New to forum & looking for a little help

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and I posted in the area to introduce myself. I am fairly new to the train world as far as wanting to start my own layout & collection. I currently have a small online business selling trains, all types & scales. I have been in this business about 6-7 years now and have learned a lot and have an abundance of train cars, locomotives, buildings, accessories, etc. I found that I really like trains & decided not only did I want to continue to sell them but I want to collect as well. There are so many neat items I didn't even know existed!! Lol... I am happy I found this forum so I can chat with like minded people. I am looking forward to getting to know everyone and also I can contribute as well.

I am not sure this is the correct space to post this but, Right now I have a locomotive that I need some information on. I don't deal with G scale items much. I mostly deal with N, HO & O scales. I personally like Prewar & Postwar Lionel cars. That is where my main interest is as far as collecting. Anyways, this G scale locomotive I recently came across I can't seem to find much information on it or even what it is worth. IT is brand new in original box. Still wrapped in plastic. I am going to attach the photos below.
It is an ARISTO CRAFT TRAINS ART-2219S Louisville & Nashville #1616 GE U25B Diesel Locomotive 1:29 scale / G Gauge NIB.

Any information would be awesome & totally appreciate any help with this. When researching it I could only find one or two that were listed on train sites but barely any information or what it is worth. I have been told it is a RARE locomotive, not sure about that. Hoping someone can help me. Thanks in advance. 🙏😊

Dina

Attachments

• DSCN2078.JPG
    DSCN2078.JPG
    285 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCN2079.JPG
    DSCN2079.JPG
    259.4 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN2080.JPG
    DSCN2080.JPG
    294.4 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCN2081.JPG
    DSCN2081.JPG
    243.3 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCN2082.JPG
    DSCN2082.JPG
    301.5 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCN2083.JPG
    DSCN2083.JPG
    291.3 KB · Views: 41
If I had a dollar for everything listed as "rare", I would be very wealthy. And rarity cuold mean they are not very good, and nobody ever bought them. I've owned a couple of automobiles over the years that were rare because they were horrible, and buyers stayed away in droves. Those old REA/Aristo engines are nice, and usually run pretty well, but when they were made, they weren't particularly expensive.
If you're wanting to start a G gauge layout, it's a nice engine to start with.
As for $$$, a few months ago I bought a box of used LGB trains for $50, and they are considered the Cadillac of G.

If I had a dollar for everything listed as "rare", I would be very wealthy. And rarity cuold mean they are not very good, and nobody ever bought them. I've owned a couple of automobiles over the years that were rare because they were horrible, and buyers stayed away in droves. Those old REA/Aristo engines are nice, and usually run pretty well, but when they were made, they weren't particularly expensive.
If you're wanting to start a G gauge layout, it's a nice engine to start with.
As for $$$, a few months ago I bought a box of used LGB trains for $50, and they are considered the Cadillac of G.
Thank you. I totally agree with you too!! I was told it was "rare" but like you said that could mean various things. I see things listed all the time that claim to be rare and I find hundreds of them..lol
I am not looking to get into the G scale stuff myself. I like O gauge, HO & N scales. I am looking to start my own diorama / layout and thinking of going with an O scale layout & an N scale layout personally.
This G scale locomotive came in a very large purchase of trains I bought from a guy that is sick & needed to clear out his collection. I got the stuff to list on my small online business, but I am definitely keeping some of the stuff to start my own collection. When I looked this locomotive up I couldn't really find anything on this particular one, but I did find other locomotives in the same brand & scale. Yes, they all seemed to range in prices from around $50 - $125 for their G scale line. I just was curious what the actual deal is with this locomotive.
I usually don't get any G scale stuff for a few reasons. One being that I sell online so that size box & weight is pretty expensive to ship, and second, they take up a lot of room. I already have two trailers, a garage & attic full of trains, buildings, accessories, track, etc.

So it is not something I want to hold on to. I appreciate your response and I totally agree with you. I haven't been doing this as long as many people on this forum but I have learned quite a bit over the years since I started buying trains. It was something that kind of just fell into our laps several years ago. My husband and I sell auto parts, OEM New & Used. He works in a body shop. I also had been dealing with vintage jewelry and I make jewelry more as a hobby. Never thought I would get into the train world. My husband bought our first two sets & they were to sell. Then he came across a guy that needed to sell all he had. The gentleman had been a collector & also had bought out a hobby shop years back & still had all of the items. The amount of accessories, Locomotives, Cars, etc. mostly in N, HO & O scales is unbelievable. I started to really get an interest in trains around then. I have tons of stuff that is not manufactured anymore and are new in packages.

Then my husband started to be contacted from hobbyists needing to sell their collections & it just grew & grew. Now I am looking to start my own layout and collection. Of course, still have to sell a lot of it. I joined the forum to meet like minded people & everyone has been so nice. I do truly appreciate your response & just wanted to give you a little of my background & how I got here. :)

Dina - traingirlsyracuseny

Thank you. I totally agree with you too!! I was told it was "rare" but like you said that could mean various things. I see things listed all the time that claim to be rare and I find hundreds of them..lol
I am not looking to get into the G scale stuff myself. I like O gauge, HO & N scales. I am looking to start my own diorama / layout and thinking of going with an O scale layout & an N scale layout personally.
This G scale locomotive came in a very large purchase of trains I bought from a guy that is sick & needed to clear out his collection. I got the stuff to list on my small online business, but I am definitely keeping some of the stuff to start my own collection. When I looked this locomotive up I couldn't really find anything on this particular one, but I did find other locomotives in the same brand & scale. Yes, they all seemed to range in prices from around $50 - $125 for their G scale line. I just was curious what the actual deal is with this locomotive.
I usually don't get any G scale stuff for a few reasons. One being that I sell online so that size box & weight is pretty expensive to ship, and second, they take up a lot of room. I already have two trailers, a garage & attic full of trains, buildings, accessories, track, etc.

So it is not something I want to hold on to. I appreciate your response and I totally agree with you. I haven't been doing this as long as many people on this forum but I have learned quite a bit over the years since I started buying trains. It was something that kind of just fell into our laps several years ago. My husband and I sell auto parts, OEM New & Used. He works in a body shop. I also had been dealing with vintage jewelry and I make jewelry more as a hobby. Never thought I would get into the train world. My husband bought our first two sets & they were to sell. Then he came across a guy that needed to sell all he had. The gentleman had been a collector & also had bought out a hobby shop years back & still had all of the items. The amount of accessories, Locomotives, Cars, etc. mostly in N, HO & O scales is unbelievable. I started to really get an interest in trains around then. I have tons of stuff that is not manufactured anymore and are new in packages.

Then my husband started to be contacted from hobbyists needing to sell their collections & it just grew & grew. Now I am looking to start my own layout and collection. Of course, still have to sell a lot of it. I joined the forum to meet like minded people & everyone has been so nice. I do truly appreciate your response & just wanted to give you a little of my background & how I got here. :)

Dina - traingirlsyracuseny
If you are a buyer and seller I suspect you already use ebay as a source of information. I have some searches going that automatically send me email listings for categories I am interested in each day. I have noticed lots of items that come up over and over at vastly different prices, when something comes up I want at a low price, I bid one bid. About 20% of the time I "win". (my wife really gets a kick out of me using that terminology).

I like to joke about how I was a winner or loser on a certain day due to my ebay activity.

I consider myself a savvy buyer, but now realize it has made me very aware of prices. I believe some sellers bid under different names to help boost the price of their products.

The one biggest threat to your business may be getting too much inventory. Just my opinion. Letting some stuff go "cheap" may actually be a good way to not be overwhelmed with stagnant stock. One such strategy I have seen successfully employed is to list items at 99 cents. This creates a lot of interest. Many of these items generate so much interest that they go above expected returns.

Anyway, I look forward to reading about your selling and buying experiences.

Dave LASM

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and I posted in the area to introduce myself. I am fairly new to the train world as far as wanting to start my own layout & collection. I currently have a small online business selling trains, all types & scales. I have been in this business about 6-7 years now and have learned a lot and have an abundance of train cars, locomotives, buildings, accessories, etc. I found that I really like trains & decided not only did I want to continue to sell them but I want to collect as well. There are so many neat items I didn't even know existed!! Lol... I am happy I found this forum so I can chat with like minded people. I am looking forward to getting to know everyone and also I can contribute as well.

I am not sure this is the correct space to post this but, Right now I have a locomotive that I need some information on. I don't deal with G scale items much. I mostly deal with N, HO & O scales. I personally like Prewar & Postwar Lionel cars. That is where my main interest is as far as collecting. Anyways, this G scale locomotive I recently came across I can't seem to find much information on it or even what it is worth. IT is brand new in original box. Still wrapped in plastic. I am going to attach the photos below.
It is an ARISTO CRAFT TRAINS ART-2219S Louisville & Nashville #1616 GE U25B Diesel Locomotive 1:29 scale / G Gauge NIB.

Any information would be awesome & totally appreciate any help with this. When researching it I could only find one or two that were listed on train sites but barely any information or what it is worth. I have been told it is a RARE locomotive, not sure about that. Hoping someone can help me. Thanks in advance. 🙏😊

Dina
I replied on the other thread so cross posting instead of dupilcating. - https://modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/new-to-the-forum.36212/post-583366

If you are a buyer and seller I suspect you already use ebay as a source of information. I have some searches going that automatically send me email listings for categories I am interested in each day. I have noticed lots of items that come up over and over at vastly different prices, when something comes up I want at a low price, I bid one bid. About 20% of the time I "win". (my wife really gets a kick out of me using that terminology).

I like to joke about how I was a winner or loser on a certain day due to my ebay activity.

I consider myself a savvy buyer, but now realize it has made me very aware of prices. I believe some sellers bid under different names to help boost the price of their products.

The one biggest threat to your business may be getting too much inventory. Just my opinion. Letting some stuff go "cheap" may actually be a good way to not be overwhelmed with stagnant stock. One such strategy I have seen successfully employed is to list items at 99 cents. This creates a lot of interest. Many of these items generate so much interest that they go above expected returns.

Anyway, I look forward to reading about your selling and buying experiences.

Dave LASM
Dave,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I deal with eBay unfortunately.. (not a fan of it in a very long time). I used to only do auctions, then I did both auctions and buy it now. I decided to stick with "buy it Now" but have option to receive offers. I found it has been the best way at least for me. I put best offer on every listing because many times I have repeat customers & customers often buy more than one item so that way I can give a better price especially since I have "free shipping" which we all know it just means it is included in the price.

I do a lot of research before listing my items and I always try to keep my prices as low as I can and price it for what the item is really worth. I been thinking lately about doing some auctions though. Especially with some of the stuff that is very low cost / priced. I try to put things in "lots" to make it worth listing with the fees I am charged, what I paid, shipping, etc.

I appreciate your input and experience. It helps me better understand what buyers want and ideas on how to handle some of the items I want to move. I am not one of those sellers that overprices their stuff. I can't stand that when I see it myself.

I am open to any and all ideas and information and other ways to go about selling. I am also trying to start my own collection and layout. I really enjoy buying, selling and now collecting trains. I will keep you updated for sure. Thanks!!

Dina

I am also trying to start my own collection and layout. I really enjoy buying, selling and now collecting trains.
Collecting is contagious. I have started so many collections, I can't afford them. Fantasy Reefers (Orange Crate style), Caboose, Santa Fe anything prototypical, E-units, PA units, passenger trains, GG1 locomotives, Northern Class Locomotives, etc. At one time I started a "Tyco" collection. Was going to try to find every cataloged item new in box. Then I realized I would need a warehouse for them all, so I bailed on that one.

Collecting is contagious. I have started so many collections, I can't afford them. Fantasy Reefers (Orange Crate style), Caboose, Santa Fe anything prototypical, E-units, PA units, passenger trains, GG1 locomotives, Northern Class Locomotives, etc. At one time I started a "Tyco" collection. Was going to try to find every cataloged item new in box. Then I realized I would need a warehouse for them all, so I bailed on that one.
I definitely can understand that for sure. I have some Brass Locomotives I have been sitting on for awhile now. I like the older Lionel trains. I want to keep my collection fairly small, mainly want to hold on to ones that I don't see very often and/or are in very good condition. I don't want to refurbish them or repaint them, etc. I like to keep them exactly how I receive them & it is how I sell them too.

I have tinkered around with some of the N scale cars though. Some of the cars that you see an endless supply of, well I took a couple & made "restaurant cars" out of them & I have made small dioramas which I ended up selling because they were unique since I made them of course..lol

I have tinkered around with some of the N scale cars though. Some of the cars that you see an endless supply of, well I took a couple & made "restaurant cars" out of them & I have made small dioramas which I ended up selling because they were unique since I made them of course..lol
I make Christmas ornaments out of N-scale cars. They go well with the Hallmark Lionel series (something else I collect). The trick is to get the loop to put the hook in exactly placed so the car balances and hangs straight.

Back