Newbie looking for advice

AgentMX7

I am an absolute newbie. I am going to build my first layout. Here’s some background:

My son turns 30 next month. He has autism and lives with us. He LOVES trains. Started with Thomas like most small boys - graduated to Lionel trains, and we drive 10 hrs r/t at least once a year to visit the Train Museum in Pa. It’s usually his birthday ask to go there.

Over the years he has accumulated a lot of stuff. We’ve never had the space for a layout beyond a small oval in his room or around the Christmas tree. We closed last month on a new home in FL, and I had a 3-car garage built. I drove down from NY a couple of weeks ago and built an 8x12 table for him as a birthday surprise. It’s basically 3-sheets of OSB. I covered it with faux-grass carpet. Not the most realistic looking for a layout, but he has some tactile and texture issues and I thought this would be best.

While he was out I took a quick inventory of his stuff. I count at least 4 “starter sets” with CW-80 transformers, another 3-4 sets that use remote control and have different transformers, lots and lots of additional track and many buildings. It’s all FasTrack.

I’ve been reading forums and looking at layouts to find one I like that we can build with his stuff. I don’t have an exact inventory of track (yet), but will in about a week. He has limited switches (maybe 1 or 2 ea LH & RH) and I know these are expensive.

I have a few initial questions, and likely will have many more once I get deeper in.

A couple to start:
- I know FasTrack is FasTrack, but will the remote locomotives run using the transformers?
- how much track can I support (approx) with the 4 transformers? I know I need to wire them “in phase” but I’m wondering what I can expect. We went to a train show today and someone was selling a used ZW transformer for $125 - I would have bought it but he was with me. Honestly, even if it didn’t work it looked cool!
- wiring - I bought 100’ of 2-wire 16 ga wire that I thought I’d loop around the outside perimeter of the track (underneath of course). I thought I could connect it to the track and then run a separate loop for accessories. For the accessories I thought I’d pick up some thinner (20?) gauge wire.
- I’d like to have multiple lines running at the same time. Is the best way to do this simply to treat them completely independently (eg separate 14ga wiring loop, separate transformer) or is there a better way?

As you can tell from my questions I’m still finding my way through all of this. From other experiences I know one of the best ways to be successful is to ask the experts - so here I am. I appreciate all comments and advice, and pointing me to relevant posts to further my education.

Thanks in advance to all.
MX7

Thank you! Obviously there are lots of resources on this topic, but getting a recommendation from a forum member goes a long way with me.

Does anyone know of a similar resource (or better yet - an online free one) that covers track layouts?

Thank you! Obviously there are lots of resources on this topic, but getting a recommendation from a forum member goes a long way with me.

Does anyone know of a similar resource (or better yet - an online free one) that covers track layouts?

While he was out I took a quick inventory of his stuff. I count at least 4 “starter sets” with CW-80 transformers, another 3-4 sets that use remote control and have different transformers, lots and lots of additional track and many buildings. It’s all FasTrack.
By remote control do you mean Lionel Lion Chief? Or maybe Lionel TMCC, or maybe Lionel Legacy controllers, or one of the other brands like K-line?

He has limited switches (maybe 1 or 2 ea LH & RH) and I know these are expensive.
That is really going to limit the track plans available especially with 7-8 sets to deal with.

- I know FasTrack is FasTrack, but will the remote locomotives run using the transformers?
got to leave that one for Bruette to answer.
- how much track can I support (approx) with the 4 transformers? I know I need to wire them “in phase” but I’m wondering what I can expect. We went to a train show today and someone was selling a used ZW transformer for $125 - I would have bought it but he was with me.
Well, this isn't a wiring issue. This is an issue of how many trains you want to independently run at one time. I think all the ones with remotes are not an issue to all run together. The issue is that a Cw-80 is exactly that 80 watts. So it will be able to handle 80 watts worth of trains. Don't forget that the locomotives aren't the only things that consumer power, any accessory cars, lighted cars, sound cars all need to share that power.

- wiring - I bought 100’ of 2-wire 16 ga wire that I thought I’d loop around the outside perimeter of the track (underneath of course). I thought I could connect it to the track and then run a separate loop for accessories. For the accessories I thought I’d pick up some thinner (20?) gauge wire.
Good plan. I don't know about thinner gauge for the accessories though. Once again the gauge needed it is going to depend on the number of watts the accessories will be needing.

- I’d like to have multiple lines running at the same time. Is the best way to do this simply to treat them completely independently (eg separate 14ga wiring loop, separate transformer) or is there a better way?
Yes that is the simple and easiest way. There isn't a "better" way but there are more expensive ways. To make multiple trains run independently on the same track Lionel has made several different control systems through the years, plus there is always the good old fashion control panel approach where one would make sections of the track insulated and then have electrical switches controlling which transformer was providing power to that specific track. The operator then flips switches to have the control "follow" the trains around the track.

Last edited:

Back