper kit mentioned in a previous post.

IMG_6664.jpeg

IMG_6671.jpeg

Back