News From Athearn at the National Show

That'd be right, no MRL's. (probably 'cause Kato did them ages ago, but they didn't get the blue right)

I cant believe that their ready to run line has inflated in price as much as it has. $184 for a ready to run locomotive? I remember when I used to be able to get a RTR (in the same type of packaging mind you) for $50-$80 around 5 years ago. I do understand it has sound too, but honestly, $184?

On dear, something else to add to the wish list. C&S units. Should I put them at the bottom or prioritize them with the other things already there.... groan.

Have you gotten either of the Athearn GP35's?

I did see one of the bluebox, painted for MRL on ebay, but may have been a custom job. I've picked up 3 later GP35's of the RTR DCC ready variety in various roads with the intention of repainting, but wasn't aware of any MRL's having been factory done.

I cant believe that their ready to run line has inflated in price as much as it has. $184 for a ready to run locomotive? I remember when I used to be able to get a RTR (in the same type of packaging mind you) for $50-$80 around 5 years ago. I do understand it has sound too, but honestly, $184?

But for $184 you are getting a DCC Sound equipped engine. That is still a bargain compared to most other sound equipped engines. $135 for non-sound DCC ready is not as good a deal. I was hoping they may follow Intermountain's lead and put DCC decoders in the non-sound units as well, since they could still run in DC, but I guess that isn't to be. Bumps the price for non-sound closer to $160, so might as well get sound!

I'm really looking forward to the Canadian version of the SD40 that is mentioned here and there in the future! And some Undec's would better fill my needs than any of the offered paint schemes.

Back