New to RRmodeling

baldwin8

I have been a plastic modeler for many years and love weathering projects. I am looking to paint a few train subjects but trying to catch up with some of the vast terminology of this hobby.

The many Rail line colors are beautiful inspiration. Next week I will pick up something locally to start painting and display.:)

Welcome to the forum!

If i understand that right, you mostly enjoy just painting and weathering? Thats cool, check out the Weekly Photo Fun threads to check out other modelers skills in those subjects.

Once again, welcome and hope you share some photos of your work, we love pictures here :D

Welcome! There is room for all sorts of interests and specialties in this forum, so you should fit right in.

-Crandell

Welcome aboard! There are many great custom painters on this forum, so you should be right at home. Trains do have their own special lingo, much as aircraft or vehicles. Feel free to ask if you see a term you don't understand.

Thank you for the warm welcome. I do find hobbiest are a very welcoming group. My love has always been painting and weathering and I see trains provide a nice challenge. I'm finding some websites useful for information on car markings.

For now I will stay with just painting and weathering, although I would like to build the kit first. Lots of stock are ready to roll but there seems to be some un-assembled kits. I will be careful to not overload my plate.

What does the term "patched" refer to?

"Patched" means that the reporting mark (the initials of the former owner and the car number) are painted out, and the new owner's reporting mark and numbers are usually stenciled on. Patching can range from a very neat job using the same colors as the rest of the car, to slopping some black paint over the reporting marks and hand painting the new ones on crooked. :) This is a good example of where working from a prototype photo is invaluable, since there are so many different styles of patching.

baldwin8: Here's one example of "patched". You'll very easily find thousands more.

This particular hopper still has the paint and logo of the Minneapolis, Northfield and Southern (MN&S) prominently displayed, but the reporting marks by the number indicate it is now owned by the Dakota, Minnesota & Eastern (DM&E). The colour and pattern around the car number suggests that DME is probably at least the _third_ owner of this car.

dme16177.jpg

And here's a glorious example of another former MN&S car owned by East Erie Commercial (EEC), where the original heralds have also been painted over:

eec2483.jpg

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I did pick up a wooden caboose premarked kit which is almost ready for a flatcoat and attaching the rest of the detail parts. And I already have added a Canadian grain car to my "to do" list.

Thanks to all.

Craig

Back