Greetings,

1st train was AF when I was three....
We changed to Ho when I was about 5
I went into N when I was about 10
Back to HO when I joined the local club in 84.

I'm a 54 year old high school band director that has served as Supt of Ops for the club for 16+ years and President or board member for at least 20.

Main areas are operations, scenery and trying to keep the children on the swingset ( layout ) playing nicely together

Club layout can be seen at CCMRC.com

I may SEEM like a jerk but my sense of humore is a cross between Dangerfield and Rickles.

Looking forward to both learning a few things as well as sharing some sucess stories.

Mike

Tchouptioulas Railway and Navagation Company

Welcome aboard, Mike. We have a number of musicians here. There must be something in common between the creativity needed for music and model railroading. Interesting name for your railroad. How did you pick it?

Welcome aboard, Mike. We have a number of musicians here. There must be something in common between the creativity needed for music and model railroading. Interesting name for your railroad. How did you pick it?

Tchouptioulas ( pronounced chopatoolas )is both the name of a street that hugs the warfs in New Orleans as well as a Native American name of a tribe of said area. When I joined the club there was a port switching area with a boxcab with that name on it. As I rewrote the history of the "Crescent Lines" ( our home road ) It made sense that we started as a small harbor line owned by the cotton merchantsd that eventually grew in size and bought bankrupt lines from Crescent City ( NOLA ) up through Natchez and into Memphis so cotton could be moved even at low river stage. Of course with our monopoly on the river front, we added produce trains and some small 1st class passenger trains to haul the filthy rich northbound....( or as some club members say ...bla bla bla)

The TRNC is the parent company with reporting marks as follows:

TRNC - Tchouptioulas Railway and Navigation ( the Crescent Line)
DL - Delta Lines
TCFB - Turner City & Frog Bayou
M&L - Mississippi & Louisiana
CL- Crescent Lines

I have a bunch of pictures on FB but still havent learned to get them here, but, this is the map of the layout, but it's at least another 1/3 larger now

http://www.ccmrc.com/images/ccmrcmap.jpg

Hi Mike, and welcome!
Yeah that swingset can be a tricky place.
So I'm guessing by the 8th line you're a "hockey puck that gets no respect"? ;)

Hi Mike, and welcome!
Yeah that swingset can be a tricky place.
So I'm guessing by the 8th line you're a "hockey puck that gets no respect"? ;)

Actually I'm the orgre ( sp ? ) that gets the best results through humor.

Things like : when running modern era about 10 years back, I kept getting a call from one of the yards to let a UP train have trackage rights ( and in a tight timetable schedule isn't always that easy to do ).....so as I give him permisssion from siding to siding and making him wait, I can tell the engineers getting hot and bothered......as I give him clearance up a decent grade to the next siding, I realize he's running his new unpainted brass steam engine so I pick up the phone and call the tower op in the area and ask if he took on water at the last two sidings....NO ? well shut his power off......

After 15 minutes of tinkering with the throttle and his loco he finally asks if he has power......Nope, you didn't take on water and blew your boiler we have some DIEsels coming down to pull you off the main......( and since he was road formen of engines, he was just a little embarassed )

Or the night one guy made a mistake and put the wrong car at the brewery's "hopper" house........a chemical tank no less......so I created a letter head and a bill from the brewery for damage caused and got the resident leagle eagle to write up a law suit........well, he never made that mistake again

Like I said, we TRY to have fun in a John Allen, Frank Ellison sort of way.

Mike, that's an interesting name for your railroad. It had a Mexican sounding name so I'm surprised you're from NOLA. Sounds like your operating sessions get pretty intense. :)

I'm a 54 year old high school band director that has served as Supt of Ops for the club for 16+ years and President or board member for at least 20.

Main areas are operations, scenery and trying to keep the children on the swingset ( layout ) playing nicely together

Welcome, Mike - with your background I'm sure you'll become one of the go-to guys here pretty soon!

that would be the new orleans club if i am correct

1st train was AF when I was three....
We changed to Ho when I was about 5
I went into N when I was about 10
Back to HO when I joined the local club in 84.

Club layout can be seen at CCMRC.com

I may SEEM like a jerk but my sense of humore is a cross between Dangerfield and Rickles.

Looking forward to both learning a few things as well as sharing some sucess stories.

Mike

Tchouptioulas Railway and Navagation Company[/QUOTE]

ok i am over in harahan,i go to the website the club has every now and then.

Bonjour mon ami, Welcome to the best train forum on the net. Lots of great people and information here.
I was seriously thinking about being a band director also (waaay back when), but in theroy class I never could get the minor thirds, and hemi-semi-demi-quavers, or what ever.
Bob

Back