Newbie Quick Questions

I've read the forum FAQs & etc., searched older threads, and am uncomfortable asking for help without, first, giving it for several weeks/months but I don't have any experience. Plz. excuse any breach of protocol any faux pas committed.

- I didn't see any similar thread or Sticky; nor did I see the same questions posed elsewhere
- For several weeks I've been gathering information but haven't found the answers to the following questions, which seem should be fairly simple:

Re: LDEs
1) What Division/Branch of the Erie-Lackawanna (EL) served Jamestown, NY (Chautauqua County)?
2) Would this be the same Division/Branch designation under which one would look for the Erie RR Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC) valuation maps (of 1920)?
3) Are the valuation maps topographical? Has anyone used them to create Layout Design Elements (LDE).

Re: DCC
4) It seems most books about Digital Command Control (DCC) were written several years ago. Has the tech curve made any/some/most of these outdated? Any suggestions?

Re: Realistically Modeling Prototype Operations
[BTW, I have an interest in modeling the Erie-Lackawanna (EL) circa 1963; focusing on it's service in Chautauqua Co. (NY)....I know I'll have to fudge the date a little earlier for a lot of the siding and branch activity.]

5) I have a basic understanding about *what* is done (on the layout) but not *how* it's done (as far as how to sort cars, make cuts, performing siding drop-offs/pick-ups, etc.) I'm not sure how to design a layout of LDEs in which to make it work. I see mixed reviews of books on the subject. Any suggestions?

6) Ideally, I'd love to have an historical basis for my layout's operation (frequency of type of loads, etc.) but have no clue if this information is possible to obtain. Again, any suggestions or examples of what others have done to approximate reality?

Re: In General
7) Does it sound like I'm asking some of the right questions?
8) What do you think I'm not asking but, maybe, should....if anything?

Again, I'm sorry to have my first post here be asking for something instead of contributing something....I'll make it up, later.

1) What Division/Branch of the Erie-Lackawanna (EL) served Jamestown, NY (Chautauqua County)?
I have sent this question to another volunteer at the museum who models the Lackawanna.

4) It seems most books about Digital Command Control (DCC) were written several years ago. Has the tech curve made any/some/most of these outdated? Any suggestions?
Yes and no. DCC is a standard that doesn't change too often so generic information in a book will be the same and not obsolete information quickly. Information about specific brands of equipment will change frequently and hence obsolete quickly. In my opinion DCC is so simple and there is so much information on-line, I question the value of any book an the subject. Well, that is unless you really want to know all the technical details of how it works under the covers (like the bit pattern of a packet).

Re: Realistically Modeling Prototype Operations
5) I have a basic understanding about *what* is done (on the layout) but not *how* it's done (as far as how to sort cars, make cuts, performing siding drop-offs/pick-ups, etc.) I'm not sure how to design a layout of LDEs in which to make it work. I see mixed reviews of books on the subject. Any suggestions?

6) Ideally, I'd love to have an historical basis for my layout's operation (frequency of type of loads, etc.) but have no clue if this information is possible to obtain. Again, any suggestions or examples of what others have done to approximate reality?
Choosing something specific like this is a really good thing because this sort of information is available it is just harder to find since so few people care about it. Often it is available from the target railroad's historical society. In this case http://www.erielackhs.org/

Also if you could find detailed railroad schedules (for the freights not just passengers), looking at the stops times will give a clue of the volume processed at that particular town, siding, industry. Lots of cars will obviously be given more time for the train to process than say a mill with 2 cars to pick up.

I would first select the scenes or at least industries that are of the most interest. Design those LDEs. That will dictate the car type, capacity, and frequency. From that work backwards to the yard where the branch joins the main and design it. Then you will have the basis to start plotting out the operational scheme.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out the Erie and EL portions of this site, railfan.net. It's another place to start digging for information. Also, this is a little outside the box, but the Anthracite Railroad Historical Society's website might also have some information on the lines that connected with your branch and interchanged along it.

You might also start digging around and see if anyone has posted employee timetables for your time period, or who/where you can find one for sale.

Research is a neat part of any model railroading project.

Here is the response I got from my friend word for word, "I'm not an expert on the EL "western lines", but I believe it was the Mahoning Division, Third Sub on the EL mainline (former Erie)."

Here is the response I got from my friend word for word, "I'm not an expert on the EL "western lines", but I believe it was the Mahoning Division, Third Sub on the EL mainline (former Erie)."

Thanks for having the email exchange.

"Mahoning" led me to find an EL Master Mechanics Territory map titled "Studies of Possible Affiliation Between Norfolk & Western Railway and Erie-Lackawanna Railway" in which the EL Divisions of "Meadville", "Allegany", "Buffalo", and "B&SW" are all marked in blue and the "Mahoning 1st & 2nd" are marked in orange. Midpoint between Jamestown and Niobe Jnct. (heading toward the PA border from Jamestown) the blue becomes orange (halfway between stations).

I learned the historical B&SW's N-S route lies east of Jamestown so I knew it wasn't that one. I then found a list of Erie RR stations that has Jamestown in the Erie RR Meadville Division (the westernmost station and namesake for that division). But, on the EL map, Meadville is the "hub" of the Mahoning Division (orange). Therefore, I conclude, Jamestown is in the EL Meadville Division (one of the divisions listed in blue) even though Meadville itself isn't. I would think "Third Sub" (3rd. sub-division?) refers to the Erie RR Mahoning Div.'s designation which the EL changed but kept "1st" and "2nd", as stated on the map. [All, good luck following *that* explanation...I don't think I could if I didn't write it.]

BTW, I also was reminded (during my follow-up search) the Penn RR had a Right-of-Way (ROW) from Corry, PA to Dunkirk, NY (a few miles west of Jamestown)...forgot about that ROW now being used by Chautauqua Rails to Trails.

Welcome to the forums James, Glad to have you onboard!

Don't worry about making anything up later, we know you will.

Thanks for sharing your hobby with us.

You have one of the members of my Modelers Hall of Fame helping you right off the bat!

Have fun with your trains!

I have sent this question to another volunteer at the museum who models the Lackawanna.

Thanks, again, for making the inquiry. "Mahoning" led to a very informative and interesting research path around I roadblock that had stalled my efforts. Plz. share my (tentative) results with your contact.

Yes and no. DCC is a standard that doesn't change too often so generic information in a book will be the same and not obsolete information quickly. Information about specific brands of equipment will change frequently and hence obsolete quickly. In my opinion DCC is so simple and there is so much information on-line, I question the value of any book an the subject. Well, that is unless you really want to know all the technical details of how it works under the covers (like the bit pattern of a packet). .

Your reply encouraged me to be more determined in my online search for DCC info. and I found that once one wades through the first 4-6 pp. of commercial ads./websites there are informative online results. I found a PDF outline of a (Powerpoint?) presentation given at a model R.R. convention. I'll renew my search for more later. Your comment, "...DCC is so simple..." makes me think the explanations I've found might be all there is to it rather than just an 'overview'....I do tend to imagine things more difficult than they are. Oh, and, "no"....I'm not big into technical details (unless it's the algorithm of AI behavior of a PC game).

Choosing something specific like this is a really good thing because this sort of information is available it is just harder to find since so few people care about it. Often it is available from the target railroad's historical society. In this case http://www.erielackhs.org/.

I think I'm a bit confused. If it's a "good thing" why would "so few people care about it"? Are most prototype-based layouts probably less researched than I imagine them to be? Given how frequently I see popular divisions being modeled I thought the information available would allow for very specific and realistic operation.

Re: "historical society": BTDT (been there, done that). I went through 30+ pp of their valuation map listing and stopped when I realized it would take "forever" unless I knew for what Division/Branch I was searching; hence my question. Also, a lot of pics, articles, layouts, and etc. refer to the Division/Branch designation...another reason to know.

Also if you could find detailed railroad schedules (for the freights not just passengers), looking at the stops times will give a clue of the volume processed at that particular town, siding, industry. Lots of cars will obviously be given more time for the train to process than say a mill with 2 cars to pick up..

When I was a kid I'd watch switching operations (lived a block away from the rail yard). The freight train (pax service ended earlier) would arrive, drop-off/pick-up cuts (line of cars), and depart within a few hrs. (if not faster). All the "real" action was switch engine stuff: taking coal to the powerplant, coal and processed steel to Crescent Tool, Maddox
, Blackstone (washer & dryer mfgr.), and pick-up furniture and finished steel products, etc. Many of the sidings, to businesses along the Chadakoin River, were still in use all the way to Falconer, NY.
I would first select the scenes or at least industries that are of the most interest. Design those LDEs. That will dictate the car type, capacity, and frequency. From that work backwards to the yard where the branch joins the main and design it. Then you will have the basis to start plotting out the operational scheme.
Tentatively created a list of businesses served by rail (see some in list above). I have some recollection/info./guesses for car type; capacity ... the scale length of cars will be determined by my min. turn radius and length of modelled sidings (I'm guessing 40' for most...to increase # of cars for the illusion/allusion it gives). I don't think the LDE will dictate frequency...but your previous comment re: "railroad schedules" could apply if I find any sort of Bill of Lading type info.; relevant info. about the individual businesses' shipping/production schedules, and even aerial/street scene photos could provide clues.

Check out the Erie and EL portions of this site, railfan.net. It's another place to start digging for information. Also, this is a little outside the box, but the Anthracite Railroad Historical Society's website might also have some information on the lines that connected with your branch and interchanged along it.

Yes, I've found railfan.net and used it (among other sites) to cross-reference and confirm various information.
For example, I have verified the following EL locos served Jamestown (* indicates circa 1963; compatible w/ my proposed layout date):

*Alco C-424 #2404 ...unk. former owner (1962/63 until Conrail)
*EMD E8A #832 ...former Erie RR equip. (1950/51 until Conrail)
EMD SD-45 #3663 ...former D&H equip. (1971/72 until Conrail)
*Alco C-425 #2409 ...unk. former owner (1962/63 until Conrail)

The Anthracite RHS might lead to something. They haven't updated their website since late 2013 but I've downloaded their e-zines for a later read for clues/info.

You might also start digging around and see if anyone has posted employee timetables for your time period, or who/where you can find one for sale.

I found such a list organized by Division/Branch name (another reason to know Jamestown's). I'm not sure what to do with it, though...if I can find it again.

Research is a neat part of any model railroading project.

Can you tell I like research? And thanks for your post.

Welcome to the forums James, Glad to have you onboard!

Don't worry about making anything up later, we know you will.

Thanks for sharing your hobby with us.

You have one of the members of my Modelers Hall of Fame helping you right off the bat!

Have fun with your trains!

Thank you. As for "making it up later"...I'm already trying to 'pay it back' (maybe someone, sometime will find something I post useful for themselves). At least I can already start to establish 'sincerity'....'consist-ency' (had to make the pun) will take time.

While I sincerely appreciate the help I've already received, if anyone would like to take a look at my OP questions #5, 6, 7, and 8 as I'm not yet confident about them; #5 in particular as I'm concerned I'll model a siding or situation which is, in modelling operations, unnecessarily annoying if not impossible.

For example, on a single dead-end siding how does one pick-up and drop-off? There must be a turnout and side track somewhere but how did the prototypes handle it?

I worked for a paper company and our paper came and went by boxcar, we were on a single siding as far as I could see.

A locomotive came to take away the boxcar full of recycled paper in bails and not too long after returned with an empty. I guess he left the empty on a siding somewhere on the line until he pulled out the full one.

[BTW, I have an interest in modeling the Erie-Lackawanna (EL) circa 1963; focusing on it's service in Chautauqua Co. (NY)....I know I'll have to fudge the date a little earlier for a lot of the siding and branch activity.]

[.

I love history and found some great resources for your railroad basis. The USGS has free maps available and the Jamestown maps on the database include 1954, which is pretty close to your 1963 target.

This will show you where the tracks went and what they went to. All the sidings are accurately depicted.

Look here: http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/usgs...rd&carea=$ROOT&layout=6_1_61_48&uiarea=2)/.do

Here is a blow up of what you will find, how it looked in 1954:

Jamestown, 1954.jpg

Hope this helps!! lasm

lasm, I did not realize USGS had digitized their older topos. About 15 yrs. ago I ordered all the quadrants that cover Chautauqua Co. (for a GIS project) and recv'd the 1980s Series.
This is great!
I've already downloaded the Jamestown, Falconer, Lakewood, and Panama quadrants to look (drool) over. And, yes, the 1954s & '56s are perfect since this was the heyday for Jamestown manufacturing and, therefore, all the sidings were more likely to be active (and shown...which they appear to be). I doubt any new sidings would have been created after the mid 1950's, in fact, by the '80s most sidings were removed or paved over during road resurfacing and creating parking lots.
Wow! I thought finding old topos was going to be nearly impossible. I am so relieved (can you tell?). Thanks....big time.

[Edit: BTW, I see using the "Imagery" overlay there's a consist working its way through the yard...cool. Also, the overlay will help me to ID which structures are/were which manufacturers...where I don't recall.]

I think I'm a bit confused. If it's a "good thing" why would "so few people care about it"? Are most prototype-based layouts probably less researched than I imagine them to be? Given how frequently I see popular divisions being modeled I thought the information available would allow for very specific and realistic operation.
Yes, many model railroaders fall into the camp of "it is my railroad and I'll do anything I want" category. But even with the ones who are modeling specific prototypes one has to divide the modelers amongst the prototypes, then divide that prototype into the portions of the route that those modelers have chosen to model. That leaves very few people left interested in that one piece of info.

even aerial/street scene photos could provide clues.
Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps are a great source.

For example, on a single dead-end siding how does one pick-up and drop-off? There must be a turnout and side track somewhere but how did the prototypes handle it?
To switch a stub ended siding there are three possibilities. The easiest is what is called a trailing point switch out. This is where the train is headed in the direction so that the switch track is to the rear of the loco. For a pick up the train is stopped behind the turnout. Locomotive pulls forward and the switch is changed. It backs up couples onto the car. Pulls it out. Change the turnout again and back the new car onto the rest of the train. Couple up and go. Drop off is similar except the train is broken behind the car(s) to be dropped.

Facing point where the locomotive is facing into the stub ended siding. It is a bit more difficult and the exact moves depends upon where the closest "run around" track is. A run around track is a double ended siding where the locomotive can leave the car, moved down the other track and come back up on the other side of it. So the locomotive would nose in and couple onto the car. Pull it back out of the siding. Move it to where ever the run around is. Run around it. Then take it back on the opposite side of the locomotive to couple it onto the train.

This sort of information complete with diagrams can be found in Chapter 5 of the book, How to Operate your model railroad by Bruce Chubb. The chapter is only 9 pages long, but the basic moves work together in combinatorial fashion based on the complexity of the switching area.

Then it gets more complicated based upon the rules of the road on whether empty cars being brought into an industry were spotted at the rear of the siding or on the front, and also whether the local freight was supposed to keep the train blocked in transit or whether they were to leave that job for the yard crews.

The other way to deal with a facing point turnout is called "polling". This is where the locomotive would move on the main, past the car on the side track. A pole would be placed diagonally between the loco and the desired car. The loco pushes the car via the pole down and through the turnout behind it and onto the train. Real railroads also use a move called a "flying" or "running" switch that uses the momentum of a car to spot cars onto facing point stub end sidings. There is an excellent example of that on the DVD Santa Fe Odessy Volume 1. http://www.greenfrog.com/SFOdsy1_dvd.shtml I don't remember what "chapter" it is but it is an RS-3 doing a switching move in Lamar Colorado.

Yes, many model railroaders fall into the camp of "it is my railroad and I'll do anything I want" category. But even with the ones who are modeling specific prototypes one has to divide the modelers amongst the prototypes, then divide that prototype into the portions of the route that those modelers have chosen to model. That leaves very few people left interested in that one piece of info.

Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps are a great source.

I don't remember if I found Sanborns at the Fenton Historical Society, in Jamestown, while researching vaudeville theaters. I think I just used City Directories to locate them and develop a timeline and such. [I was so perturbed when I saw the awful editing that was done to the piece (published in the Jamestown Bi-Centennial book) and they called it a "college paper"?!]

Thanks for the insight re: prototype modelers. What I imagine doing with my layout is to set-up a scenario in which there's a schedule of actions to be taken during that session which is based on a hypothetical but possibly realistic "normal day" for the prototype.

Each car has a place to be; some have to be picked-up or dropped-off by a particular time (or day) in order to be sorted and ready for the next appropriate train. Some are just waiting for when they're needed at a local manufacturer or for delivery to points east (NYC) or west (CHI) or to other RRs along the way.

Manufacturers are filling their out-bounds...but, depending on production schedules, this could take a few days. If a hot/cold-spell hits, the electric power plant (which also provides steam heat to many downtown buildings) will need more coal more often and that delivery will have to be put into the schedule as needed. Things like that.

So, let's say, a couple guys come over for a session. I give them their individual schedule (list of tasks and deadline) and they have to figure out what they're going to do, the order they'll do it, and the optimal actions that are needed get it done in the time allotted. My only concern is scale speed and scale time....I don't know how to make sure one isn't running an engine at a scaled 150mph etc.

To switch a stub ended siding there are three possibilities. The easiest is what is called a trailing point switch out. This is where the train is headed in the direction so that the switch track is to the rear of the loco. For a pick up the train is stopped behind the turnout. Locomotive pulls forward and the switch is changed. It backs up couples onto the car. Pulls it out. Change the turnout again and back the new car onto the rest of the train. Couple up and go. Drop off is similar except the train is broken behind the car(s) to be dropped.

Facing point where the locomotive is facing into the stub ended siding. It is a bit more difficult and the exact moves depends upon where the closest "run around" track is. A run around track is a double ended siding where the locomotive can leave the car, moved down the other track and come back up on the other side of it. So the locomotive would nose in and couple onto the car. Pull it back out of the siding. Move it to where ever the run around is. Run around it. Then take it back on the opposite side of the locomotive to couple it onto the train.

This sort of information complete with diagrams can be found in Chapter 5 of the book, How to Operate your model railroad by Bruce Chubb. The chapter is only 9 pages long, but the basic moves work together in combinatorial fashion based on the complexity of the switching area.

Then it gets more complicated based upon the rules of the road on whether empty cars being brought into an industry were spotted at the rear of the siding or on the front, and also whether the local freight was supposed to keep the train blocked in transit or whether they were to leave that job for the yard crews.

The other way to deal with a facing point turnout is called "polling". This is where the locomotive would move on the main, past the car on the side track. A pole would be placed diagonally between the loco and the desired car. The loco pushes the car via the pole down and through the turnout behind it and onto the train. Real railroads also use a move called a "flying" or "running" switch that uses the momentum of a car to spot cars onto facing point stub end sidings. There is an excellent example of that on the DVD Santa Fe Odessy Volume 1. http://www.greenfrog.com/SFOdsy1_dvd.shtml I don't remember what "chapter" it is but it is an RS-3 doing a switching move in Lamar Colorado.

Yes, exactly! While I haven't focused on looking for this type of info, yet, I also haven't come across it, passively. I was beginning to wonder if it existed. I'll definitely want this before I start track planning. While I have topographic maps [now] and can see what was prototypically there, I want to be sure any compromises I make, with track configurations, will still work for what I'm wanting.

Thanks for the referrals.

I was so perturbed when I saw the awful editing that was done to the piece (published in the Jamestown Bi-Centennial book) and they called it a "college paper"?!
There are true scholarly works, and there is the trash people throw together just to finish a class or (unfortunately) even a degree. For my ME I had to sit in on all the other student's in my class "Capstone Project Presentations". I was shocked and appalled at probably 80% of the other students work. As this was my 2nd masters, and the first had been a Thesis type, I had assumed that these Capstones were supposed to be like a mini-thesis. NOT! Well, at least theirs weren't. The really bad thing is that both them and I have exactly the same sheep skin hanging on the wall. sigh.

What I imagine doing with my layout is to set-up a scenario in which there's a schedule of actions to be taken during that session which is based on a hypothetical but possibly realistic "normal day" for the prototype.

Each car has a place to be; some have to be picked-up or dropped-off by a particular time (or day) in order to be sorted and ready for the next appropriate train. Some are just waiting for when they're needed at a local manufacturer or for delivery to points east (NYC) or west (CHI) or to other RRs along the way.

Manufacturers are filling their out-bounds...but, depending on production schedules, this could take a few days. If a hot/cold-spell hits, the electric power plant (which also provides steam heat to many downtown buildings) will need more coal more often and that delivery will have to be put into the schedule as needed. Things like that.

So, let's say, a couple guys come over for a session. I give them their individual schedule (list of tasks and deadline) and they have to figure out what they're going to do, the order they'll do it, and the optimal actions that are needed get it done in the time allotted. My only concern is scale speed and scale time....I don't know how to make sure one isn't running an engine at a scaled 150mph etc.
Each car having a place to be would be "bill of lading", this would become a fright waybill, waybills are made up into switchlists for specific trains. Some trains are scheduled, some are dispatched. Based on the waybills, then cars are ordered. The ordered cars are put into the appropriate trains. For dispatched trains track warrants (permission to move and occupy) are issued. The trains are ordered, crews are called, call slips issued. The crews arrive, and are given their schedule and/or warrants and then things start moving.

Yes, you will find all of this and more (like dealing with scale speed, how to develop schedules, which railroad person does what, dispatching, etc.) in the book previously mentioned. "How to Operate your model railroad: Realistic Operation for all Scales" by Bruce Chubb. A good companion book would be "Track Planning for Realistic Operations: Prototype Railroad Concepts for Your Model Railroad " by John Armstrong.

There are also many computer programs out there to help one generate switch lists.

Model RR Library

I went out and got Model Railroader (Sept.2014) which incl. a booklet "Workshop Tips: Design Your Own Track Plan" by Andy Sperandeo, which has the following bibliography (DP= David Popp; JA=John Armstrong; JW = Jeff Wilson; TK=Tony Koester):

1) Model Railroading from Prototype to Layout (TK) [anecdotal(?); not "how to"]
2) Modeling the '50s, The Glory Years of Rail (MR Staff) [Model Railroader 'zine article reprints?]
3) The Model Railroader's Guide to Coal Railroading (TK)
4) *The Model Railroader's Guide to Industries Along the Track (JW, four vols.)
5) *Realistic Model Railroad Operations, 2nd Ed. (TK) [Model Railroader 'zine article reprints?; re: group operating session]
6) *Realistic Model Railroad Design (TK)
7) **Track Planning for Realistic Operation, 3rd Ed. (JA)
8) Building a Model Railroad Step by Step, 2nd Ed. (DP) [re: N scale]

I also went to Amazon to check out what looks interesting for my model RR library and came across the following:

9) How To Build A Modern Era Switching Layout (Lance Mindheim)
10) *How To Operate A Modern Era Switching Layout (Lance Mindheim)
11) Basic Structure Modeling for Model Railroaders (Terry Thompson & JW) [re: assembling store bought kits]
12) *Basic Model Railroad Benchwork (JW)
14) How to Build Model Railroad Benchwork, 2nd. Ed. (Linn Wescott) [doesn't cover modular or foamboard techniques]

I already considered the advice from the Forum re: DCC and left off books on that subject which, by the way, Amazon reviews tend to support that decision. I also didn't list any general "Intro" to model RR books or books re: scenery on purpose.

Placed an * next to those that seem to be good for me to consider (and a ** next to #7 because it seems to cover what I'm most focused on right now).

My local library doesn't carry any model railroad books! The only train store nearby has 'zines but only about 5 diff. books...1-2 copies each. I can request an inter-library loan but if any of you have opinions on these, esp. my *'d ones, I'd be less hesitant about ordering them.

There are true scholarly works, and there is the trash people throw together just to finish a class or (unfortunately) even a degree. For my ME I had to sit in on all the other student's in my class "Capstone Project Presentations". I was shocked and appalled at probably 80% of the other students work. As this was my 2nd masters, and the first had been a Thesis type, I had assumed that these Capstones were supposed to be like a mini-thesis. NOT! Well, at least theirs weren't. The really bad thing is that both them and I have exactly the same sheep skin hanging on the wall. sigh.

Each car having a place to be would be "bill of lading", this would become a fright waybill, waybills are made up into switchlists for specific trains. Some trains are scheduled, some are dispatched. Based on the waybills, then cars are ordered. The ordered cars are put into the appropriate trains. For dispatched trains track warrants (permission to move and occupy) are issued. The trains are ordered, crews are called, call slips issued. The crews arrive, and are given their schedule and/or warrants and then things start moving.

Yes, you will find all of this and more (like dealing with scale speed, how to develop schedules, which railroad person does what, dispatching, etc.) in the book previously mentioned. "How to Operate your model railroad: Realistic Operation for all Scales" by Bruce Chubb. A good companion book would be "Track Planning for Realistic Operations: Prototype Railroad Concepts for Your Model Railroad " by John Armstrong.

There are also many computer programs out there to help one generate switch lists.

[Note: Sorry I missed the above post...I'm usually multi-tasking when I'm online (editing, checking/responding to emails, doing sketch-ups, etc.) and sometimes I start a post but don't finish it for an hour or so. I think some don't get posted immediately (maybe I've typed something that triggers moderation filters?)]

The Bruce Chubb book is out-of-print but will keep an I out for it on ebay....unless anyone has a clean copy that don't want anymore?
Aha, I double **Track Planning for Realistic Operations: Prototype Railroad Concepts for Your Model Railroad " by John Armstrong already...per reviews at Amazon....good call.

I'm *very* appreciative of all the help I'm getting here. It's been raining for the past several days and I haven't been able to work on outdoor projects; have been trying to make the most of my online time. It's expected to be dry for the next week so you'll all get a break from me for a while.

Back