New Layout - Looking for Ideas!

Hydra427

Hello Everyone, I have been thinking about starting a model railroad and am looking for some layout ideas. I have attached a small layout of what I am looking for. I would love any ideas that you can give me and possible track plans. I am going to be modeling in N-scale and look forward to hearing any suggestions you may have. The grids on the drawing are 12" square. I have listed some elements in the middle that I am looking to incorporate into the layout.

Thanks in advance, John

View attachment 32546

John,

Can you provide any more info about why you're interested in getting into building a model railroad?

FWIW, I couldn't get your attachment to open up.

otiscnj, Thanks for the reply, I tried opening the attachment by double clicking it at work and was able to open it with no problems. I will check when I get back home as well.

As to why I want to get back into MRR. When I was a kid my neighbor & I constructed a nice size HO layout at his house. Many days were spent building models and laying track. When I look back on this I almost laugh at how nieve we were. I have always been building models since I was a kid. Many of my interests come from model building. Now that I have a steady job I can afford some of the things that are needed to make a nice layout. I have always been fascinated by the craft and have years of Model Railroader magazines built up around my house.

I am not as interested in the actual operation of the train as I am seeing them run. This might change as the years go by but for now I am more into the running of the trains and the scenery that surrounds them.

John

Here's a similar idea for an N scale layout in a smaller space.

shrr_500.gif

You should have plenty of room. As others have noted, your thoughts on era, theme, locale, etc. will help guide your design efforts. If you haven't read it, John Armstrong's Track Planning for Realistic Operation is a tremendous resource for doing your own design.

Best of luck.

You may think you just want to see your trains run laps but you will eventually become board with this.
I highly suggest you atleast have one industry to switch at besides of running laps. You could run a few laps then stop at whatever industry to drop off empties and pick up loaded cars, head back out to do some more laps.

joed2323, I can agree with you, I would probably get bored running trains in circles. I just would like to have a couple of long runs. I plan on having a nice yard and turntable along with some sort of coal mine to keep my mind occupied with moving cars and loads.

What's on the bottom edge of that image? It looks like you'd need a walkway there. Is it possible to move the layout into that space "along the wall" and have a peninsula for the reversing loop? You might end up with more layout space and less walkway with that arrangement, which could provide additional track options.

As for layout design, if you're interested in long running trains I'd consider working in varied elevation on a single deck. Some stuff at table level in the front and some more stuff 'up in the mountains' along the back. That way it can move through the same area of the layout multiple times and have the sensation that it's going somewhere. Also, elevation helps make it all look bigger :)

I have listed some elements in the middle that I am looking to incorporate into the layout.
Those elements are at the most basic level. I would suggest getting a bunch of layout books from the library and examine all the track plans. Start picking out larger elements that you see and like from them. After assembling a list of those elements then start working them together into your layout.

For example in the May 1970 issue of MR there was a track plan for the Cumberland & Susquehanna that had two towns in it that really captured my imagination. I have incorporated elements of those two towns into many of the layouts I have designed since then. In fact, that might be an excellent layout to look into for ideas for an Allegheny flavored layout.

1. With that much space in N-scale there are many possibilities, so don't jump in on the first good idea that comes along. Get many good ideas and consider before choosing and starting to build.

2. Since you want to have a "rail fan" type layout, I would suggest making two levels for lots of train viewing, but also inclusion of many operational features for use as your model railroading appetite matures and just watching trains orbit becomes boring.

3. The Allegheny Mountains! 1960! Why go freelance? My heavens I would suggest just backing up two or three years and model the N&W. They ran their last steam locomotive in March 1960. My second suggestion would be to "model" the V&O. Freelance work takes so much research, thinking, and planning just to get a 1/2 way reasonable back story. Researching a Prototype is much easier. Were I starting totally from scratch, right now, I would model the N&W Radford Division & the Abingdon Branch.

4. Leave lots of room to park trains out of site (commonly called a hidden yard or "staging"). That way instead of watching a single or two trains circulate they can stop and a different train be brought out without having to manually take one off and put the other on. I.E. Instead of watching coal train, coal train, coal train as it loops, Watch coal train, Pocahontas, mixed freight, express reefer, coal train...

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get alot more track for even longer mainline runs if you go up, as in atleast a helix to get up to the second level.

It has to be set at the right height for both levels or you loose the effect and it doesnt look right. Some people even hate anything more then one level. Its personal preference really.

I wanted to add a second deck to my layout, but my main level is set at a height of about 50 inches, and if i went higher i would be looking at around 65-70 inches, yeah thats pretty tall, basically head level, not many people think thats cool. I built my layout height and didnt think i would want to go higher but things change. So figure out before hand what you want out of your layout. In my case i can just build outward since my layout is in a corner of my basement :)

So before you start building the height of your layout, figure out if you only want one level, if so i like to look at my layout no lower then chest level, i personaly do not like the helicopter view of some layouts, but thats my preference, everyone has there own likes.

There are several things that you can do to generate ideas. One suggestion that was given was study layout plan books. That is a great idea. As a part time layout designer, I "steal" ideas from them all the time. I also "steal" elements from plans in the mags.

What I would do is to start writing down any idea that you have about the RR. I would also get the John Armstrong book, "Track Planning for Realistic Operation", available from Kalmbach Publishing. Its the bible of layout planning, whether its planning for just mainline running or for straight forward operations.

Ironhorseman, Thanks for the great idea about the Cumberland & Susquehanna. I actually picked up the 1970 May issue and found that track plan quite nice. I will base a lot of my line on that plan with a little free-hand as well. I would still like to run a dual main line but might have to re-think that plan as well.

I am planning on running a lower staging level under the back wall which would be the 2' x 14' area at the top of the plan. Still need to figure out how I want to get my trains down there.

I made about 50 copies of the room layout and now its time to start putting the ideas from the Cumberland & Susquehanna down on that. I am also thinking of incorporating some of David Popp's Naugatuck Valley as well. Based on what I am thinking this will give me a main run of about 80 ft. I hope that will be enough.

By the way, does anyone want to buy a bedroom set. I still need to sell this before I begin on tearing out the carpeting and doing some redecorating as the saying goes! I am actually thinking about laying a cork flooring in the room. I think that would help with standing and might soften any accidents that fall off the layout.

What do you recommend as the height for the layout? I have read many different rules of thumb. Is it just a matter of opinion?

Thanks, John

New Yard for Layout

Here is a yard I have designed for the back of the layout. Please let me know what you think and if I should change anything. The main line is the top two tracks and the bottom most track. I still have a long way to go on this design. The overall dimensions of the area shown ar 24" x 168"

Yard1.png

It looks good for a steam engine service facility, given the turntable. Most yards for classifying freight cars don't include a turntable, that I've seen, other than to service engines.

(snip)
What do you recommend as the height for the layout? I have read many different rules of thumb. Is it just a matter of opinion?

Thanks, John

The height of the layout depends on how you want to run it, and access requirements. You mention having a two-level layout, with one being a staging area. Typically, unless you are running a helix, a 3-1/2 to 4-in. clearance will be necessary. A 4 percent grade is doable, so you have to figure how much of a run you have room for to gain that.

The height of the top level can be at eye-level or slightly below. If you are standing, that can be anywhere from 42 in. and up (if you have platforms for people to stand on). If, like this old codger, like to sit down a lot of the time, then 32 - 36 inches will work. The advantage to the 30 - 36 in. height is that small kids from about 5 years old and up can still see the trains run.

The range of your reach to the farthest points of the layout will also dictate the height. At 32" maximum reach is probably about 30" or so. At 36", reach can probably be 24-28", depending, of course, on your arm length and height. But these are things you ought to consider. Hope this helps.

Started to work on drawing the layout with a lot of inspiration from many sources. I am really stuck on the back of the layout though. I like the way everything else is coming together but need to address a few issues. I would like to have the tracks run close together along the back so that I can incorporate a crossover of some kind to run trains in both directions around the layout with out having to turn them around. I would also really like to add a turntable/yard that adds more to the layout than distracts from it. It's like the back of the layout has amind of it's own and doesn't want to be part of the overall picture. Below is a picture of what I have come up with so far. I still have a lot of side tracks and run offs to add but want to know if any of you have some ideas for the back of the layout.

NewGGScarmLayout_zps39d3b625.png

New Yard Layout

Here is another layout with the back looking a little more interesting. Still not 100% with this but starting to like it a little bit more.

NewGGScarmLayout2_zpsaab88b4f.png

Back