New year. New layout.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

otiscnj

Have you considered building an extension on something like a folding table; or a table with folding legs? You could put it under the layout when not railroading.

Have you considered building an extension on something like a folding table; or a table with folding legs? You could put it under the layout when not railroading.
Yes I have. It's in the works. Main reason why I may not be putting a yard in this layout. It would just hog my space and would be redundant down the road.

Justin

I am really liking that. I like the loop around to the mine, I like the high line circling the mine, I like the switchback on the high line. However I do not like switchback into the loco facility. Perhaps a curved turnout to get to it directly off the main? Or is there just a missing entire 180 degree curve from that track on the right? I like the configuration of the loco facility in the first two photo's better. Just looks more "interesting".

And a point I try to make from time to time. It is all fine and dandy to plan on paper and with software, but sometimes just having a big pile of sectional track and a blank 4x8 is the best thing to work out track plans with. I've got boxes of old track just for this reason. Some of my best plans were developed in this manner.

I am really liking that. I like the loop around to the mine, I like the high line circling the mine, I like the switchback on the high line. However I do not like switchback into the loco facility. Perhaps a curved turnout to get to it directly off the main? Or is there just a missing entire 180 degree curve from that track on the right? I like the configuration of the loco facility in the first two photo's better. Just looks more "interesting".

And a point I try to make from time to time. It is all fine and dandy to plan on paper and with software, but sometimes just having a big pile of sectional track and a blank 4x8 is the best thing to work out track plans with. I've got boxes of old track just for this reason. Some of my best plans were developed in this manner.
It is missing an entire curve to it. This was a plan based strongly on the Virginian layout model railroader did.

Justin

The official track plan. I've been working the track work for it these past few weeks. Have extension possibilities through the coal marshalling yard and on the trackage going by the loadout. The yard trackage will be the link to the mainline. The other extension is for a future loadout.

Justin

Posted these in the coffee shop as well. But my progress thus far. My control panel and an overall view of the layout minus the yard and loadout trackage.

Justin

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com