New Layout, Needs some, make that a lot, of Help

Have you bought the track yet? In 1997 I started my layout using code 100. It was a mistake. Code 83 is so much better and easier to work with. I've changed a lot of it to code 83. Peco is the best. Think about it again.

George

I would second what George said about code 83 track. Unless you're running the older pizza cutter wheels, everything will work just fine on the code 83 track and it looks much better.

I agree with both Ken and George. Given the choice I'd definitely go with code 83 Peco track if you haven't already bought the code 100. The only possible downside to code 83 is the issue with older engines and rolling stock that use the cookie or pizza cutter wheel sets (deeper flanges). Although this might be a pain and a little costly, IF you have the older engines and rolling stock you could change out the trucks/wheels for newer ones. That would be preferable to me if that was the only reason not to use code 83.

As for the ease of use, I really can't comment as I have always used code 83 HO track. If the difference is only .017" then I can't imagine code 83 being any harder (or easier) to work with.

Lastly, and for what it worth, I have a bit of Peco Code 83 flex track that I no longer need and would be happy to work something out with you if you did choose to go with Peco code 83. Think I have around 10 or so lengths, about 30 or so feet' still in the box and never been used.

Back